+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MLB 2006 Season

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    a back up catcher who was foolishly traded away back in December- never ever mess with a knuckleballers catcher!
    It wasn't foolish at the time, but nobody knew how bad Bard would be. I don't think there's a GM in the league that wouldn't trade a backup catcher for a starting second baseman.

Quote Originally Posted by JR. View Post
    It wasn't foolish at the time, but nobody knew how bad Bard would be. I don't think there's a GM in the league that wouldn't trade a backup catcher for a starting second baseman.

Every catcher can be a back up catcher, true, but not every catcher can be a knuckleball catcher and therein lies Mirabellis fundamental value. Knuckleballers historically have their own catchers- their effectiveness is tied directly to their catchers. How important is Mirabelli to The Red Sox ? So important the Yankees tried to trade for him this week so as to neautralize Wakefields effectiveness .My feeling is The Red Sox lucked out in getting Mirabelli back as S.D initially obtained Mirabelli so he could be their everyday catcher, - relegating him to back up once they signed Mike Piazza.
    "You have to remember, sometimes your `buddy' isn't really your `buddy' in this game." -Donny

JR.
    Very true, but I don't think the Sox thought Bard would be that bad. They figured he'd improve after a few weeks, just like Mirabelli when he first got here, but that never happened and they can't afford to wait it out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123