+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Olympics Torino 2006

That human skier was really cool. These are good opening ceremonies.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Quote Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
    Yeah! The Winter Olympics are finally here! I would watch 24/7 if I could.
    Me too!

That human skier was pretty cool, speedy!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

I laughed when I saw all the proud Canadians marching in, thinking of all the Canooks living...er...posting on this board!

But, what's UP with the Disco Music!!??? Who knew Disco and Olympics were a couple?
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Just watched the US team come in!

I'm glad Michelle Kwan is there but don't expect her to win that gold!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Its on like Donkey Kong! DarKensoul7's Avatar
    I always love Opening Ceremonies! They are awesome. Yea, the music was kind of bad heh.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein

MRD
    Olympic Rant: Beware.

Here in the US, we had the NBC nightly news anchor Brian Williams adding commentary to the opening ceremonies along with sports commentator Bob Costas.
    We've heard all night long about "the spirit of the games, the atheletes coming together without borders, politics or race, blah, blah, blah, a world of peace, etc."

Then during the parade of atheletes as certain countries would come in, Williams comments on the political scandals that some of them face, like Denmark and those anti-muslim cartoons and Iran vowing to wipe out Isreal.

I found it in extremely poor taste. Leave that stuff for the nightly news and keep politics OUT of the Olympics, the opening ceremonies and the parade of countries and atheletes.

I also wrote NBC about it and told them the same thing. I found it tacky, rude and distracting.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I didn't really like him commenting on Denmark and Iran either, but I still enjoyed the Parade of Nations. Always neat to see some odd countries competing. I hope that lone guy from Kenya wins a medal. (He's a cross-country skier)

Bermuda, the Winter Powerhouse!

Not a political comment, but HOW in the world do you NOT know how to pronounce "Susan Sarandon"??? The doof of an announcer called her "Susan Sar-ran-don". Idjets! He must have been blinded by Sophia's dazzling beauty.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusicade View Post

Bermuda, the Winter Powerhouse!

When I see countries like this, I can't help but remember that years ago about the Jamaican bobsled team:

"I'm feeling very Olympic today, mon"

That quote came up several times in our household last night.

I think its cool that these countries were able to field a "team" even if it was just one athelete.

Did you hear how the Germans convinced the Turin Olympic commity that beer is such a part of their national heritage that they needed it close at hand in their part of Olympic Village so it has been made available. I'm guessing the Germans will be real popular with other atheletes coming to visit.

And also now that we don't have East Germany and the Soviet Union, I think the playing field has been leveled so to speak as those countries that came out of the collapse do not have the wherewithall to train their atheletes to the point of eclipsing everyone else like they did in the past.

So far my favorites are Bode Miller and "the Flying Tomato" snowboarder. Can't remember his name, but the nickname stuck.

And "Grandma Luge". Can't remember which country she is from, but she's 52 and is competing in her 6th Olympics I Think they said. Go Grandma!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lildago View Post
    I'm glad Michelle Kwan is there but don't expect her to win that gold!
    It looks like you might be right. As much as I love Michelle and want her to win gold, she is having some trouble and had to cut her first practice short.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,184560,00.html

+ Reply to Thread