+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The 2006 Commonwealth Games

The 2006 Commonwealth Games

The 2006 Commonwealth Games starts in about 20 days.

It is in Melbourne, my city!

Lets Keep all discussion in 1 thread.

Post Away!
    Check out my avatar It's Chad Michael Murray!

Fort Member
    Lets hope the weather holds out

Congrats SFH.

My home town hosted the Commonwealth Games back in l983 (before you were born?). It was fantastic. It's not as big and as well-funded as the Olympics usually are. Nor will you enjoy the same international coverage. It would be great for you to see some of the sporting events that interest you. The prices are usually cheaper than would be during a Universiade or Olympic event. Volunteers are what make the games a success, almost in any city.

I was lucky enough to work at the Commonwealth Cultural Village and have extremely fond memories of the dancers, singers, musicians, artists who visited under no pressure of medalling. Please take the opportunity to see some of their performances, even if they are at local malls. You will enjoy them as well.

I wish you a successful, entertaining, and competative Games in Mellbourne. I hope you have great weather as well!

Enjoy pin-trading if you get the chance and take lots of pictures.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Thanks, misskitty!

Opening Ceremony TONIGHT!

Are you going to see it live, or watch it on tv? Let us know. I'm sure it will be fantastic!

Thanks Australia for a great opening ceremonies! Here's an update for our Canadian Forters.

Canadian Wheelchair Racer Petitclerc Makes History at Commonwealth Games Ceremony

The Montreal native became the first Canadian Paralympian to carry the country's flag at a Commonwealth, Olympic or Pan American Games as she led about 300 athletes and team officials into the storied Melbourne Cricket Ground.

The 36-year-old Petitclerc, a paraplegic since a farming accident at age 13, holds world records in four events and was a six-time gold medallist at the 2004 Paralympics in Athens. A metal pole with a holster secured to her chair held the flag.

The Canadians, who received a loud cheer from the crowd when they entered the stadium after Bermuda, were outfitted in red and white track suits with Canada emblazoned across the chest and bright red baseball caps. They also twirled red and white towels in the air.

Canada is aiming to win at least 100 medals at these Games. Leading the charge are Petitclerc, Olympic gold medal gymnast Kyle Shewfelt of Calgary and world champion diver Alexandre Despatie of Laval, Que. Other medal favourites on Canada's 253-member team include swimmer Brittany Reimer of Surrey, B.C., a double medallist at the 2005 world championships, lawn bowler Ryan Bester of Hanover, Ont., and high jumper Mark Boswell of Brampton, Ont.

Alexandra Orlando of Toronto could be Canada's top medal winner. The rhythmic gymnast is aiming for six golds.

Yay! I loved the opening ceremony! The best part was the flying tram.

In weightlifting Australia get a bronze, Canada get a silver and India get a gold.

Anyone know how swimming went?

Fort Member
    Scotland won two gold in the womans 200m freestyle and the mens 400 metre freestyle Australia won gold in the 200m womans medley and South Africa won gold in the mens 200m butterfly

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast