+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roethlisberger hurt in motorcycle crash

Roethlisberger hurt in motorcycle crash

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060613/...er_accident_10
    By JOE MANDAK, Associated Press Writer 36 minutes ago

PITTSBURGH - Steelers star Ben Roethlisberger, the youngest quarterback to lead a team to the Super Bowl championship, broke his jaw and nose in a motorcycle crash Monday in which he was not wearing a helmet.

Roethlisberger was in serious but stable condition, Dr. Larry Jones, chief of trauma at Mercy Hospital said before surgery.

The player's agent, Leigh Steinberg, described the injuries to The Associated Press and said he did not know if there was further damage.

"He was talking to me before he left for the operating room," Jones said. "He's coherent. He's making sense. He knows what happened. He knows where he is. From that standpoint, he's very stable."

Roethlisberger's mother, Brenda, was crying as she arrived at the hospital.

Steelers president Art Rooney II said the team was "encouraged by the early reports from the medical team" at the hospital. "I am sure Ben knows that we are praying for his complete recovery."

The 24-year-old Roethlisberger was without a helmet, police said. He has said he likes to ride without one, a habit that once prompted a lecture from Pittsburgh coach Bill Cowher.

Roethlisberger was on his black 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa the company calls it the world's fastest bike for legal street riding and heading toward an intersection on the edge of downtown. A Chrysler New Yorker traveling in the opposite direction took a left turn and collided with the motorcycle, and Roethlisberger was thrown, police said.

The other car was driven by a 62-year-old woman, police said. They didn't immediately release her name and no charges were filed.

Witness Sandra Ford was waiting at a bus stop when she said she saw the motorcycle approach. Seconds later, she said she heard a crash, saw the motorcyclist in the air and ran toward the crash scene.

"He wasn't moving and I was afraid that he had died. ... He wasn't really speaking. He seemed dazed but he was resisting the effort to make him stay down," said Ford, who didn't realize the motorcyclist was Roethlisberger.

Police spokesman Lt. Kevin Kraus said police and homicide units were leading the investigation, a standard practice when there is an accident with critical injuries.

In only his second year in the NFL, Roethlisberger helped guide the Steelers to the Super Bowl title in February at age 23. Training camp for next season begins at the end of July.

Several teammates, including backup quarterback Charlie Batch, linebacker Joey Porter and safety Mike Logan, arrived at the emergency room.

Some fans also gathered at the hospital, including Juanita Clark, who sells Steelers paraphernalia.

"I just feel like he's a family member," said her daughter, Loretta Clark.

The NFL's standard player contract prohibits any activity involving "significant risk of personal injury" apart from football. But many prominent athletes ride motorcycles anyway, despite the risk and the possibility of losing salary.

In May 2005, Cowher warned Roethlisberger about safe riding after Cleveland tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. was injured in a motorcycle accident. Winslow tore knee ligaments and was lost for the season.

Other athletes injured on motorcycles during their careers include basketball's Jason Williams, skiing's Hermann Maier and auto racing's Dario Franchitti.

Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet when riding his motorcycle. He has pointed out Pennsylvania's state law requiring helmets to be worn was repealed in September 2003.

"He talked about being a risk-taker and I'm not really a risk-taker. I'm pretty conservative and laid back, but the big thing is to just be careful," Roethlisberger said at the time. "I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we don't ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe."

Roethlisberger continued to ride after Winslow's accident and that angered Terry Bradshaw, who quarterbacked the Steelers to four Super Bowl victories during the 1970s.

Visiting the Steelers' training camp last summer, Bradshaw remarked: "Ride it when you retire."
    When will these pro athletes ever learn?

Guy was literally on top of the world too. A few articles I read suggest his knees were damaged in addition to his jaw and nose.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

ESPNEWS is reporting a broken jaw, broken nose, damage to his knees, a 9-inch laceration to the back of his head, and several lost/chipped teeth.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

I hope everything turns out ok. Big Ben has revived the shoddy quarterback curse that ruled the Steeler's of the 90's. He has a great career ahead of him. First things first, I hope he gets better first. Football can wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Krom View Post
    Guy was literally on top of the world too. A few articles I read suggest his knees were damaged in addition to his jaw and nose.
    I heard this initially as well but then read that his knees were fine.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    I didn't realize in some places it wasn't a law that you had to wear a helmet...how ridiculous that that is not mandatory!!!

If I was his coach or the GM of the team, I would fine his butt for violating his contract.

Not that he deserves what he got but if you play with fire you are going to get burned. ....The next time he may not be so lucky.....:nono
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

He's so lucky that he didn't get killed, especially when he wasn't wearing a helmet. I hope he has a full recovery.

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar
    The Campbell soup curse is still working. I told mr. gracie last week when I heard Big Ben was doing the commercials with his mother that he'd be hurt before the season was over. I didn't think he'd do something stupid and get hurt now though.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama View Post

If I was his coach or the GM of the team, I would fine his butt for violating his contract.
    He didn't violate any part of his team contract since there is no helmet clause in it. He would've been fined a hundred times over if we was violating his contract in the last few years.

From what I always understood is that the NFL clause is geared more towards skydiving, cliff jumping and other extreme activities. Riding a motorcycle is a standard mode of transportation but I do know of several teams that include a helmet clause in their contracts regardless of what local and state laws are.
    Last edited by speedbump; 06-13-2006 at 08:36 AM.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Sorry folks - but I think anybody who rides a motorcycle without a helmet is an IDIOT. Seriously - Car or Truck vs. Motorcycle in a crash. Motorcycle loses Every.Single.Time. And to not wear a helmet tells me the driver lacks common sense. We car drivers wear our seatbelts (statistics say more than 90% do anyway), so why should helmets be "optional". It's not for the sake of fashion, but for the SAFETY of the RIDERS.

The radio station this morning was interviewing an eye witness who claims he DID have other injuries besides his face (which she claimed hit a curb when he flew off the top of the vehicle). Ouch!!

I hope he heals up, and then learns a lesson from this whole thing. It would be sad to think his football career might be in jeapardy.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by speedbump View Post
    He didn't violate any part of his team contract since there is no helmet clause in it. He would've been fined a hundred times over if we was violating his contract in the last few years.

From what I always understood is that the NFL clause is geared more towards skydiving, cliff jumping and other extreme activities. Riding a motorcycle is a standard mode of transportation but I do know of several teams that include a helmet clause in their contracts regardless of what local and state laws are.
    He's always been very open to his team and to the public that he preferred not to wear a helmet. In fact, there was a bit of discussion in Pittsburgh about the issue last year when Kellen Winslow, Jr (Browns player - Pittsburgh's major rival) was knocked out for the year due to an off-season motorcycle accident. Ben was interviewed and said that sort of thing would never happen to him since he didn't ride like Winslow was (Winslow was in an empty parking lot doing tricks). Bill Cowher at the time said he'd prefer he wore a helmet but couldn't do anything about it. Terry Bradshaw blasted him for not wearing a helmet. And Ben said the difference between a motorcycle helmet and a football helmet was that the NFL required it, and the law didn't.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast