+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 34 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Olympics Torino 2006

Winter Olympics Torino 2006

I've always loved the winter olympics. Since we never really get snow in N.Ireland it always seems very exotic with weird sports. Of course Britain hardly ever wins a medal, for us it's all about taking part. Any of you who know more about winter sports, who are your tips to win?
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

Chad Hedrick in the 10,000 and 5,000 meter speedskating. Apolo Anton Ohno is a local guy so I'll be rooting for him in short track. Thank God I can watch the Canadian broadcasts. The coverage is so much better.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Quote Originally Posted by Belfastgirl View Post
    I've always loved the winter olympics. Since we never really get snow in N.Ireland it always seems very exotic with weird sports. Of course Britain hardly ever wins a medal, for us it's all about taking part. Any of you who know more about winter sports, who are your tips to win?
    I don't think Britain has been in the running for Olympic medals since Torville and Dean
    We did have a very good mens bobsled team once, but it's all about fractions of a second in that sport.
    One tenth off the pace and you're in 50th place.
    My neighbour bought up Eddie The Eagle the other day
    He might not have been any good, but he was bloody brave, imo and he was certainly memorable.
    Thankfully there will be a lot of Canadian contenders to cheer for.
    I'm hoping Wotherspoon can redeem himself in the speed skating (if he's even competing, I haven't checked) as he was a contender last time and literally tripped over his skate at the start of the race.

Eddie the Eagle was on the radio today. He still does personal appearances in between his day job as a plasterer and studying for a law degree! Britain won a curling gold medal in 2002. Alain Baxter won a bronze medal in 2002 but was then stripped of his medal for "drugs" offences. The hyphens are there for a reason! He used a vicks inhaler bought in the US and it contained a banned substance. If he had used one bought in Europe as he usually did it wouldn't have the banned ingredient. Sadly ignorance was not a valid defence!
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

Does anyone remember that an Australian guy won a gold in Salt Lake City? Short track I think, everyone else fell in the quarter finals, semi finals AND the finals so he won, he was the only one standing up until the end. So if Australia can win a gold, the UK probably can

As for Swedish medals, I'm hoping for Anja Pärson in downhill skiing, she's pretty good. The Swedish curling teams are also good as well as the cross country sprinters. I'm hoping to come here later to say that Sweden took a gold medal.

I don't care too much for the Winter Olympics, or at least not the sports that get the most coverage. All of the skating jumps look the same to me; as far as I know, the same team could be repeatedly riding the bobsled down the hill; skiers haven't found a new way to crash and burn. My favorite winter sports, which will no doubt get a grand total of about 5 minutes of coverage in the US, are cross-country skiing and biathlon. Those are some SERIOUS athletes!
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I love the winter Olympics. Maybe it's like Belfastgirl; I grew up in Southern California so snow is a little exotic to me. I'm stuck with the American NBC coverage, although that includes their cable channels. I saw a commercial last night, and if I understood it right, USA network is going to be given entirely over to ice skating. That seemed a bit excessive to me. I like all the downhill skiing, ski jumping, snowboarding events especially.

So the Opening Ceremonies should be going on right now, right?
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

FORT Newbie
    Hi my name is Davide, I am an italian chicago red sox fan but now I have a favour to ask u if possible.
    Next monday on nbc will be broadcasting The today show at morning time for Olympics games.
    I will assist to this show here in Torino Italy, is it possible for u to record it for me in a dvd -r?
    Logically I will pay for it...

When are the Opening Ceremonies? What day and time, please...anyone?
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

I'm obsessed with hockey, I have to love the Winter Olympics.

I didn't watch other sports when it was in Salt Lake City, so I'm hoping I can see some skiing or snowboarding this time around.

I'll pass on curling.

Opening Ceremonies...today at 7PM EST, I'm pretty sure.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 34 1234567891011 ... LastLast