+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Grand Prix - 2006 Champ Car

Grand Prix - 2006 Champ Car

We're set to host another West Edmonton Mall Grand Prix race this summer following an amazingly successful first run last year! The race is held on the airport runways of the Municipal Airport here in town. I grew up not far from there and even though I moved, I could hear the roar of the cars and the crowds day and night during the races!

Of course, we are voting for Canadian Paul Tracy to drive it home. Last year he did not do well. But if I remember Allmendinger and somebody??were amazing. The race captivated a City with loads of racing fans. I am so excited I can't remember the names from last year

Attachment 17586Attachment 17587
    Champ car driver Paul Tracy, from Canada, watches as Bruno Junqueira takes the pole position at Portland International Raceway for the second day of the Portland Grand Prix in Portland, Ore., Saturday, June 17, 2006. Junqueira snuck in late in qualifying to take the pole position from A.J. Allmendinger. (AP Photo/Rick Bowmer)
    http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...f20fea4418f172
    Last edited by misskitty; 08-30-2006 at 02:03 AM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

2006 Champ Car Schedule

Who, what, where, when? Click on the link below to find out all you need to know about Champ Car’s next race. We have the scoop on the drivers that will be there and the cars they’ll be showing up in. We’ve got the location for sure, and we know when it all goes down. Plan ahead and get a good seat, whether it’s in the bleachers or in your own living room.

Date Event Location
    2006-04-09 Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach Long Beach, California
    2006-05-13 Grand Prix of Houston Houston, Texas
    2006-05-21 Tecate Telmex Monterrey Grand Prix Monterrey, Mexico 2006-06-04 Time Warner Cable Road Runner 225 West Allis, Wisconsin
    2006-06-18 G.I. Joe's Grand Prix of Portland Portland, Oregon
    2006-06-25 Grand Prix of Cleveland Cleveland, Ohio
    2006-07-09 Molson Grand Prix of Toronto Toronto, Canada
    2006-07-23 Grand Prix of Edmonton Edmonton, Canada
    2006-07-30 San Jose Grand Prix San Jose, California
    2006-08-13 Centrix Financial Grand Prix of Denver Denver, Colorado
    2006-08-27 Molson Indy Montreal Montreal, Canada
    2006-09-24 Grand Prix of Road America Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin
    2006-10-15 South Korean Grand Prix Ansan, South Korea
    2006-10-22 Lexmark Indy 300 Surfers Paradise, Australia
    2006-11-05 Gran Premio Telmex/Tecate Mexico City, Mexico

http://www.automotive.com/features/9...006/index.html

Champ Car Driver Standings

Want to check the pecking order of the various Champ Car drivers? We’ve got the rankings right here. Drivers are listed in descending amount of points, which are the determining factor. In case you want to make your own sense of the numbers, each driver’s total number of starts, wins, and frequency of qualifying in the Top 5 and Top 10 are the other statistics at your disposal.

Rank Champ Car Driver Points
    1 Sebastien Bourdais 136
    2 Justin Wilson 105
    3 Andrew Ranger 75
    4 Mario Dominguez 69
    4 A.J. Allmendinger 69
    6 Nelson Philippe 61
    7 Paul Tracy 59
    8 Alex Tagliani 56
    9 Cristiano da Matta 55
    10 Will Power 50
    11 Katherine Legge 49
    12 Oriol Servia 48
    13 Jan Heylen 40
    14 Dan Clarke 39
    15 Charles Zwolsman 37
    16 Bruno Junqueira 35
    17 Nicky Pastorelli 21
    18 Antonio Pizzonia 11
    19 Jimmy Vasser 7

http://www.automotive.com/features/9...ngs/index.html

I realize I'm the only one posting here. So why doesn't anyone else watch Champ Car? There's been firings, crashes, injuries, flying cars.....What's not to love. Oh, and love too!
    -----------------------

A.J. Allmendinger just got engaged to his massage therapist. He just won in Cleveland and is gaining on Sebastien Bourdais in the race for the Champ Car series championship. His second straight win. Unfortunately it took another car landing on Bourdais car for Allmendinger to win the race.

Bourdais somehow escaped serious injury when the bottom of Paul Tracy's car landed on his helmet. The crash triggered the first of a record nine yellow caution flags at Burke Lakefront Airport. Only 11 cars from a field of 18 finished in the race's 25th anniversary.

"That was just the craziest race I've ever been in," the 24-year-old Allmendinger said.

Allmendinger, the 2004 rookie of the year, has had an eventful two weeks in which he is finally showing his potential. He was fired by RuSport, got engaged, was hired by Forsythe Championship Racing and won his first race in Portland, Ore.

Suddenly, he's 2-for-2 and became the first U.S.-born driver to win back-to-back races in the series in a decade.
    "I was able to pull a huge gap because my car was so good," he said.

He avoided trouble the rest of the way and took the lead for good on Lap 80 when Alex Tagliani pitted.

Allmendinger's last pit came in Lap 64 and he had to be careful to conserve fuel down the stretch. He finished 3.279 seconds ahead of Bruno Junqueira. Servia was third.

"It tried to survive all the close calls," Junqueira said. "The whole race was excitement."

Some parts were downright scary.

Tracy went airborne after he got sandwiched between Bourdais and Junqueira, tearing off Junqueira's rear wing, which went fluttering into the air.

Tracy's car climbed over Bourdais' right side and landed on him.

"I got turned around and the next thing I knew was that there was a car on top of my head," Bourdais said. "He missed the roll bar and was pushing me down into the cockpit. I was the shock absorber for him."

Bourdais believed he started losing consciousness because the next thing he knew he was in the grass and people were running to him.

The two-time series defending champion was released from the hospital after precautionary tests showed no serious injuries. He signed autographs afterward.

Tracy, the defending Cleveland champion, ran 41 laps after he landed, but his damaged car went into the wall in Turn 8 during a yellow flag.

Parts seemed to be flying off cars the entire day and even the final lap of the time-shortened race didn't go without a hitch. Rookie Dan Clarke and Mario Dominguez became entangled and lost sure podium spots.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060626/...mp_cleveland_3

So anyway, the Grand Prix is finally here and I get to go with a corporate pass from my sinister's company who is a sponsor. We have pit seating!

There were 48,000 people there today and it was only practices. It was 105 degrees down by the track. The heat is making it very fast, around 300mph. Allmendinger is going for his 4th win and Tracy is trying just to get one win in. There were a couple of great crashes, one in which a camera man nearly got creamed. He's ok.

BTW, in case anyone is interested, LAS VEGAS is vying for a stop on the circuit for 2007!

Just in case anyone cares, the final was held today under blue skies and a full house of 59,000+ fans.

Wilson claimed his FIRST Win!
    Bourdais second
    Allmendinger third
    Servia fourth
    Tracey 5th

Bourdais still leads the championship ahead of Wilson and Allmendinger.

The next race is set for SAN JOSE, CA.
    --------------

I have to say I had a great time at the race viewing from a corporate hospitality suite in the shade overlooking the pits. WOO HOO...Until next year ......VROOM VROOM!

+ Reply to Thread