+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tour de France 2006 Now With Immediate Scandal

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar
    With his upbringing, I find it hard to believe he would lie to his parents or they would lie to the press if they knew he'd done it. It's not the Mennonite way to do things.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by DagnyTaggart View Post
    I hope he is telling the truth. Seems improbable...but it sucks to see someone disgrace themselves in that way.

When the accusations against Marion Jones came up before the last Olympics, she gave a press conference from a room in my building at work. I stumbled across it by accident and sat in the press conference with all the reporters - about 20 feet from her. She was so adamant that it was all some kind of witch hunt. She was so sincere that she would never ever put that crap in her body. I belived her completely. Then, it ends up coming out that she was doping as much as Bonds - and from the same BALCO supplier. It's just galling when these people do something stupid, get caught, and then have the nerve to act like a victim.
    finally we agree on something

Father-in-law of cyclist Landis commits suicide in San Diego

This is so sad. Imagine how his daughter feels.
    By ALLISON HOFFMAN, Associated Press Writer
    August 16, 2006

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- The father-in-law of embattled Tour de France winner Floyd Landis was found dead in his car after committing suicide, coroner's officials said Wednesday.

The body of 57-year-old David Witt was discovered at a parking garage Tuesday afternoon, said Paul Parker, an investigator with the San Diego County Medical Examiner. He had a gunshot wound to the head, and the death was ruled a suicide, Parker said.

"The Landises are devastated by the news of David's death," family spokesman Michael Henson told The Associated Press. "They loved him dearly, and they miss him."

Witt was the stepfather of Landis' wife, Amber.

Landis' close friend, Dwight van Slyke, said he did not believe the recent doping allegations against the cyclist directly led to the suicide.

"It could have been a few percentages of the whole maybe, or just another negative thing that he was depressed over," said van Slyke, adding Witt had also been struggling under the strain of opening a new restaurant earlier this year.

An avid amateur cyclist, Witt met Landis through a mutual coach in 1998 and at one point the two shared an apartment in San Diego, Henson said. It was Witt who introduced Landis to his future wife and has been credited with introducing Landis -- a former mountain biker -- to the world of road racing.

Witt and Landis served as best man at each other's weddings, Henson said. Witt married Amber Landis' mother Rose, a schoolteacher, a short time after the younger couple married in 2000.

Landis has been under investigation by cycling authorities after testing positive for high levels of testosterone last month. The Tour de France has said it no longer considers Landis its champion.

The 30-year-old cyclist has cited a variety of possible reasons for his failed test: ingesting something that raised his testosterone, cortisone shots for pain in his degenerating hip, drinking beer and whiskey the night before the test, thyroid medication, his natural metabolism and dehydration.

Funeral arrangements for Witt were pending.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news?slug...v=ap&type=lgns

Landis asks for case dismissal

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/cyclin...ory?id=2580393

Associated Press

Floyd Landis' lawyer wants U.S. doping authorities to drop their case against the Tour de France winner, contending there were "inconsistencies" in the way the drug tests were handled.

Attorney Howard Jacobs said he plans to submit a formal request Monday to the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency that it dismiss evidence showing the cyclist tested positive for testosterone after capturing the sport's showcase race in July.

Landis has insisted he is innocent, and Jacobs said the positive tests point to a "premature public conviction."

"In our review of the documents detailing the tests on both the 'A' and 'B' sample, we have found evidence that supports our request for USADA to drop the doping charges against Landis," Jacobs said in a statement posted on Landis' Web site Friday. "While I cannot comment on the full details of our findings, we now have the foundation for a very strong defense should the case proceed to arbitration."

Jacobs said he and a team of scientists found "inconsistencies in the testing protocol and methodology" during a review of 370 pages of documents he received Aug. 31 from the French national anti-doping laboratory near Paris.

Testosterone, a male sex hormone, helps build muscle and improve stamina. The urine tests were done July 20 after Landis' Stage 17 victory during a grueling Alpine leg of the Tour de France. He regained nearly eight minutes against then-leader Oscar Pereiro and went on to win the three-week race.

Jacobs' move to clear Landis follows the announcement Wednesday that Marion Jones was cleared of doping after her "B" sample came up negative for the banned endurance enhancer EPO, negating her positive "A" sample. Jacobs also represents Jones.

Landis was fired by his Phonak team and discredited as Tour de France winner Aug. 5 when his "B" sample tested positive for higher-than-allowable levels of testosterone.

"Once again, we are asking for complete transparency in this process," Jacobs said. "Floyd has maintained his innocence from the outset and what we have found in the official document package points to a premature public conviction before all of the evidence could be considered.

"This is another example why the leaking of an 'A' sample results and violating the athletes' right to anonymity is such a horrible thing. It is this exact scenario that caused the rules governing anti-doping cases in the United States to be amended in 2004, to allow an athlete concerned about fairness to request that a hearing be opened to the public."

Also Friday, the head of the French Council to Prevent and Combat Doping revealed that 13 riders tested positive for drugs at the Tour de France this year, and all except Landis had medical certificates allowing them to take banned substances.

Of the 105 riders tested, 60 percent had the certificates, said Pierre Bordry, who is concerned by the large number of cyclists who had such medical certificates, which are approved by the sport's governing body.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

FORT Fogey

Re: Tour de France 2006 Now With Immediate Scandal

Former Tour de France champion Riis admits doping< - Cycling - Yahoo! Sports

Former Tour de France champion Riis admits doping<

COPENHAGEN, Denmark (AP) -- Former Danish cyclist Bjarne Riis admitted Friday he used performance-enhancing drugs during his 1996 Tour de France victory.

"I have taken doping. I have taken EPO," Riis said during a televised news conference. "I have made errors and I would like to apologize."

Riis said he used the substances from 1993 to 1998, including during his Tour victory. Riis said he no longer considers himself a worthy winner of the Tour, and indicated he would be willing to give back the title.

"My jersey is at home in a cardboard box," said Riis, now manager of the CSC team. "They are welcome to come and get it. I have my memories for myself."

Riis' admission came as 2006 Tour winner Floyd Landis awaited a ruling in his doping case. Landis, who tested positive for synthetic testosterone, could be stripped of his title and banned from cycling for two years if found guilty. An arbitration panel considered his case in a nine-day hearing that ended this week.

Riis' confession came a day after Eric Zabel and Rolf Aldag, two Germans who were support riders for Riis on the Telekom team, admitted using performance-enhancing drugs while riding for the team in the 1990s. They also said they took EPO -- or erythropoietin -- a synthetic hormone that stimulates the production of oxygen-carrying red blood cells.

"Now time has come to put the cards on the table," Riis said as he calmly read a statement before a packed news conference. "I have done things which I have regretted."

Danish rider Brian Holm, another former member of the Telekom team, also confirmed Thursday he had taken EPO.

Riis, the only Dane to have won the Tour de France, has been a national hero in the small Nordic country with a cycling tradition. Until now, he repeatedly denied taking performance-enhancing drugs during his 14-year career as a professional

Well , well, well can this sport be in anymore trouble

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234