+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: US Open (Tennis)

FORT Fogey
    I'm jealous Broadway!!!!! It's good to know that tennis coverage has finally gotten wise to using things like that! I have to say I was getting really pissed at USA last night when Sharapova was done (loved her dress BTW - I usually hate the "street clothes looking tennis clothes" thing, but on her, it just works) and instead of going to the Murray/Kendrick match, or the Ginepri/Benneteau match, they went to a bunch of produced packages telling us things we had already known.

Speaking of which - I need to vent about another detail of USA's coverage. Just how many times are they going to make us watch the same darn Agassi match? I appreciate that there are people - a lot of people - who like Andre A LOT more than I do. And I appreciate that it's his last tournament and that it is a VERY big deal. I get all that. But they've replayed his first round match over and over and over! Why on earth show it AGAIN last night for their last half hour of coverage? Why not show some of the other matches (ahem - Ginepri ... Murray ...) that they were not able to show earlier???? Frustrating!

I was tickled to see Hewitt do as well as he did yesterday. I have to wonder if he's doing more damage to his long term career playing as hard as he is. As little as his camp is saying about his knee, there's obviously more damage there than they care to let on.

FORT Fogey
    All hail Marcos Baghdatis!!!!! I haven't paid a great deal of attention to him this year, but I've really enjoyed watching him when I have. But last night - WOW! I adore the guy now. He climbed up the ladder of my favorite players last night so quickly! What a class act. To fight back like he did from 2 sets, 4 games down was a feat in itself. But to fight through the cramping as he did, and to not just throw in the towel was inspiring to watch. I went from wanting Agassi to win, to wanting both of them to win, to being broken hearted that Baghdatis couldn't win. And then he absolutely topped it off in his post-match interview. I hope that next year he comes on strong and that HE is the one who breaks through to knock Federer down once and for all.

FORT Fogey
    I was glad to see that Roddick recognized last night just how big his win was. We've known since Cincinnati that he had his game back. Last night managing to oust Hewitt in just 3 sets, he proved he's got his heart back. I fully expected that to be a 5-setter that would boil down to who wanted it more. It's just not normal to see Hewitt's drive removed from him so surgically, but Roddick did it.

In my dream world (and I doubt it will happen, but a girl's gotta dream) James Blake will look at Roddick's match as inpsiration, not like the idea of Roddick taking back the title of top American man so quickly, and use that to give him the determination he needs to oust Federer tonight (I know, I know, that's why I said it's a dream and not a prediction!) Nothing would make me happier than to end all the "goodbye Andre" talk once and for all with an all-American final.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka View Post
    In my dream world (and I doubt it will happen, but a girl's gotta dream) James Blake will look at Roddick's match as inpsiration, not like the idea of Roddick taking back the title of top American man so quickly, and use that to give him the determination he needs to oust Federer tonight (I know, I know, that's why I said it's a dream and not a prediction!) Nothing would make me happier than to end all the "goodbye Andre" talk once and for all with an all-American final.
    You know.. stranger things have happened. Look at Nadal's match yesterday! wooohooo!

(and no, I'm not holding my breath, either.)

I'd love to see Blake pull off the upset.

I'm not holding my breath either.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

FORT Fogey
    I think I want to see it happen so much because I am so tired of the tennis story the way that the press seems to have settled on it having to be. Federer is on top. Nadal is second. European men dominate the entire sport, and the American men can play poker really well, and they're nice guys but they suck as tennis players and they just don't care.

The more tennis I follow, the more I realize that the tennis press attempts to create characters in various players - needing good guys and heels, much like pro wrestling. It amazes me the way that two players can have virtually the same game, and have similair records, and be portrayed in coverage in entirely different ways. Really - what is the difference between the way that Andy Murray plays and the way that Robby Ginepri plays? Both have had some big wins, but don't get the big wins consistently, and battle confidence issues to make the big break through. But Murray faces every press conference with a "way to go!" attitude in the questions, while Ginepri faces every press conference with a "how did you manage to walk in here you suck so bad" line of questions. For whatever reason (most likely Brad Gilbert's threats) the press is absolutely infatuated with Murray right now, for no good reason. I'm so tired of hearing that he beat Federer. He did not beat Federer in Cincinnati. He happened to be on the right court at the right time when Federer didn't make a very good effort and beat himself. Had Roddick, Blake, or Hewitt been on the court when Federer lost, it would have been reported as "Well sure he got the win, but he really didn't beat Federer. Federer was not playing his game that day".

That's why I get giddy when Roddick starts a post-match interview making comments like "Looks like I remember how to play after all". The tennis media needs to get back to covering the action as it happens, and quit trying to create fictional characters from all the players.

Okay, that rant went a thousand different directions, but I feel much better now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner View Post
    I'd love to see Blake pull off the upset.
    Me too.
    I'd like to say it's purely because I love to watch his tennis prowess, but lets be honest.

I was so hoping Sharapova would go out yesterday.
    I can't bear to watch her matches with that shrieking she does on every.single.shot.
    The umpires should tell her to turn down to volume on those grunts, it must be so off-putting to play against her, it certianly makes her damn near unwatchable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff View Post
    Me too.
    I'd like to say it's purely because I love to watch his tennis prowess, but lets be honest.
    I'm right there with you. I don't want to see him win just because he battled back from a life threatening illness either. Basically, I just want to see him on my tv screen a few days longer.

As for Sharapova. I've taken to watching her matches on mute. They are much more tolerable that way.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

FORT Fogey
    I am so torn on Sharapova. There are some things about her I just adore. I love both her and Nike for the whole "I feel pretty" campaign. I think I like anything that laughs in the face of the idea that women have to choose beauty or athletics because you can't have both. And while I've usually hated Serena's attempts to make tennis clothes look like street clothes, Maria just pulls off the black evening dress so well I have to give her props for it. I can even handle the shrieks -- it's an effective way to make sure your oponent doesn't know if you're hitting the ball flat or with spin.

But her pre-serve routine is so long and detailed that i just want to reach through my tv screen and mess up her hair every time she pretends to put it behind her ears even though it hasn't moved from the last time. And the degree to which she and her dad go to the mid-match coaching is disgusting. I know they all do it, but the two of them, along with Gilbert / Murray just flaunt it so much, in a "I dare you to call me on it" kind of way that they need to be slapped down for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka View Post
    And the degree to which she and her dad go to the mid-match coaching is disgusting. I know they all do it, but the two of them, along with Gilbert / Murray just flaunt it so much, in a "I dare you to call me on it" kind of way that they need to be slapped down for it.
    Not too hard, though - Jimbo was really getting into it last night.

And, on the Jimbo note, it almost seems as if he's given Andy a few tips on just how to behave. For a couple of minutes there last night, I thought I was flashing back to many years ago (yes, I'm just that old), but I wasn't.

I'm disappointed that Nadal is out, but I hope he did learn a little something. I'm also personally disappointed that Marat Safin is out. He's so perplexing to me, and I keep hoping he'll come back around.

My true regret, though, is that Lindsay lost. First, I do think she'll retire, and I'll miss watching her. And, I just cannot bring myself to think positive thoughts about Justine.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast