+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: March Madness

ESPN had well over 2 million ballot entries for this year's tournament, and only 2 people predicted that Final 4.

You can't help but root for George Mason as a Cinderalla, but if I had any more money to give, I'd put it on LSU to win it all. Those two big guys together are unstoppable.
    Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have.

The only pick that I have left is UCLA.
    At this point I have absolutely no feeling as to who will be in the finals. This tournament has me in shock - and I love it!
    I pulled out the Sporting News pre-season preview:
    Their preseason top 10 in order were:
    Michigan State, Duke, Texas, UConn, Villanova, Arizona, Oklahoma, Louisville, Kentucky and Gonzaga. How many of those teams are left -hmmmm I don't see any.
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

I only have UCLA left also.

Was watching the Villinova game and I had to turn it off. (I had Villinova in another pool to win it all)

I feel like the kiss of death this year.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

You should have seen the George Mason fans in person. They were soooooo excited! It was especially gratifying because at a bar before the game I heard some UConn fans predicting that UConn would win by 25. The other UW fans around me were also pretty happy about the result.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

I love when pompous predictions go wrong!!

Last year, during the Illinois comeback vs. Arizona, some of my other Illinois fan friends were watching that game with some Arizona fans. The Arizona fans were calling everyone they know trying to find out how they were going to get to the final four, where they should buy their tickets, where they should stay, etc. Only to be crushed a few minutes later by a great Illini comeback.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

As a fan of UConn, I took this loss pretty hard. I'm still not over it and couldn't bring myself to post last night. I couldn't even watch Sportscenter or College Gameday as I couldn't relive the anguish. I'm not one of the pompous UConn fans though. While I fully expected UConn to win that game handily, I can't say that I'm too shocked with the outcome. I sort of saw this coming. UConn had been getting by only by the skins of their teeth and had it not been for a few bad calls on Friday night (yes I can admit to the refs botching a few calls), they might not have made it to Sunday's game. UConn didn't play all that well throughout the tournament and it finally caught up to them. They lacked aggression, intensity and motivation for the most part. Calhoun showed more passion and desire to win than the players.

I also like the Cinderella stories however not at the expense of my favorite teams. Even tho part of me was upset that my team lost another part was happy that a "mid-major" team (who's often disrespected by the sports media and looked down upon by the college basketball snobs - ahem Billy Packer) was going to the Final Four. I was surprised with how fearless George Mason played. Larranega did a good job of preparing his team for this game. In sports half of the battle is believing you can win. He had his team motivated and instilled the belief in them that they could beat UConn. Kudos to him for that. They beat 3 elite teams (Michigan St., UNC and UConn) on their way to the final four.

Now that my team is out and my bracket has been completely busted, I'm just supporting the sport of basketball and hoping for two good final four games and a well-played Nat'l Championship.

Congrats to all of those who are still alive in our Fort pool!
    Strength does not come from physical capacity, it comes from an indomitable will. - Mahatma Ghandi

It's baaaack! It feels like it's been forever since we had a game!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Go George Mason! C'mon guys, make those shots and re-bounds!!!!
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

FORT Newbie
    Gators will be playing Monday night.

How anti-climatic. After all the close games and overtimes, to have both semi-finals to be so one-sided was disappointing. I don't really know who I am going to root for on Monday, but I hope the games are closer.
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

+ Reply to Thread