+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Olympics Torino 2006

Thank goodness for the overnight replays so that I could catch Shaun White's gold medal snowboarding run I've adored him since he started competing in the X Games, so seeing him kick bootay on the half pipe really was great...and super touching with him totally welling up at the medal ceremonies.

Forget the pixies on ice and the slackers on snowboards. What I found stirring was Frode Estil, a Norwegian cross-country skier, falling at the start of the men's persuit, leaving the stadium dead last, and coming back to win the silver.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder View Post
    Forget the pixies on ice and the slackers on snowboards. What I found stirring was Frode Estil, a Norwegian cross-country skier, falling at the start of the men's persuit, leaving the stadium dead last, and coming back to win the silver.
    I completely agree Newfherder. What an amazing race that was!! For the last few yards of the race, I wondered if he was gonna take first. To me, his accomplishment was a gold medal moment!

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    I was watching the NBC wrap up and the guy led off with the quote: "When did Michele Kwan get old?" W.T.F. OLD?????? At 25!? I still can't tell if it was a sad piece, a pity piece or what, but it sure didn't sound supportive or commiserating to her difficult decision. He was talking to another man, saying that she had "won 9 U.S. Championships, but you know what people will always say about her....(implied) she never got the GOLD." Thank the Lord I'm not connected to the Olympics or I'd feel like a failure for life if I only won 9 Championships!
    Especially when she is not the oldest competitor in figure skating. Irina Slutskaya, who is favored to win gold, is 27. Maria Butyrskaya from Russia won her World Championship at age 27. John Baldwin of the American pairs team is 30. Give me a break. I think it's just because Michelle has literally been around since she was 12. She snuck out and took (and passed) her Senior test at age 13 against the instruction of her coach, so she's been skating at the senior level for about 12 years. She's far from old though. And besides the 9 National titles.. don't forget she's also a 5-time World Champion. She doesn't need a gold medal to prove that she's the best, but unfortunately that is how her career will always be defined. It's not right in my opinion. It's far more defining to be able to consistently compete year after year at the level that she has. Last year, when she placed 4th at Worlds, was the only time in all those years that she has ever not stood on the podium. She said it best in her interview with Bob Costas when she said "the gold medal is there but it's the love of the sport that's more important."

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder View Post
    Forget the pixies on ice and the slackers on snowboards.
    Oh, Newfherder: those descriptions are just too wicked for words!!! "Pixies on Ice"! "Slackers on Snowboards"!

Classic! Just Classic! I'll refer to them in those terms, ever after!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11324822/

Man threatens to attack Olympic computers
    Would-be hacker under investigation; no charges yet filed

The Associated Press
    Updated: 10:14 a.m. ET Feb. 13, 2006

TURIN, Italy - A would-be hacker was being investigated by police Monday after threatening to attack the internal computer network of the Turin Olympics organizing committee.

The man -- a technical consultant for the TOROC committee -- illicitly gained access to off-limits sections of the network, police officer Fabiola Silvestri said.

"This consultant -- who is now a former consultant -- said in a very strong way that he could do certain things to the network," TOROC spokesman Giuseppe Gattino said. "Nothing has happened and all the passwords have been disabled."

Officials declined to reveal the consultant's identity, and Gattino said he didn't know the reasons for his threatening behavior.

No charges were immediately filed against the man.

In a separate case, police found that a Turin antiques dealer had acquired five Internet domains that had similar names to Olympic Web sites. If accessed, the domains redirected users to the dealer's Web site, which also carried Olympic logos and other copyrighted material, Silvestri said.

Once he had been told that what he was doing was illegal, the dealer deleted the material and redirected users from his domains to Olympic Web sites, she said.

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

© 2006 MSNBC.com

They can't just let the Olympics happen, in peace, can they?

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    They can't just let the Olympics happen, in peace, can they?
    No. It's open and out there for everyone to take advantage and take advantage they do!

FYI, I happen to have worked for the Feds during the '88 Olympic Winter Games in Calgary, Alberta. You have NO idea what the organizers and police have to be prepared for in terms of idiots trying to either take advantage of the Games, or make a political statement by ruining something or threatening the events, the athletes, the cultural aspect, or the visitors.

Because international media is focussed on the Games, it is almost an invitation for something to happen. Luckily, anything rarely does. And most of the time, everyone tries hard to keep the bad stuff out of the media so that the focus is on the Games, the athletes, and the individual stories of those in pursuit of the gold.

However, the Olympic logos and material, and anything associated with the true Olympics has to be strictly regulated so that bogus sites, tickets, pins, souvenirs, places of business do not prosper either illegally or in an immoral fashion. This is very difficult to do. And there are an amazing amount of people who are willing to take advantage because, It's All About The Money for them. Not about spirit. Not about peaceful Games, & not about competition in the truest sense of the word.

And guys like the hacker who threatened to upset the computer system is as much a criminal in my mind, as someone who wants to do the same for a multi-national multi-million dollar business or charity.

Sorry for the rant

(I also worked for the Commonwealth Games and Universiade. The same thing happens but in a smaller proportion because they are not subsidized and covered internationally as well as the Olympic Winter or Summer Games are.)
    Last edited by misskitty; 02-13-2006 at 03:21 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    No. It's open and out there for everyone to take advantage and take advantage they do!

FYI, I happen to have worked for the Feds during the '88 Olympic Winter Games in Calgary, Alberta. You have NO idea what the organizers and police have to be prepared for in terms of idiots trying to either take advantage of the Games, or make a political statement by ruining something or threatening the events, the athletes, the cultural aspect, or the visitors.
    You know, we think of all these criminals and hackers and idiots as just 'that', when they are ALSO someone's "sons or husbands or brothers". How can they do dishonor to their family? So they don't care about the games; don't they care about what their Mom, Wife, Sister or Girlfriend thinks???

I'm sure it was a tough job, misskitty and a thankless one, since you had to be all Hush-Hush Sweet Charlotte about the bad things happening behind the scenes. So, so sad. I'm glad that there are/were people like you out there to allow us to enjoy the wee bit of peace we perceive, in the games.

And YES!!!...I'll be your Valentine!

Quote Originally Posted by libra1022 View Post
    Thank goodness for the overnight replays so that I could catch Shaun White's gold medal snowboarding run I've adored him since he started competing in the X Games, so seeing him kick bootay on the half pipe really was great...and super touching with him totally welling up at the medal ceremonies.
    I love him, too Libra! He was fantastic on the half-pipe, gravity-defying! He's such a great athelete, and I love how when that was over he said he realized this was probably the best year he'd ever have. (considering he's won every competition he's entered the in the past year.) I saw him later being interviewed by Bob Costas, and he was really funny, humble and seems like an all-over great guy. I loved the medal ceremony for him as well. I was glad that Danny Kass got another silver, but I sure would have liked to have seen an American sweep again in that event.
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

Jesus, did anyone see the Chinese pairs couple Zhang and Zhang?
    They were going for a thrown quad something and she slammed down on both knees with her left leg splayed out when she landed.

She got up, had a quick break, they skated the program and won the silver.
    Incredible.

+ Reply to Thread