+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PGA: Tiger's caddie gets his own endorsement deal

PGA: Tiger's caddie gets his own endorsement deal

Notes: Tiger's caddie gets a racing endorsement

by DOUG FERGUSON, Associated Press

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- The latest endorsement deal in Tiger Woods' camp belongs to his caddie.

Steve Williams, who races cars in New Zealand when he's not on the bag for the world's No. 1 player, has signed a deal with Valvoline to wear its logo on his shirt sleeve during golf tournaments.

Valvoline is his primary sponsor on the racing circuit.

``It will be good exposure for them,'' Williams said Tuesday. ``And it's good to be associated with a company that is synonymous with racing.''

That begs the question: Is he a caddie who races cars on the side, or a race car driver who moonlights as a caddie?

``I treat each of them seriously,'' Williams said Tuesday. ``I love to caddie and I love to race cars, and I give each of them my undivided attention when I'm doing them.''

He said Woods and Nike signed off on the deal, and he will continue to wear Nike hats.

Williams races ``saloon'' cars, which he described as late-model cars on dirt tracks. He won three major races during his two-month break while Woods recovered from knee surgery, but he is ineligible for the season points race.

``You have to be there every week for that,'' Williams said. ``I have two cars in two classes, so I just pick the best races.''

Williams started caddying for Woods at Bay Hill in 1999, and has been on the bag for 31 of his 41 victories worldwide, including seven of his eight majors.

Not Fair to Fluff

Thats exactly the reason that Tiger got rid of Fluff was that he was getting his own endorsement deals. Tiger thought he was getting too much exposure from being his caddy. This doesn't sound too good for this caddy.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

I think Tiger really likes Steve, though, and it sounds as if Steve ran it by him first for approval.

The other difference being that Steve's endorsement is actually for something he does outside of being Tiger's caddy.

+ Reply to Thread