+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Olympics Torino 2006

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by julitta View Post
    i have a question since my husband, who is usually my book of knowledge, is gone. i was looking at the medal chart, and the initials they put in front of the flags. i know germany's deu is deutschland, but what is switzerland's che? thank you in advance!
    I looked it up. Switzerland is also referred to as "Confoederatio Helvetica." Confoederatio = confederation (ie the confederation of cantons that comprise Switzerland). Helvetica refers to the name of the ethnic group (Helvetier) who were the original settlers/occupiers of what is now Switzerland. On the internet, Swiss sites end in .ch. (Learn something new every day!).

I think the thing with the US is that the Olympics air on a commercial tv station (NBC). NBC's main goal is to have big ratings so they can get good advertising rates. If they find that not enough people are interested in watching biathlon (or whatever), it doesn't really behoove them to air it. Compare Canada and the UK who air the Olympics on public tv stations. These stations are not wholly dependent on advertising revenue (CBC in Canada does have commercials but they get most of their money from the government; the BBC is supported by the government (and the public via their tv rates)). As such, they are somewhat freer in their programming decisions.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    did Sweden throw it's Hockey game against Slovakia?
    a Sweden loss meant a 2nd rd matchup with Switzerland whereas a win would've meant a 2nd rd match with Canada...
    supposedly the IHF sent a Finish judge to make sure there were no shenaigans after the Sweidsh coach admitted he was contemplating throwing the game...

In the U.S. figure skating will always have big ratings and it is mostly female viewers. The demographics are mostly females that run households and the money and that is one group the advertisers want to attract.

I went to the World Championships in 2003 when they were in Washington DC and I was there all week and by Friday night the place is sold up up to the rafers for the woman events and the Exhibition the rest of the events just do not attract that much attention from the American viewing public.

I know i'm a day late, but I have been so busy. However, the women's hockey game for gold was a good game. I am glad Sweden got silver!!

I haven't been watching on tv much, but I have been checking on cbc.olympics. Thank you to whomever posted the link here!

Quote Originally Posted by QuinntheEskimo View Post
    did Sweden throw it's Hockey game against Slovakia?
    a Sweden loss meant a 2nd rd matchup with Switzerland whereas a win would've meant a 2nd rd match with Canada...
    supposedly the IHF sent a Finish judge to make sure there were no shenaigans after the Sweidsh coach admitted he was contemplating throwing the game...
    Of course things can never be proven but the Swedish people are pretty mad right now. The players said that they played like they play every game, but noone really believes them. Some people had e-mailed the TV-studio yesterday, most of them thought it was wrong ("maybe they should loose the next game as well and not face an even tougher competition in semifinals) but others meant that tactics are a part of every sports ("in cross country skiing someone can lay right behind another, steal the wind and save your strengths for the last parts") So it's divided with most people being mad, some don't even think they deserve to win now.

I saw bits of the game, it was really boring. However of course I still want them to win. And I do think Bengt-Åke Gustavsson was really stupid to let people even speculate that they might not play their best game.

Am I the only one here? I guess that is what happens when everyone else lives in a different time zone.

The finals in Sprint cross country was great. Two Swedes, which meant at least one medal. But they really came through and gave us one gold and one bronze . I just saw the prize ceremony and the winner, Björn Lind, looked so genuinely happy that I felt so happy for him. It's slalom time, go Anja Pärson!!
    Last edited by femme fatale; 02-22-2006 at 10:05 AM.

thank you ccl! it's been bugging me since yesterday. i tried to search it out, and couldn't find anything.

sasha cohen skated beautifully last night. maybe she is getting the performing in front of crowd jitters out of her system? i hope so. it is about time she gets to step out of kwan's shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by Belfastgirl View Post
    So what are the ratings in your country for the Winter Olympics. So far the ice dancing has been the most popular viewing in Britain with nearly 5 million viewers on BBC2.

http://media.guardian.co.uk/overnigh...714598,00.html
    NBC released that the Olympics have averaged a little over 13.3 million viewers each night. This is considered a major ratings flop. And the ratings have dropped between 20-25% from the 1998 Nagano games.

I got my numbers from the following sites:

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/tor...v=ap&type=lgns

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...adlines-sports

heres to sasha cohen for gold tommorow. and possibly kimmie meissner for bronze?

i could go waaay out on a limb and hope for an american cohen-meissner-hughes figure skating medal trifecta.........

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by maersk View Post
    heres to sasha cohen for gold tommorow. and possibly kimmie meissner for bronze?

i could go waaay out on a limb and hope for an american cohen-meissner-hughes figure skating medal trifecta.........
    They kept cutting to Kimmy Meisner in the audience last night looking ticked as other skaters passed her in the ranking.

Sasha Cohen did really well - good for her. I just saw her on Project Runway this week - I was half hoping she would show up in the winning outfit last night.

Chandra Crawford from Canada won the gold in the 1.1 Km Cross Country Sprint.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread