+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RIP: Kirby Puckett

RIP: Kirby Puckett

Kirby Puckett, Hall of Famer, has passed away at the age of 44 from a massive stroke.

Growing up in Minnesota, Kirby IS sports in the state. My family named our dog Kirby back in 1987, and my Kirby lived until last December at the age of 15.

Puckett means so much to sports in Minnesota, and he will be missed.

Oh God, that is horrible. I know some sordid things had come out about him in recent years, but I loved watching him play. My dad and I really bonded over the Twins' World Series win in 1987.

ETA: I was born in Minnesota and one of my dad's prize possessions is a Tony Oliva home run ball he caught at Metropolitan Stadium when they played there.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Wow, that's terrible news! He was one of the most beloved players in baseball history and will be missed.

RIP Kirby Puckett
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Agree with all the sentiments re Kirby. This is very sad indeed. I just got a CNN Alert about his passing. I was so sorry to hear that he suffered a stroke yesterday. He's so young!.... I remembered not liking him (only because he was so darned good!) in the early 90s when the Twins went against my Braves. He was such a great player and will be missed. RIP Kirby!
    Strength does not come from physical capacity, it comes from an indomitable will. - Mahatma Ghandi

Premium Member
    I just heard this too, how terribly sad. We saw him play several times and will always remember what a great player and person he was.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,187010,00.html

I got a little misty when I heard the news. Our AAA team was the farm club for the Twins for a few years and that made me a fan of the Twins. Especially when I could see them play and see players from our team.

R.I.P. Kirby, you will be missed.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

RIP to a great man and a great baseball player!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

LG.
    It is definitely big news here in Minnesota. I'm still shocked that he was only 44, as I think it was 10 years ago that he had to retire because he lost his eyesight from glaucoma and could not see the ball well enough to play - all rather suddenly in spring training. And now, spring training time, and all of a sudden he's dead at the age of 44. He has had some tough times since retirement, with some scandals and driving incidents (with his eyesight -what on earth was he doing driving) but he was still very loved here in Minnesota and will be missed.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

It's terrible news. Being from the Midwest myself, I always associated Minnesota with Kirby Puckett and the Twins. I was always rootin' for the Twins to win in those legendary World Series' with the Braves, and oh the drama those games provided...as I recall usually with Puckett's hands in the mix.

Scandals, schmandals. Kirby Puckett was and is baseball in Minnesota, and he will be dearly missed.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

+ Reply to Thread