+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roethlisberger hurt in motorcycle crash

It's too bad he had to learn the danger of not wearing a helmet the hard way. He needs to be thanking his lucky stars that he's still alive. His injuries could have been worse.
    Strength does not come from physical capacity, it comes from an indomitable will. - Mahatma Ghandi

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    I'm SO sad over this. I really, really like Ben and was looking forward to next season.

I hope he has an excellent recovery, and if he can't play this coming season..I pray he's able to quarterback the season after.

Wear a helmet damn it.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

FORT Fogey
    Does anyone around here ride motorcycles? It seems like everytime something like this happens, the need for wearing a helmet is repeated over and over. But whenever these things do come up, or helmet laws are debated, I often times hear motorcycles say that it's not just a matter of preference, but that for safety, they're better off without a helmet. Is there any sort of logic behind that? Visibility or something? I'm just wondering if there's a good argument for NOT wearing a helmet.

LG.
    well people waiting for organ donations are all in favor of motorcyclists not wearing helmets, I know that. It is beneficial to their health to have a larger supply of people having brain death from crashes. I'm somewhat joking, but I'm also serious, as I know someone waiting on a transplant list, and no-helmet motorcyclists are a huge source of transplantable organs. That said, my hubby owned a motorcycle when I met him. Notice the past tense. He sold it when he traded in his old truck for a newer, bigger family-friendly 4 door pickup (F150 crew cab) as he's now a step-dad and an expectant dad. Not to say that he won't ever ride again, but . . . he'd damn well better wear a helmet. Sad about Big Ben. I always rooted for him after drafting him as a rookie in the fantasy league. Hopefully he'll fully recover and figure out that those pesky helmet things are what breaks your fall (rather than your face and skull) when you're in a wreck, even if it isn't your fault. Like the prior poster said - when it comes to motorcycle vs. car, truck, bus, etc. the motorcyclist loses, and fault doesn't matter.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka View Post
    Does anyone around here ride motorcycles? It seems like everytime something like this happens, the need for wearing a helmet is repeated over and over. But whenever these things do come up, or helmet laws are debated, I often times hear motorcycles say that it's not just a matter of preference, but that for safety, they're better off without a helmet. Is there any sort of logic behind that? Visibility or something? I'm just wondering if there's a good argument for NOT wearing a helmet.
    Before I had my daughter, I rode quite a bit (never drove much, I'm just not big enough to safely keep most of them upright) and co-owned three motorcycles during that time. I've never heard any rider with any sense argue that you're safer without one. Some simply prefer the "freedom" of no helmet. I prefer not getting pelted in the face with bugs or rain at 60 mph or having my head bashed in. I would never ride without one. I hope this kid heals up and learns his lesson.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I always wear a helmet (after falling over during the motorcycle riding class right on my head) - I think everyone in my class probably does too - unless they are really stupid. You could hear the sound of the helmet hitting across the parking lot.

that said - I have a very stupid friend who will NOT wear a helmet. He says if he ever crashes, he would just as soon be dead as damaged. DUH!!! never made sense to me. I think he is already damaged to think like that.

ESPN's "Sportscenter" reported that he was driving without a motorcycle license. They said he had an expired learners' permit but never received a license. So now it looks like he's got other problems to deal with.
    Strength does not come from physical capacity, it comes from an indomitable will. - Mahatma Ghandi

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Ohhh great. Watch..I'll bet he won't be "pardoned" from getting a ticket, like Ahnald here in California.
    Arnold Schwarzenegger didn't have a motorcycle license & had an accident with his 16 year old child on the motorcycle even.. he never got a ticket or anything. :nono
    That always bugged me.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Wanna see something totally tasteless?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=8828131841

Even sicker? There are three bids already as I write this.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka View Post
    I don't any longer, but yes, I've heard the visibility argument. It's true to an extent, but it's the price you pay when you choose to drive or ride a motorcycle. A lot of "bikers" wear lids, to conform to the laws - but they won't give a lot of protection in an accident. Having said that, serious bikers are generally safer riders and choose larger bikes, like Harleys, that are not meant to go insanely fast and put the rider at more risk for accidents. I personally wore a full helmet with a face shield - like SG, I don't care for bugs in the teeth and grit in my eyes.

At any rate, I don't know how much his not wearing a helmet contributed to this guy's injuries, except for the head laceration. The nose and teeth are debatable, but he probably would have broken his jaw anyway, and obviously a helmet won't protect his knees. I think that the focus should be on his choice of ride ("fastest bike for legal street riding", huh?) and the speed he was travelling, not the absence of a helmet.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast