+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Olympics Torino 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    My heart breaks for her... Now I don't care who wins the Ladies competition.

Absolutely my thoughts....

at least my tv time has freed up immensely with this sorrowful turn of events.

Michelle is an incredible champion even without an Olympic gold medal. To have the maturity to bow out now rather than compete without her full strength and to give Emily Hughes her chance at the medal, speaks immensely of Michelle's maturity and sportsmanship.

She deserves so much respect from the sports world and our nation.
    Last edited by fluff; 02-12-2006 at 02:28 PM.

Well there is Jenny Potter on the US hockey team. I am watching a match right now and they are raving about her. Maybe that is who it is.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Oh, my heart is broken that Michelle Kwan will not be competing. She is so beautiful on the ice and always looks so peaceful and happy when she skates...her joy for skating always seems to shine thru. I am not a big fan of Sasha Cohen. To me, she comes across as a tiny "diva" and for some reason she rubs me the wrong way. Don't really know alot about the other 2 girls but I will still watch the ice skating.
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs View Post
    Well there is Jenny Potter on the US hockey team. I am watching a match right now and they are raving about her. Maybe that is who it is.
    Good guess and connection, JLuvs but it's a male that they have continued to talk about. I guess I'll just keep watching, to see.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by katkitty View Post
    Absolutely my thoughts....

at least my tv time has freed up immensely with this sorrowful turn of events.

Michelle is an incredible champion even without an Olympic gold medal. To have the maturity to bow out now rather than compete without her full strength and to give Emily Hughes her chance at the medal, speaks immensely of Michelle's maturity and sportsmanship.

She deserves so much respect from the sports world and our nation.
    My thoughts exactly. This is a very sad day for me, because a very special career has come to an end. In all these years she has never conducted herself with anything but grace and dignity. I will never forget her response in Nagano when everyone kept asking her how she felt after "losing the gold medal". She said "I didn't lose gold, I won silver." Spoken like a true champion.
    She doesn't need an Olympic Gold Medal to cement her place in skating history. I personally think Olympic gold in figure skating is overrated.. the winner is not necessarily the best overall skater, it's just whoever has the skate of their life on the right night, one night every 4 years. I doubt we will ever see the likes of Michelle Kwan again. She is one of a kind and I will miss her terribly.

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama View Post
    Oh, my heart is broken that Michelle Kwan will not be competing. She is so beautiful on the ice and always looks so peaceful and happy when she skates...her joy for skating always seems to shine thru. I am not a big fan of Sasha Cohen. To me, she comes across as a tiny "diva" and for some reason she rubs me the wrong way. Don't really know alot about the other 2 girls but I will still watch the ice skating.
    ITA - her joy just shines through. I love watching her skate and she certainly deserved a gold more than Tara (gag) or Sarah. I don't care about Emily Hughes. I've never been impressed with her, nor was I impressed with her sister. I'd be much happier if Alissa Czisny had done a little better at Nationals so she could have that third Olympic spot. IMHO, she's a much better all-around skater and more pleasant to watch. (I guess as a former ballet dancer, I place a lot of importance on artistry!)

I think Sasha is a beautiful skater, I just don't like the fact that I'm nervous watching her. She's so inconsistent, she could fall at any moment. It's like watching Christopher Bowman - all that talent and not enough drive....and the mental aspect was never there. If Sasha could get it together, she'd be the total package. The odds of that happening at the Olympics, of all places?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Very sad news about Michelle. I've always been a fan and have watched her so many years, it's unfortunate to end this way. But am not surprised to see her take herself out of competition to give another girl a shot, that speaks volumes to me. A gold medal is just that...a medal. Michelle is one of a kind regardless of medals. I guess this pretty much makes it a slam dunk for the Russian girl, Irina? though, who I think also has been trying for that gold medal for three or four Olympics herself.
    Adversity reveals genius. -Horace

I'll still cheering the U.S. on of course, but with Michelle Kwan out of the skating, I just don't care about it as much. I'm not a fan of Sasha, and I really, REALLY am not a fan of Emily. Maybe Kimmie Meissner will come and blow them both away since the spotlight is anywhere but on her.

ETA: I love Apolo Ohno. Can't wait to see him in action tonight!

Oh, and I saw the Redford/Bode Miller piece yesterday and really enjoyed it. I thought it was an interesting parallel.
    Last edited by suncat7; 02-12-2006 at 04:08 PM.
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Namaste View Post
    I guess this pretty much makes it a slam dunk for the Russian girl, Irina? though, who I think also has been trying for that gold medal for three or four Olympics herself.
    Irina is 27, which irritates the crap out of me when I hear people complaining that Michelle is too old. I was not impressed with her whining after Salt Lake when she didn't win gold. Last year Irina was pretty much unbeatable, so unless she has a big splat-fest this time she will probably win.

I could care less about the Hughes girls. I'm happy for Emily that she is getting the chance of a lifetime but I won't be rooting for her. Sarah got lucky in Salt Lake and that's all.. she was never that great of a skater but simply had the skate of her life on the right night. She was a has-been the minute she got home and decided to stop competing. Same with Tara, except that she pounded her body into oblivion by doing 30+ triples every day in practice, so that by the time she was 18 or 19 her hips were shot and she was done.
    I'm hoping Kimmie Meissner can maybe pull off a triple axel and kick some butt, she will have no pressure on her so anything is possible. Count me in on wishing Alyssa Ciszny hadn't tanked at Nationals. She is a joy to watch, and if she can pull it together she will be hard to beat. Next year look out for Alyssa, BeBe Liang and Katy Taylor. I've never been a big Sasha fan, she is too inconsistent and I will be surprised if she doesn't fall on her butt.

Sasha Cohen could definitely play Alexis Bledel's double anyday, with that said, i hope she takes it. I could care less about that hughes girl.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

+ Reply to Thread