+ Reply to Thread

Thread: No Consensus on Change in NFL's OT System

No Consensus on Change in NFL's OT System

No Consensus on Change in NFL's OT System
    1 hour, 38 minutes ago

By MICHAEL MAROT, AP Sports Writer

INDIANAPOLIS - The NFL competition committee previewed its biggest issue this week when it discussed overtime.

As is likely throughout the debate, no consensus was reached.

Commissioner Paul Tagliabue has said he would like to see changes to the overtime system, in which the coin toss has increasingly become a determinant factor in victory. Last season, 40 percent of the record 25 overtime games were won by the team that won the coin toss.

The committee will hold more formal meetings in March before the annual league meeting in Phoenix.

During this week's three-day meeting, Tennessee coach Jeff Fisher, the co-chairman, endorsed minor changes and at least two of his colleagues appeared to support him.

"It would change your coaching strategy, no question," new Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said, suggesting that kickoffs could be moved up in overtime to avoid giving the receiving team field position that would make scoring easier on the first drive.

Fisher and Indianapolis president Bill Polian, another committee member, said Tuesday it would be difficult to forge a consensus.

Fisher said the committee wanted to determine first why the number of overtime games had increased so dramatically.

Some coaches don't believe major changes, such as assuring each team of at least one possession, are necessary.

"I might want my defense on the field first," Lewis said with a smile. "A lot of times, I'd like to lose the toss and play defense first."

Last season, 40 percent of the record 25 overtime games were won by the team that won the coin toss.
    I'm not sure how this makes the case at all. It seems that winning the coin toss will give the other guys a 60% chance to win?

Last edited by Bill; 02-22-2003 at 08:01 PM.

yes, i tink
    Peace

Screw the coin toss, what you do is give each team one set of downs to try and score. If they get ten yards, they still go till the other teams stops them from getting a first down or the team scores. Then the other team is given a chance to score on a set of downs. IF both teams are stopped, they get another set each till one team scores and the other cannot score. I never did like it that the first team to score won without the other team having a chance to try and score too.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Amen Ili!

I think they take the college rules but start them at their own 20 instead of already in FG range.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

I agree BF, start them on their own 20. Thats where they start when they down the ball in the endzone on a kickoff so they have a game plan for that starting point.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

Coaches want little change in overtime system

Tagliabue's desire to change the system isn't shared by many NFL coaches.

(Reuters) Tampa Bay general manager Rich McKay is somewhat surprised that many coaches don't favor radical changes to the NFL's overtime system. "It's not a panacea," McKay, co-chairman of the league's competition committee, said Friday at the NFL scouting combine. "There may be unintended consequences any way you go. A lot of coaches say they're OK with the system we have." That includes Jon Gruden, as well as Baltimore's Brian Billick.

Originally posted by John
    I'm not sure how this makes the case at all. It seems that winning the coin toss will give the other guys a 60% chance to win?
    I think that they way they should have quoted the stat is that 40% of the time, the team that won the toss, went and won the game on the first possession, thus the other team didn't even get a chance at the ball.

NOTE: I accidently edited versus quoting John above, but now all is fixed.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

+ Reply to Thread