+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tour de France 2006 Now With Immediate Scandal

PARIS (AP) -- Floyd Landis was fired by his team and the Tour de France no longer considered him its champion after his second doping sample tested positive Saturday for higher-than-allowed levels of testosterone.

The second or "B" sample, "confirmed the result of an adverse analytical finding" in the "A" sample, the International Cycling Union said.

The Swiss-based team Phonak immediately severed ties with Landis and the UCI said it would ask USA Cycling to open disciplinary proceedings against him.

"Landis will be dismissed without notice for violating the teams internal Code of Ethics," Phonak said in a statement. "Landis will continue to have legal options to contest the findings. However, this will be his personal affair, and the Phonak team will no longer be involved in that."

Landis' doping samples also contained synthetic testosterone, indicating that it came from an outside source, the head of France's anti-doping commission said Saturday.

Pierre Bordry, who heads the French anti-doping council, said the Chatenay-Malabry lab that turned up higher-than-allowable levels of the hormone in two samples had found synthetic testosterone.

"I have received a text message from Chatenay-Malabry lab that indicates the 'B' sample of Floyd Landis' urine confirms testosterone was taken in an exogenous way," Bordry told The Associated Press.

Landis has claimed the testosterone was "natural and produced by my own organism."

Tour de France director Christian Prudhomme said Landis no longer was considered champion, but the decision to strip him of his title rests with the UCI.

"It goes without saying that for us Floyd Landis is no longer the winner of the 2006 Tour de France," Prudhomme told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. "Our determination is even stronger now to fight against doping and to defend this magnificent sport."

Prudhomme said runner-up Oscar Pereiro of Spain would be the likely new winner.

"We can't imagine a different outcome," Prudhomme said.

If stripped of the title, Landis would become the first winner in the 103-year history of cycling's premier race to lose his Tour crown over doping allegations.

UCI lawyer Philippe Verbiest said Landis would officially remain Tour champion pending the American disciplinary process.

"Until he is found guilty or admits guilt, he will keep the yellow jersey," he said. "This is normal. You are not sanctioned before you are found guilty."

If found guilty, Landis also faces a two-year ban from the sport.

Despite the second positive test, Landis maintained his innocence.

"I have never taken any banned substance, including testosterone," he said in a statement. "I was the strongest man at the Tour de France, and that is why I am the champion.

"I will fight these charges with the same determination and intensity that I bring to my training and racing. It is now my goal to clear my name and restore what I worked so hard to achieve."

Landis' urine sample was analyzed at the Chatenay-Malabry lab outside Paris.

The results of the second test come nearly two weeks after he stood atop the winner's podium on the Champs-Elysees in the champion's yellow jersey.

Landis' positive tests set off what could now be months of appeals and arguments by the American, who says the positive finding was due to naturally high testosterone levels. He has repeatedly declared his innocence.

"It's incredibly disappointing," three-time Tour winner Greg LeMond said by phone from the starting line at the Pan Mass Challenge in Sturbridge, Mass. "I don't think he has much chance at all to try to prove his innocence."

The tests were conducted on urine samples drawn July 20 after Landis' Stage 17 victory during a grueling Alpine leg, when he won back nearly eight minutes against then-leader Pereiro -- and went on to win the three-week race.

The case is expected to go to the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency; the process could take months, possibly with appeals to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

"It doesn't end here," said Landis' Spanish lawyer, Jose Maria Buxeda. "What matters is the concept. A prohibited substance has been found in the samples, but no immediate sanction comes into effect yet. The rider will defend himself."

Landis, a 30-year-old former mountain biker, says he was tested eight other times during the three-week tour and those results came back negative.

Landis' spokesman Michael Henson confirmed this week that the rider had tested positive for a testosterone-epitestosterone ratio of 11:1 -- well above the 4:1 limit.

Landis has hired high-profile American lawyer Howard Jacobs, who has represented several athletes in doping cases.

Jacobs plans to go after the UCI for allegedly leaking information regarding the sample testing.

Earlier this week, a New York Times report cited a source from the UCI saying that a second analysis of Landis' "A" sample by carbon isotope ratio testing had detected synthetic testosterone -- meaning it was ingested.

Since the Phonak team was informed of the positive test on July 27, Landis and his defense team have offered varying explanations for the high testosterone reading -- including cortisone shots taken for pain in Landis' degenerating hip; drinking beer and whiskey the night before; thyroid medication; and his natural metabolism.

Another theory -- dehydration -- was rebuffed by anti-doping experts.

"When I heard it was synthetic hormone, it is almost impossible to be caused by natural events. It's kind of a downer," said LeMond, the first American to win the Tour. "I feel for Floyd's family. I hope Floyd will come clean on it and help the sport. We need to figure out how to clean the sport up, and we need the help of Floyd."
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

That's just such a shame. I have trouble believing he might really keep saying he didn't do it when the tests show he did, but I guess I'm just naive.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Seriously dude was it worth it?

Let due process take it's course and any retesting that needs to be done because I would much rather see all necessary angles played out to make sure no funny business took place in the testing. That being said.....
    my personal feeling is that dude is dirty and if in fact he is like others who have tested positive I just wish he and they would come clean(no pun indented) and say they cheated and move on rather then continue to claim that their success came naturally.

When I saw that he overcame such a disastrous day and came back from 11th place to claim the top spot and he tested positive after that mirraculous stage there was no doubt in my mind he was dirty and when the initial test claimed he had an 11:1 ratio
    of testosterone to epitestosterone that nailed it. That's nearly triple what's allowable. If he can produce that much testosterone naturally he has other "professional " options available to him.

Just admit that you cheated now and move on rather then wait 5-10 years to tell the truth on ESPN's Outside The Lines in a tear filled confession.Maybe you and Barry Bonds can hold hands and support each other through these difficult times.

Landis and his defense team have offered varying explanations for the high testosterone reading -- including cortisone shots taken for pain in Landis' degenerating hip; drinking beer and whiskey the night before; thyroid medication; and his natural metabolism.
    Well, which is it? I want to believe him, but wen you put out a flurry of differing excuses, it looks shady. During the handful of times the UCI went after Armstrong, Lance counter-attacked hard and swift. He never had any excuses.

"When I heard it was synthetic hormone, it is almost impossible to be caused by natural events. It's kind of a downer," said LeMond, the first American to win the Tour. "I feel for Floyd's family. I hope Floyd will come clean on it and help the sport. We need to figure out how to clean the sport up, and we need the help of Floyd."
    Funny how LeMond offers condolences to Landis, knowing full well Floyd will never be on the same level as him. Yet, a few years ago he trashed Armstrong and to this day he has to have his arm pulled in order to admit Lance really was that good.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Quote Originally Posted by did_it_again View Post
    Seriously dude was it worth it?
    That's what I keep thinking. Who cares what you've won if you're juiced up when you do it? Maybe he'll be cleared by some miracle, but its looking less and less possible.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

This was a story that I didn't want to believe. Since Landis keeps changing his story and since the testosterone was artificial, he does not come off looking very well. I still don't understand it. From what I read taking testosterone in the middle of the race would not have helped it. It certainly would not have made him able to make that incredible run after cracking in the mountains the day before.
    It is going to make it difficult to watch the tour again.
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

FORT Fogey
    so guys what's the update? does he keep the title

From what I understand he is no longer considered to be the winner of the Tour. As far as being"officially stipped of the title and the second place finisher,Oscar Pereiro being declared the rightful victor is take some more time.

Pereiro: 'Now I consider myself the winner'
    Associated Press

VIGO, Spain -- Oscar Pereiro no longer thinks of himself as runner-up in the Tour de France.

"Now I consider myself the winner," he told a press conference in his hometown on Saturday.

The Tour itself renounced Floyd Landis as its champion Saturday after the second of two urine samples tested positive for higher-than-allowable levels of testosterone. Pierre Bordry, who leads the French anti-doping council, said the samples contained synthetic testosterone, indicating that it came from an outside source.

Tour de France director Christian Prudhomme said Landis was no longer considered champion.

Runner-up Pereiro would be the likely new winner, but Prudhomme said the decision to strip Landis of the title rests with the International Cycling Union.

Pereiro said he felt badly for Landis, whom he thought must be living the worst days of his life.

"I consider him my friend, it surprised me and hurt me to hear what had happened to him," he said.

But Pereiro said he regretted not having been able to celebrate a win properly, in Paris, wearing the winner's yellow jersey, having his photograph taken on the podium.

"I would have liked to have lived that day, it would have been the best day of my life, as a sportsman," Pereiro said.

He said riders at the Tour had undergone 400 doping tests. Landis has said he was tested nine times, and Pereiro said Saturday he went through four doping checks.

"The bad thing is that the winner should have failed," Pereiro said. "I trust Floyd, but the analysis shows he may have broken a rule. He failed an anti-doping test. If you fail the norms set, then you have to be withdrawn."

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/cyclin...ory?id=2540409

FORT Fanatic
    I hope he is telling the truth. Seems improbable...but it sucks to see someone disgrace themselves in that way.

When the accusations against Marion Jones came up before the last Olympics, she gave a press conference from a room in my building at work. I stumbled across it by accident and sat in the press conference with all the reporters - about 20 feet from her. She was so adamant that it was all some kind of witch hunt. She was so sincere that she would never ever put that crap in her body. I belived her completely. Then, it ends up coming out that she was doping as much as Bonds - and from the same BALCO supplier. It's just galling when these people do something stupid, get caught, and then have the nerve to act like a victim.

Yeah, and Marion Jones divorced her husband soon after he was busted for juicing up.

These athletes who get busted always deny ,deny ,deny till the very end. This guy will do just like all the others. I'm still waiting for the tearful confession and weak apology to his family, friends,fans,supporters,and of course...... all the little children.

I liked his mom's initial reaction that she hoped that he wasn't guilty, but that if he was, he didn't deserve the title. My own mom would take that stance if it were me involved in something like that. It's nice to see parents support their kids without enabling their bad behavior.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast