Fast Facts

Total Purse: $4,500,000
    Winning Share: $810,000
    Defending Champ: Len Mattiace (D)

Course Profile
    Riviera Country Club, The
    Pacific Palisades, CA
    Private, $85/18
    This club hosted the 1948 U.S. Open as well as the 1983 and 1995 PGA Championships. The PGA Tour's Nissan Open is also held here each year. The large number of professional tournaments held at this club should indicate the quality of this course.

Scorecard Snapshot
    Tee Box Slope Rating Yardage
    Middle 130 71.9 6505
    Back 139 74.3 6950
    Forward 137 74.7 5844

Past Winners
    Name Year Score

Len Mattiace 2002 275
    Robert Allenby 2001 276
    Kirk Triplett 2000 272
    Ernie Els 1999 270
    Billy Mayfair 1998 272
    Complete list

TV Schedule*
    Date Time Channel Program Notes
    Thu 02/20/03 3:00 - 6:00 p.m. USA -
    Fri 02/21/03 3:00 - 6:00 p.m. USA -
    Sat 02/22/03 3:00 - 6:00 p.m. ABC -
    Sun 02/23/03 3:30 - 6:30 p.m. ABC -
    *All times EST and are subject to change. Check local listings.

Woods' record in this event, not surprisingly, is quite sterling -- but the native of Southern California has never won it. Twice he has been runner-up and his lowest finish in five pro starts is joint 20th in 1997. (He missed the cut twice as an amateur.)

Of course, there's more than just Woods worth watching this week.

Mattiace defends his title against a field that features five of the top 10 players in the Official World Golf Ranking, six of the top 10 from the 2002 TOUR money list, and the winners of the last four events: Vijay Singh ( Phoenix Open ), Mike Weir ( Bob Hope Chrysler Classic ), Davis Love III ( AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am ) and Woods.

While veterans thus far have made the TOUR Insider proud, this week a youngster, albeit a talented one, is the pick: Charles Howell III. He tied for sixth last year in his first tour of Riviera, and his third-round 64 included a front-nine 28, tying the tournament record. What's more, Howell is coming off a tie for seventh at Torrey Pines.

But don't forget about Woods -- as if that's possible.

I've always loved the Nissan Open, for some reason. I couldn't believe that Tiger's never won it, though. I hope Vijay doesn't pull out again. I hear his game's gone deep south on him.

Boy there aint nothing more frustrating than when your game goes south on you. Drive you nuts trying to figure out whats wrong. I had a day like that, couldn't hit a decent drive to save my ass till about the 13-14th hole.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

Corey Pavin is my waay longshot.

I'm, also liking Allenby, and Flesch.

and ya, Tiger.

DAVE
    YESSSSS!

Leaderboard after 1st round:

1 Fred Funk -6 F
    2 Cameron Beckman -3 F
    2 Steve Elkington -3 F
    2 Nick Price -3 F
    2 Jeff Sluman -3 F
    6 Aaron Baddeley -2 F
    6 David Duval -2 F
    6 Bob Estes -2 F
    6 Glen Hnatiuk -2 F
    6 Charles Howell III -2 F
    24 Tiger Woods 1 F

Funk, one of the shortest hitters on the PGA Tour, proved that the shortest club in the bag can make all the difference. He had 11 one-putts and holed another from off the green for a 6-under 65 and a three-stroke lead.

Woods, coming off a strong victory last week in San Diego, hit the ball decently in the tough, blustery conditions at Riviera Country Club.

Toward the end, he was ready to either break his putter or wrap it around the neck of a fan whose cell phone went off.

``Turn off the (expletive) phone,'' Woods shouted after a three-putt bogey from 6 feet on the No. 17. He wound up at 1-over 72, the first time he has failed to shoot par or better in the opening round at the Nissan Open.
    Paul Azinger, who needs to play well in the next month to qualify for the Masters, had two double bogeys and a triple bogey on his way to an 83. ... Davis Love III, playing for the first time since he won at Pebble Beach two weeks ago, had a 76.

Yes, I got Howell III in the pool!

Also Pavin is at -2 for my longshot.

It hasnt been on tv here, till after the rounds are almost done. So I'm looking forward to the weekend.

DAVE
    YESSSSS!

Leaderboard after 2nd round:

1 Charles Howell III -8 F
    2 Nick Price -7 F
    3 Len Mattiace -6 F
    4 Rich Beem -4 F
    5 Kyoung-Ju Choi -3 F
    5 David Duval -3 F
    5 Fred Funk -3 F
    5 Stephen Ames -3 F
    5 Duffy Waldorf -3 F
    10 Stewart Cink -2 F
    10 Tiger Woods -2 F

Woods had a good feeling, too, especially when he was two strokes off the lead and in complete control of his game. That changed with one swing that set off a chain reaction of problems.

Barely able to see his ball in shin-high grass, Woods swung a sand wedge with all his might and watched the ball dribble about 6 inches. The best he could do from there was hack it across the seventh fairway into a bunker.

He wound up with a double bogey, but kept his perspective. All that did was turn a spectacular round into a satisfactory one.

``One bad swing cost me a couple of shots,'' said Woods, who was at 2-under 140. ``Overall, I'm pleased with the way I played today -- real solid.''

Duval played with Woods for the first two rounds and showed that there are all kinds of ways to post a score.

Duval was in the trees, in the rough, behind a waist-high picket fence high on a hill over the 18th green, but managed to get out of one jam after another. He somehow finished with a 1-under 70 and was at 3-under 139.

Word of his wild round spread quickly. Hours later while on the practice range, Pat Perez asked for permission to touch his wedges, then furiously rubbed them over his clothes.

``You're unbelievable,'' said Perez, who played behind the Duval-Woods group and saw just about every shot.
    Mark Calcavecchia had knee surgery earlier this week to repair damaged cartilage in his right knee. He hopes to return March 13 at the Honda Classic. Calcavecchia did not qualify for the Match Play Championship next week. ... Matt Gogel made a hole-in-one with a 6-iron from 163 yards on the 16th hole. ... Among those missing the cut were Sergio Garcia, Colin Montgomerie and David Toms.

Tiger had a tough time today. He fell back to even par.

It will be good to see if Howell can hold off the veteran Price tomorrow.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Sergio didn't make the cut? thought that kid was a force to be reckoned with this year.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast