+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Duke Lacrosse

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Re: Duke Lacrosse

Anyhow, long story short: Yay for the boys' exoneration.

FORT Fogey

Lois, I understand what you are saying. But if you justify the lack of black and white enough, then the door is wide open to justify the defense attorney who says "Look what she was wearing! Look what her job is! A woman like that doens't get raped -- she was asking for it!". I can't control anyone's words but my own. But if I choose to embark in a given behavior, then how can I turn around and tell someone else (in this example the defense attorney) that he's wrong for doing the same thing?

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Veruka, I think you still misunderstand me. I wasn't talking about the attorney or what he should say in court (e.g. using the boys' partying against them). I didn't realize that I needed to qualify what I was saying because I thought it was obvious, but in re-reading some of the posts, I can see how it might come across ambigiously.

Yes, it's great that innocent young men have been exonerated.

Then, I should've gone to a separate folder or started a separate thread and posted my opinion that I hope something good can come out of all this and if that something is that kids won't engage in underage drinking, that'd be great.

However, where I think you error is that it's thoughts like mine that make it more difficult for actual rape victims. Have you ever been accused of committing a crime? I was (shoplifting) accused and it was up to me to prove that I was innocent (which I was. Really, I was! ). It didn't matter that I had straight A's, had NEVER been in trouble (never even got dentention in school), had no trouble with the law at all, didn't drink, smoke, do drugs, hang with the wrong crowd etc. Lawyers go after you however they can to prove their case against you. So do I doubt that the opposing attorney is going to grill a rape victim and besmudge her character? I think they're going to do that regardless of whether she's dressed in a mumu or a miniskirt. It's not difficult to do (as I found out with the shoplifting thing). The victim is a virgin? Oh, well then make her out to be a repressed freak who was dying to have sex and then felt remorse afterwards and cried rape. You have a woman who's had sexual relations with 5 men before the age of 27? Well then she must be a tramp!

And in case there's any confusion still, here is exactly how I feel: I am glad that the boys were exonerated. I hope that the woman who falsely cried "rape" is prosecuted to show that there are consequences to making false accusations and possibly ruining other people's lives. (Unless she is shown to be mentally ill, in which case I hope she is given treatment.) (And in that unrelated matter, I hope that these boys never throw parties again where liquor is served to minors--but that if they do, they need to be arrested for THAT crime (not a rape). And actually, if all the young men who served liquor to minors at the party were slapped with a small fine, I wouldn't lose a night's sleep over it.)

Anyhow, this is the last I will be saying on this matter since I think we're just going in circles basically saying the same thing. It's been fun! Thanks for sparring with me! Always a pleasure.

FORT Fogey

I believe that the key to our misunderstanding is the perspectives we're coming from -- you from the "this is how it is" camp, and me from the "this is how it should be" camp. I believe that if you join in on the way of speaking, then you can't really stand up against it when others do the same. That comes into play not just with what an attorney says in court, but also with what the judge allows and won't allow in court, how and when the press covers the case, as well as the general societal issues that come up in such a case. The Duke LaCrosse case certainly illustrates that there's the courts of law, and the court of public opinion. As I see it, going down the road of examining what the guys did wrong to get into this situation is a big problem in the court of public opinion. Even if you're not agreeing with it, it's entertaining the thought that they brought this on themselves -- they did not. They fell victim to a disturbed woman and an out of control prosecutor. Had the accuser been more honest, or the prosecutor more ethical, they could have been drinking under age, doing drugs, and have gone streaking down to the main quad and it would not have mattered one bit. They'd still have their names, they'd still have their privacy, and they'd still have their scholarships.

LG.

Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234