What: Race 2 of 36 on Winston Cup circuit
    Where: North Carolina Speedway, Rockingham, NC
    When: February 23, 2003
    Laps: 393
    Track Length: 1.017 miles
    Race Length: 400.00 miles
    Purse: $4,088,278

Drivers to Watch
    Bill Elliott - The veteran driver started his career at North Carolina Speedway in the 1976 Carolina 500 (started 34th -- finished 33rd); started his 28th season with an unimpressive 32nd place at Daytona; won two consecutive races in 2002 at the Pennsylvania 500 (from the pole) and the Brickyard 400; recorded six top five finishes and seven more in the first 10; winner at Rockingham in 1992.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. - A favorite to win the Daytona 500, Dale Jr. led the field for 22 laps until rain stopped the race on lap 63; easily among the top three runners (except for pit stops) until a forced unscheduled pit stop on lap 89 to replace a dead battery due to a faulty alternator; finished a lap down in 36th after winning the Budweiser Shootout, one of the Twin 125 qualifying races and the Busch series Koolerz 300 during Speedweeks leading to the Daytona 500; his top finish at North Carolina Speedway in six races was 15th in he fall of 2001.

Dale Jarrett - North Carolina Speedway has been the track where he enjoyed a good measure of success; finished 10th or better, including one victory in the fall of 2000, in 13 of the last 16 races; 11 times had finishes in the top five, with a streak of six second-place results; 2002 was a second straight sub-par season for him, with seven finishes of 30th or worse and two lower than 40th; the ninth-place finish in the standings, down from fifth, was his lowest since 1995; winner of two races in 2002, including a come-from-behind effort at Michigan in August where he overcame a spin off Turn 4 with just 11 laps remaining to record his 30th career checkered flag; coming off 10th-place finish at Daytona.

Jeff Gordon - The four-time NASCAR champion has enjoyed a measure of success at Rockingham with seven top-five finishes, includinglast year's fall event, and four victories; finished seventh in the Subway 400; also started from pole twice; won the February event in 1998, 1997 and 1995; won three races last year and three poles, along with 13 top fives and 20 top 10s; his 10 races of results of 20th or lower were the downfall to a fourth place finish in the championship standings.

Jimmie Johnson - Led laps 96 and 99-105 at the Daytona 500 before relinquishing the lead to eventual winner Michael Waltrip on lap 106; the race was stopped three laps later due to rain; Johnson finished third, with Kurt Busch in second; his rookie season in car owned by Rick Hendrick and Jeff Gordon was one of the better ones in recent memory; winner of three races, including a sweep at Dover Downs; his 21 top-10 finishes tied him with 2002 champion Tony Stewart for second in the series and he led the standings following the race in Kansas in late September; two results outside the top 30 in the final six races of the season took him out of contention, but he did manage to finish fifth in the standings; also finished second to Ryan Newman in the Rookie of the Year balloting; finished 28th in the Subway 400 last year.

Kevin Harvick - The 2002 season did not bring him the same accolades as his 2001 Rookie of the Year winning effort; a win at Chicago was one of eight top-10 finishes, but six DNFs, including two in the season's first four races, pretty much took him out of contention and an eventual 21st-place finish in the standings; in November, he won his first Craftsman Truck series race at Phoenix; in 2001 he placed ninth in the points after taking over the car owned by Richard Childress Racing following the death of Dale Earnhardt at the Daytona 500; started 2003 on a positive note with a fourth-place finish in the Daytona 500.

Kurt Busch - The 24-year-old Las Vegas native picked up where he left off last season; worked his way up to second place in the Daytona 500 shortly before the race was called after 109 laps; had a solid year in 2002 when he recorded his first four career Winston Cup wins en route to a career-best third-place finish in the points standings; first win came at Bristol in the spring, followed by fall victories at Martinsville, Atlanta and Homestead; finished 12th in the Subway 400 and improved to third in the November 3 race at the track.

Kyle Petty - Has posted three of his eight career Winston Cup victories at Rockingham; finished in the top 10 in 12 of 42 starts at the track; Petty is tied with Martin, David Pearson and Cale Yarborough with the most pole positions at Rockingham with five.

Mark Martin - Finished second in the Winston Cup championship last year, following a disappointing 2001 which knocked him out of the top 10 for the first time since 1989; won just one race and was consistent throughout the year; had 22 top-10 finishes, with three runner-up efforts and just three DNFs in 36 starts; lost the title to Tony Stewart by just 38 points for his fourth career runner-up honors; owns 33 career Winston Cup wins and 41 poles; winner of this race in 1999; has 18 top-10s in 33 career starts at Rockingham.

Matt Kenseth - Defending champion of the Subway 400, one of his series-leading five victories in 2002; 11 finishes of 30th and lower proved costly in the title run, down to eighth place in the standings, some 368 points behind champion Tony Stewart; made his presence felt on the Winston Cup circuit in 2000 when he captured the Rookie of the Year award, won the Coca-Cola 600 and recorded 11 top-10 finishes.

Michael Waltrip - Won the 45th Daytona 500 as rain stopped the race after 109 of the 200 scheduled laps; won the race for the second time in the last three years as he took the lead for the final time on lap 106; had a good stretch in midseason 2002 after struggling in the early part; win at the Pepsi 400 was his second career victory to follow his 2001 Daytona 500; finished 14th in the points standings, 10 positions higher than his finish in 2001; in 18 seasons, his best points finish was 12th twice; won two poles, the first at Dover in 1991.

Ricky Rudd - Has compiled an enviable record at 1-mile North Carolina Speedway in his 52 starts; even his first race there was an accomplishment as he placed 11th in March 1975; statistics include one victory, three poles and 12 top-five finishes; "It's a fun race track to drive.," he said. "The best-handling car will win the race. It is not a brute horsepower race track where horsepower outweighs handling." Wood Brothers Racing, owners of the Motorcraft Taurus, also have a good record at "The Rock," with six wins, four poles and 18 top-fives in 73 races entered; "You don't race the competitors until about the last 50 laps remaining in the race," added Rudd, who finished 15th at the Daytona 500.

Rusty Wallace - Leads all active drivers with five victories at Rockingham, including back-to-back wins in the fall of 1998 and spring of 1989; he and Richard Petty are the only two drivers to win three consecutive races at Rockingham; Wallace did it by winning this event in 1993 and 1994 as well as the fall race in 1993; has 20 top-10s in 38 career starts at Rockingham.

Ryan Newman - The 2002 Rookie of the Year was involved in a crash on lap 57 at the Daytona 500 when his car hit the wall coming out of Turn 4; his rear axle ripped apart his Dodge Intrepid, the car went airborne and made backwards half flip onto the roof and two more flips before landing upside-down; he was able to climb unhurt from under the wreckage; his season last year was nothing short of excellent; finished sixth in the series points standings, winning six poles and 14 top-five finishes in 36 starts; also claimed his first series checkered flag at the New Hampshire 300; Penske Racing's switch to Dodge and promise of more engineering and technical support, there should be substantial better results this year; completed degree program in vehicle structure engineering at Purdue University.

Sterling Marlin - Scored victories at Las Vegas and Darlington Raceway in 2002 and held the series points lead for 25 weeks; a late-season accident at Kansas Speedway ended his hopes of a first championship; was sidelined the final seven events of the season; otherwise, recorded 14 top-10 finishes and six top 10 qualifying starts, with poles at Pocono in June and Darlington in September; was runner-up in the Subway 400 last February to Matt Kenseth.

Tony Stewart - Recorded his career best finish of seventh at the rain-shortened Daytona 500; after the pit stop on lap 34, he emerged in the lead for the next six laps - the first time he had ever paced the field at the Daytona 500; won the 2002 Winston Cup championship despite a tumultuous season; in August, Stewart shoved a photographer at Indy for which he was fined $10,000 by NASCAR and $50,000 by main sponsor Home Depot; in September, a fan accused him of showing her after the Sharpie 500 at Bristol, an allegation that was unfounded; later in September, he was cited in a story published in the Concord Monitor under a headline "EMT says Stewart punched him" after an incident during the New England 300 on July 21; Stewart also collided with Getty Images photographer Rusty Jarrett on the final weekend of the season in Miami; following a meeting with Stewart and NASCAR, Jarrett accepted an apology; finished fourth the last three spring races at Rockingham, his top results in eight races; owns 15 career Winston Cup victories.

well the busch race is in rain delay. The whole east coast is in rain delay.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

Thanks for posting this, John.
    I hate to go looking for all this info.

joeguy and ilikai, who are your favorite drivers? I've only heard you mention Jr. You guys Earnhardt fans?

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    yes, but I remember when the kid came up from busch, I saw him at daytona for the bucsh clash the first year he ran it.

but I have liked what Jr. has done since the death of his dad, he has really stepped up and taken ahold of his life and carreer

old Earnhardt fan

Glennajo, I am an old Earnhardt fan since the mid 80's when he first got the GM black Monte Carlo color scheme. When he died I took a year off from NASCAR cause to me it wasn't the same without him. Now I root for his son since he shows that he is a fine driver in his own right and not just riding dad's coattails. I also like Mark Martin, Jeff Burton, and Ken Schrader. I also like Mike Waltrip and wonder why Steve Park isn't doing as good as the rest of DEI. Also why isn't Rusty Wallace a dominant force like he used to be ten years ago?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Poor weather not what North Carolina Speedway needed

By JENNA FRYER, AP Sports Writer
    February 22, 2003

ROCKINGHAM, N.C. (AP) -- Gray skies, high winds and a steady rain is not what North Carolina Speedway needed in its bid to keep two races.

Bad weather wiped out all of the on-track action Saturday, as both Winston Cup practices were canceled and the Busch Series race was rescheduled for Monday. That gives NASCAR another reason to take a date away from Rockingham.

Under the realignment proposal NASCAR first brought up last month, tracks could lose races in 2004 for a combination of criteria, ranging from attendance, availability of hotels and restaurants and even Mother Nature.

On NASCAR's checklist, the tiny track in the sandhills of North Carolina would fail in every category: Sunday's race is not sold out, the surrounding area has limited attractions, and abysmal weather limited the Winston Cup cars to just one hour of track time Friday in preparation for the Subway 400.

One area in which the track does receive high marks is driver preference, with most of the field fond of the high-banked, 1.017-mile oval.

``I hope we always run two races at Rockingham -- heck, I'd run 10 races a year at Rockingham if I were in charge of NASCAR,'' said Johnny Benson, who scored his only Winston Cup win here last November.

Drivers enjoy Rockingham because the emphasis is on skill, instead of how good the race car is. With more than one groove, passing is frequent, and cars are able to easily slice through the field, avoiding the follow-the-leader routine often played out at other tracks.

``I think Rockingham is an awesome race track, from a driver's standpoint and from a fan's standpoint,'' said Ryan Newman. ``I'll always say that a real race track is one you don't have to go out and figure out if there is a passing groove or if we can run the outside line.

``A lot of drivers will tell you they can come from the back here with a good race car and pass, whereas at other tracks you get stuck in the back with a good race car.''

But Newman acknowledges that the facilities lag behind the new race tracks NASCAR wants to give Rockingham's races to, so regardless of driver opinion, the track probably is in trouble.

``If it was up to me, and if I was a race track promoter, I'd build a race track like this at a different venue, provided the market was right, just because I think this is a good race track,'' he said.

If it was up to Jamie McMurray, who won the Busch race here in November, NASCAR would leave Rockingham alone and set its sights on other tracks -- like the rough and gravelly Darlington Raceway in South Carolina.

``I love this place. This is the best race track of any of them to go to,'' McMurray said. ``They could blow up Darlington ... I hate that place.''

McMurray is the highest starting rookie in Sunday's race; he'll start from the seventh spot.

Like most teams, McMurray used what little track time there was Friday to run the car in its race setup.

So with the rain falling and the realization that there would be no practice on Saturday, it was obvious in the garage who made the right call in eliminating the emphasis on qualifying the day before.

``Good thing we practiced yesterday,'' said Lee McCall, Sterling Marlin's crew chief. ``We don't have any worries for the race, because we already know what we've got.''

Jarrett beats Busch in late battle at Rockingham

By JENNA FRYER, AP Sports Writer
    February 24, 2003

ROCKINGHAM, N.C. (AP) -- Add Dale Jarrett to the list of drivers who love racing at Rockingham.

Always successful at North Carolina Speedway, Jarrett proved how good the racing can be at the endangered track by besting Kurt Busch in a stirring 10-lap duel Sunday in the Subway 400.

The track is expected to lose one of its two Winston Cup dates when NASCAR realigns its schedule next season. But Jarrett, who has two victories, six second-place finishes and 13 top 10s in the past 15 events, made a plea for the 1.017-mile track.

``Why would we want to leave here,'' he asked. ``I hope in my heart that we don't, not just because I won here today. It's a great racing facility and I certainly would hate to see us lose one here.''

About 30,000 fans spread out in grandstands that hold 60,000 to watch Jarrett and Busch's back-and-forth battle.

Busch had the strongest car late in the race, leading 150 laps with few challenges from the rest of the field after he got up front.

But Jarrett passed him 10 laps from the finish by first pinning him against the wall, then using lapped traffic to box him in and slide past.

Busch regained the lead with five laps to go, passing after a stirring side-by-side duel.

Jarrett, conserving his tires while Busch burned rubber trying to keep the lead, went by him one more time and led the final three laps for his 31st career victory.

``I'm real proud of the way Dale Jarrett and I raced,'' Busch said. ``If that doesn't get you pumped, I don't know what to do. I don't know what we need to do to get to Victory Lane, but we'll get there.''

The 24-year-old Busch, who closed last season with three wins in the final five races, emerged as the early favorite for the Winston Cup championship. He takes a 31-point lead over Jarrett in the standings into next week's race in Las Vegas, his hometown.

``That young man is the hottest driver out here,'' Jarrett said. ``And the scary thing is he's getting really smart out here, knowing when to push it and when not to.

``I told someone earlier this week when talking about who would be a surprise for a championship that Kurt Busch is really a guy we're going to have to contend with.''

Matt Kenseth, who won this race last year, was third to give Roush Racing second- and third-place finishes and a Ford sweep of the top-three spots.

Ricky Craven was fourth in a Pontiac and rookie Jamie McMurray finished fifth in a Dodge.

Rusty Wallace, making his 600th career start, led a race-high 182 laps early in the event but faded to a sixth-place finish. Roush Racing driver Mark Martin was seventh and was followed by Jimmie Johnson, Elliott Sadler -- Jarrett's new teammate -- and pole-sitter Dave Blaney.

The Chevrolets were expected to be strong Sunday after winning everything at Daytona last week, but Johnson's eighth-place finish was the best showing for the Monte Carlos.

Bobby Labonte actually was racing for the win late in the race, but gambled on fuel strategy and had to give up the third position to stop for gas with less than 10 laps to go. He ended up 16th.

Michael Waltrip, winner of the Daytona 500 last week, was never a factor and finished 19th.

Dale Earnhardt Jr., his teammate, had a miserable day. He made contact with Jeff Gordon early in the race, causing him to eventually blow his left front tire.

But the timing was perfect: The tire gave way just as NASCAR threw a planned caution 45 laps into the race for teams to make adjustments on their cars.

It saved Earnhardt from going a lap down, which was eventual anyway. He was involved in three of the seven cautions for spinning out and ended up 33rd, three laps down.

``We just didn't have a very good day,'' Waltrip said. ``The DEI cars looked about the opposite of what we looked at Daytona. We're just missing something here.''

joeguy and ilikai,
    I was never a big Earnhardt fan, but I very much respect what he did for racing, and that he was an excellent driver and man. My heart broke for his family when he died. Such a tragedy.

I like Jr. He seems like a good kid and hopefully can step up into his father's shoes and become a racing legend too. I also like Waltrip, but am not a fan of Park. Seems like wherever he is, there's lots of wrecks. That sounds good, coming from a Gordon fan, huh!

On a lighter side, safety has come a long way since then. At least nascar stepped up and upgraded a lot of features to keep the drivers safer on the tracks.

Rusty Wallace, who knows? I keep thinking he'll have a comeback, but no sign yet. He's not a favorite of mine, I'll just say that...

Thanks for the info! It was about to drive me crazy not knowing who you two rooted for!

(Don't hate me for being a Gordon fan!!!)

I don't mind Gordon, just a lot of fans don't like him cause they feel he didn't pay the dues that a lot of drivers did by getting a great ride right off the bat with Hendrick racing. Thing is, the kid has been racing since he was 3, he was dirt track racing at 12-14 and beating 16-20 year olds. I don't like Dale Jarrett, respect him, just don't like him from way back when he first got into WC he used to hit guys and then blame them for the accident. I was overseas when I got back into WC and didn't know about Earnhardt's rep as a bad guy(thats why they painted the GM car black) I just liked the way he drove, if he saw a opening, he took it. This was right when ESPN I think started showing the races. It was the first year he drove the GM car.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast