+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2006

This is all I found on the Guardian's site (bolding is mine):

Zidane was provoked, says agent
    http://football.guardian.co.uk/worldcup2006/story/0,,1817268,00.html

Zinedine Zidane's chestbutt on Marco Materazzi was "provoked" by a comment from the Italy defender, according to the player's agent. And, while Alain Migliaccio did not know what Materazzi said, he confirmed that Zidane would reveal the exact nature of the comments soon.The former French captain was sent off in the World Cup final - his last game before retirement - after driving his head into the chest of Materazzi in extra-time. But Zidane's agent, Migliaccio, claims Materazzi insulted Zidane, the French-born son of Algerian immigrants.

"He was very sad for everything that happened but this is life," said Migliaccio. "He is a human being not a god. Materazzi said something very grave to him, I don't know what it was. I know Zizou well and he will not reveal what Materazzi said to him but he will in one or two days' time explain why he had such a reaction. When I saw him at 2am he was very sad, he didn't want to end his career like this. He is a person that doesn't say much but bottles it up and then one day explodes."

In an odd twist, Fifa awarded the 34-year-old the Golden Ball as the player of the tournament. When asked whether Zidane knew he had been honoured by world football's governing body, Migliaccio added: "Zidane was on a plane with the rest of the national team back to France. He has a lunch meeting with the president [Jacques Chirac] at one. I am sure that he has found out by now."

Since he has retired, Zidane will escape suspension unless he returns to the game as a coach - something Migliaccio thought unlikely. "He will rest for six months and he has a lot of commitments with his sponsorship contracts, for example with Danone, and his children foundation," he added. "I think if he decides to coach he will only coach youngsters."

Zidane received sympathy from team-mates and opponents; however some of the Azzurri players insisted the butt that led to his sending off was not out of character for a man who collected 14 red cards during his career. Italy's goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon said: "I saw the incident afterwards on TV. It was an ugly reaction but in football sometimes these things can happen. However, this is not the first time Zidane has done something like this."

Materazzi, who like Zidane has also had a chequered disciplinary record, refused to comment on the incident. The Internazionale defender walked through the press area playing music loudly and ignored requests for interviews.

His agent, Claudio Vigorelli, revealed he spoke to Materazzi after the game but admitted he did not know what made Zidane react as he did. "He was extremely happy but he did not mention the incident," said Vigorelli. "I've known Marco for a long time and I don't think he is capable of provoking a player, he is a good boy. Materazzi is really happy with the tournament he has had. He was in a celebratory mood. I will meet him on Tuesday in Milan and we will discuss what happened."

France's players, meanwhile, were dismayed at the outcome and felt Zidane must have been prompted by Materazzi. William Gallas said: "I don't know what happened. But it must have been something bad for Zizou to react in that way. It's a pity but sometimes when you are playing it's very difficult to contain your emotions when someone is trying to provoke you like that."

The French squad received a rapturous welcome back home today. There was live TV coverage of the team bus speeding into Paris from the airport and of the meeting with President Jacques Chirac. The return drew some national attention away from Zidane's behaviour - at least temporarily. Zidane and the rest of the team had lunch with Chirac, who had words of comfort for the midfielder, acknowledging that it was an "intense" and "difficult" moment in his career. "You are a virtuoso, a genius of world football," said Chirac. "You are also a man of heart, commitment, conviction. That's why France admires and loves you."

Later, the players waved to cheering fans from the balcony of a hotel overlooking the Place de la Concorde. One by one, they stepped to the railing and clapped. The crowd screamed for Zidane, whose teammates pushed him to the front. He bowed his head in acknowledgment. However, French sport minister Jean-Francois Lamour was critical of Zidane. Lamour said he didn't know what Materazzi had done to anger the French captain, but "we can imagine that there was a provocation". He added that Zidane's act was "unpardonable."

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by lildago View Post
    I'm curious as to where it came from also. jacobson00, do you have a link to that article?
    i saw it on many french/british forums. i don't really believe it though. I am still awaiting for zidane's version.

I don't really care what was said. That reaction was totally uncalled for. Provoked or not. It inexcusable in World Sport.

Sports athletes readily and often say things or do things to stir up other players into reacting and getting a penalty, or card or whatever. I'm not saying that the best way to perform, but it happens as often as taking a dive I would suggest.

Materazzi may have been having a disagreement with Zidane through the 2nd half or so but he did not get physical and get thrown out and abandon his team at a crucial point of play. No matter if what he said was mean, or racist or not. You need a thick skin to play in the big leagues - soccer, hockey, football, baseball, the Olympics....

The pressure was on. But instead of a heated argument, Zidane CHOSE to react with a head butt, that not only caused him to be dismissed from the entire game, hence ending his career on an embarrassing act. But it also may have cost his team the cup by doing so.

Yes, he was a great player. Yes, he had a history of red cards. Yes, he should have gone out with greatness even if they lost. Lucky, he still won MVP and has been recognized for his lifetime accomplishments. And lucky that the French have "forgiven" him.

What "words" would really be acceptable for headbutting another player in the end of a World Cup Final game? He deserved the red card. And young athletes and fans deserve better conduct if they want to emulate their heros.
    Last edited by misskitty; 07-10-2006 at 10:57 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Well said, misskitty!

FORT Fogey
    ZIDANE INSULTS VARIED

The credibility of the lip-reading profession is in tatters this morning after at least five lip-readers provided Fleet Street's newspapers with wildly different accounts of what Marco Materazzi said to Zinedine Zidane during the World Cup final.

With neither player willing to publicly reveal what was said during their lengthy exchange before the France captain planted his head into the Italian's chest, the papers have called on lip-readers to reveal how Zidane was provoked.

Something, though, appears to have been lost in the various translations.

The Sun's lip-reader, for instance, claims that Materazzi called Zidane a "son of a terrorist whore".

Just to cover all bases, the newspaper also cites 'a source close to the Italian squad claiming that after twisting Zidane's nipple, Materazzi asked him: "What, don't you like it?" The French captain replied: "A bit too hard to turn me on." But Materazzi shouted: "Well, I did it that way because I know that's how your mother likes it."'

Not so, according to The Guardian. Their lip-reader claims that the charming Materazzi said, "I wish an ugly death to you and all your family," and then told Zidane to "go f**k yourself".

The Independent's lip-reader has a slightly different interpretation as well. 'It is alleged that Zidane responded by sarcastically telling Materazzi that he could have his shirt as a souvenir at the end of the match,' the newspaper reports. 'The Italian is alleged to have responded by saying that Zidane could keep it for his sister and then made an extremely derogatory comment about her. That version is backed up by lip-readers from the Brazilian TV channel Globo. They claim Materazzi called her a "prostitute".

Little wonder that there is such confusion when the exchange between an Italian and a French-Algerian is being translated into English via Brazil.

As for The Daily Mirror, their frontpage informs readers that 'The furious French captain attacked Marco Materazzi after the defender allegedly sneered: "All Muslims are terrorist b*****s."

'And sources claim the Italian even branded Zidane's Algerian mum Malika "a whore".'

As if that wasn't quite enough explanations to sate your curiosity, The Daily Mail reports that 'Materazzi had insulted the memory of one of Zidane's closest confidants and former coaches, Jean Varraud. The former AS Cannes coach died of cancer shortly before the tournament.'

Nor is there a consensus in Italy or France over what was said.

A number of Italian newspapers claim that Zidane insulted Materazzi's mother, with the former Everton defender saying that the Frenchman "made love to his sister".

However, Materazzi's agent has also reportedly offered his own unique account of the verbal exchange, claiming that Zidane offered to swap shirts later and the Italian replied: "'I'd rather take the shirt off your wife."

A statement from the Paris-based racism group SOS Racism had earlier insisted that Materazzi called Zidane a 'dirty terrorist'.

In his only public comment so far since Sunday's final, Materazzi denied the accusation, telling Italian news agency Ansa: "It is absolutely not true, I did not call him a terrorist. I'm ignorant. I'm ignorant - I don't even know what the word means."

Pointedly, he refused to reveal exactly what he did say, however.

Zidane's first public comments in almost a month - he refused to speak to the press after their heavy criticism of France's performance against Switzerland - are expected by the end of the week.

I'm sure Zidane isn't ashamed of what he did and neither am I. Zidane is known for having a temper but deals with it well enough. Now no matter what there was some insulting going on and he was clearly provoking involved. Various sources say that Materazzi insulted his family, calling members of his family "prostitutes" or "terrorists". All Materazzi got was a head bang. He deserved way more. The real loser in all of this is Materazzi though not Zidane (even though he got a red card).Materazzi was so worried about losing the game that he took matters in his own hands and started putting Zidane down and provoking him that way Zidane would become violent and be expelled. It was pure tactic by Materazzi.

Anyways, Congrats Zizou for a great worldcup series !!

FIFA to investigate Zidane's head-butt

The World Cup may be over, but the investigation into an ugly head-butting incident by the tournament's best player is just beginning.

FIFA, soccer's world governing body, will open a disciplinary investigation into French midfielder Zinedine Zidane's actions against Italian Marco Materazzi in Sunday's World Cup final.

Zidane, who was awarded the Golden Ball as the World Cup's most valuable player, was red-carded for head-butting Materazzi late in the match.

FIFA said Tuesday that the game's fourth official witnessed the incident without the use of a television monitor and alerted head referee Horacio Elizondo through his headset.

Television replays show Zidane and Materazzi exchanging words after Italy broke up a French attack in extra time of Sunday's final in Berlin. Seconds later, Zidane turned to face Materazzi, lowered his head and rammed Materazzi in the chest, knocking the Italian player to the ground.

Zidane was sent off, forcing France to play the rest of the match with 10 men. Italy won in a penalty shootout.

Probe FIFA protocol
    Investigations of this nature are protocol whenever a red card is handed out in an international match to determine how the player, and any others who may be involved, should be punished, FIFA said.

FIFA did not comment on whether Materazzi was also being investigated for his role in the incident.

The 32-year-old Inter Milan player admitted that he insulted Zidane before the head-butting, but denied calling the French captain a "terrorist" as many media outlets have speculated.

"I did insult him, it's true," Materazzi said in Tuesday's Gazzetta dello Sport. "But I categorically did not call him a terrorist. I'm not cultured and I don't even know what an Islamic terrorist is."

He would not expand on what he said to Zidane, saying his comment was just a common insult players hear all the time.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/worldcup200...on-zidane.html
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

CCL
    "I did insult him, it's true," Materazzi said in Tuesday's Gazzetta dello Sport. "But I categorically did not call him a terrorist. I'm not cultured and I don't even know what an Islamic terrorist is."
    Um, are you kidding me?

I don't think head-butting was the right reaction, at all. But, then again, I don't think that trash talking and insulting people should be "part of the game." I think the (seemingly widespread) use of racial taunts & personal insults sets just as bad an example for the fans as head-butting.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by hungry_hippo View Post
    I'm sure Zidane isn't ashamed of what he did and neither am I. Zidane is known for having a temper but deals with it well enough. Now no matter what there was some insulting going on and he was clearly provoking involved. Various sources say that Materazzi insulted his family, calling members of his family "prostitutes" or "terrorists". All Materazzi got was a head bang. He deserved way more.
    You are totally right. The guy insulted his family. He should have broken his leg or better yet taken a gun at him and shot him. I've always been thaught that the best way to retaliate is to hit, punch, kill someone. I mean, if you shut up and make the other guy look like a loser by doing nothing, it's because you are a pushover.
    /endsarcasm

To clarify, Materazzi was totally wrong by insulting him. He's no saint. But answering a taunt by a headbut is not right. Two wrongs don't make a right. And thats what I will teach my son.

ETA: Zidane was clearly ashamed of what he did. You can see it in his face, even before he got the red card.

'I apologize to all the children'
    Zidane contrite for headbutt, cites insults of family

PARIS (AP) -- French soccer star Zinedine Zidane apologized for head-butting an Italian opponent during the World Cup final, saying Wednesday that he was provoked by insults about his mother and sister.

"I apologize, to all the children" who watched the match Sunday, Zidane said in his first, highly-awaited comments about the act of violence that marked the end of his career.

Zidane did not specify exactly what Italian defender Marco Materazzi said that enraged him, but that it was insulting to his sister and mother.

"I would rather have taken a punch in the jaw than have heard that," Zidane said, stressing that Materazzi's language was "very harsh."

Zidane and Materazzi exchanged words after Italy broke up a French attack in extra-time. Seconds later, Zidane lowered his head and rammed Materazzi in the chest, knocking him to the ground.

Zidane was sent off, reducing France to 10 men. Italy went on to win in a penalty shootout.

The France captain said he felt no regret for his act, "because that would mean (Materazzi) was right to say all that."

At nearly the same moment Zidane was appearing on French TV, excerpts from an interview that Materazzi gave to Italian sports daily Gazzetta dello Sport were posted on the newspaper's Web site.

"I didn't say anything to him about racism, religion or politics," Materazzi told the Gazzetta. "I didn't talk about his mother either. I lost my mother when I was 15 and even now I still get emotional talking about her. Naturally, I didn't know his (mother) was in the hospital, I give her my best wishes."

"He's always been my hero, I admire him a lot."

rest of article here:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/soccer/specials/world_cup/2006/07/12/bc.eu.spt.soc.france.zidane.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

+ Reply to Thread