+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Olympics Torino 2006

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    QUESTION: Who in the world is this person they keep referring to as "Harry Potter"????? I heard it during the opening ceremonies and again last night when I was watching the skiers fly off that 15 story jump, but I saw NO ONE that resembled Harry Potter. Can someone give me a name or link so that I can read/learn more? Thanks-thanks-and thanks, again.
    The guy you're looking for is Simon Ammann, from Switzerland.

Link to his profile from the NBC Olympics site: http://www.nbcolympics.com/athletes/5056993/detail.html
    Gustav Holst was right!

Just watched snowboarding and to be honest not the most enthralling thing to watch. Probably too old to appreciate it. Same with the moguls? yesterday ( is that how it's spelt? ) Was amazed to see a competitor with bright pink lipstick!
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

Quote Originally Posted by haejin View Post
    The guy you're looking for is Simon Ammann, from Switzerland.

Link to his profile from the NBC Olympics site: http://www.nbcolympics.com/athletes/5056993/detail.html
    "I shall forever more call you the "Sport God of Knowledge", haejin!" THANKS!!!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Amen to everything you said, Marleybone! The two previous gold medalists only got there because of luck and Michelle Kwan losing the gold. Neither of them is even really skating anymore: Tara because of health issues and Sara because of school. Also, I saw an interview with Scott Hamilton where he talked about Sara being a bit whiny (my interpretation) about all the work involved once she turned pro. Like it was going to be a cakewalk or something.

I would have loved it if Alissa had made the Olympic team. She's a joy to watch and so talented. I'm rooting for Irina now - such a great comeback story and she has worked SO hard to overcome her health problems. If Sasha wins I'll be happy too, but I really like to see someone win who worked their butt off like Irina. Yeah, I wasn't please with the whining over getting the silver at Salt Lake either BUT, I don't think she would have made a peep if Kwan was the gold medalist instead of Hughes.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'm rooting for Irina now - such a great comeback story and she has worked SO hard to overcome her health problems. If Sasha wins I'll be happy too, but I really like to see someone win who worked their butt off like Irina. Yeah, I wasn't please with the whining over getting the silver at Salt Lake either BUT, I don't think she would have made a peep if Kwan was the gold medalist instead of Hughes.
    I think you make a good point Critical. I know how I felt when Sarah won so I can't even imagine how it must have felt for the other skaters. Irina has overcome some really serious health problems over the years, she's lucky to even be alive. I had a really hard time rooting for Sasha at Nationals even with Michelle gone, so I don't know if I can root for her here.

I was watching the NBC wrap up and the guy led off with the quote: "When did Michele Kwan get old?" W.T.F. OLD?????? At 25!? I still can't tell if it was a sad piece, a pity piece or what, but it sure didn't sound supportive or commiserating to her difficult decision. He was talking to another man, saying that she had "won 9 U.S. Championships, but you know what people will always say about her....(implied) she never got the GOLD." Thank the Lord I'm not connected to the Olympics or I'd feel like a failure for life if I only won 9 Championships!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    I am so sad that Apollo Anton Ohno didn't win in the 1500 speed skating tonight...he just messed up trying to push ahead. He is such a sexy little fella......
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    She officially has until the 19 to withdraw which i hope she changes her mind about.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

That is so sad about Kwan but how totallly professional of her. How UNprofessional of the commentators about her age and not having a Gold olympic medal. She is still a star, and a champion and always should be.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I thought the tribute was lovely.

That was quite an entrance from Apollo tonight
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

+ Reply to Thread