+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The French Open - Tennis' 2nd Grand Slam

The French Open - Tennis' 2nd Grand Slam

Any tennis fans here? Surely I'm not the only one.....I'm still not sure why the tournament started on a Sunday. It seems so odd.

Well my pick to win the men's tourney is Roger Federer (the artist), altho the favorite has to be Rafael. The kid is invincible on clay.
    Strength does not come from physical capacity, it comes from an indomitable will. - Mahatma Ghandi

I am a fan, but I haven't been able to watch much so far. I think Federer is a solid choice. Who do you think will win the women's?
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

FORT Fogey
    My gut says that this won't be Federer's year at the French. I know that he's been devoting a lot of time recently to improving his clay game. But I think his game is too much like Sampras' to succeed at Roland Garros the first time he REALLY commits to doing it. I think that the red clay will prove to be a nemesis to him for a few years, much as it was for Sampras.

As for the women, I"m leaning towards Mouresmo. She's certainly at the top of her game right now -- and it'd be nice to see her win a grand slam in an unquestioned way, rather than in a walkover.

FORT Fogey
    i think nadal will take. Roger doesn't really do good on clay that much.

on the woman, it is very up in the air. Mauresmo is just impredictable. venus is shocked that she is not top 10? woow, well then step up your game then.

Roger has an all-surface game. Unlike Sampras he can win on clay. He's won many clay-court tournaments in the past, including several of the Masters Series events. I think Nadal has to be the favorite at the French. His game is suited for clay courts. He owns Federer on clay. All of Federer's losses this season have come at the hands of Rafael and they've all been on clay. I'm expecting a Nadal-Federer showdown in the Finals.

The women's side is wide open. Mauresmo and Henine Hardenne have to be the favorites. The question is can Mauresmo hold it together for two weeks. She lets the pressure (the fact that she's French and her country is behind her) get to her. I wouldn't rule out Martina Hingis either. She won a clay court warm-up tournament coming in to the French. I think that's remarkable considering she was away from the game for about 3 years. Outside shots have to be Sharapova, Clijsters, Kuznetsova and Venus Williams.
    Strength does not come from physical capacity, it comes from an indomitable will. - Mahatma Ghandi

American men continue to crash and burn at Roland Garros. What's with Americans and clay courts? The lone American man standing is James Blake and he's facing a tough competitor in Almagro (a clay courter). I'll be very surprised if James can pull this one off. Let's go James, you can do it!

FORT Fogey
    Blake will most likely be ousted in the next couple of rounds.

The problem with the Americans and the French Open is that there aren't that many clay courts in the US, and the ones we do have are a different surface from Roland Garros. The Roland Garros courts are made primarily of crushed bricks. I can't remember exactly what the matierial is of most clay courts in the US, but it's not the same,and it plays very differently. Sliding is a much more essential part of the Roland Garros clay than it is the US clay. When you don't practice on a surface, you don't play well on that surface. The length of the European clay court season is not long enough to make it worth it for most Americans to put the investment that would be needed into practicing on the surface.

In addition, most every American playing today depends almost exclusively on a power game. As slow as the clay surface is, a power game is cut off at the knees.

What the heck was with Nadal and the banana??
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

I thought the whole Nadal and the banana thing was weird. They said it was lodged in his digestive system. I thought it was interesting that Mary Carillo and John Mcenroe said they could see how it could be considered gamemanship.

I'm a big tennis fan but I'm having a hard time getting into the French Open this year. I tivo the daily coverage but can't be bothered to sit down and watch the matches at night. The tournament seems very dull this year. I don't know what it is but something feels like it's missing from Roland Garros. Oh well I'm rooting for the lone American left standing - Venus Williams and of course the cutie in my avatar - Fedex.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    What channel are y'all watching the French Open on? My sister is flying to California tomorrow and asked me to record the women's and men's finals, but I can only find the men's (Sunday, 6 - 11am, NBC). I also found a "highlights" listing on ESPN2 (Sunday, 11 - 12).

Am I missing anything? Have the women's finals already taken place?
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast