+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Olympics Torino 2006

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by QuinntheEskimo View Post

maybe i read too many Olympic articles- there are plenty of websites with Olympic coverage that are chock full of all Davis' trials and tribulations in his skating quest... he's an angry angry man!
    Of course, he is another angry black man. Maybe he is pissed off and from what I have read about his skating career, I can understand it. But I dont see him playing any "victimized oppressed minority" game.

I tend to agree with you Detguy. Davis has been quiet, and focused on his event(s). For whatever reason, people see that as a negative. I don't believe at this point, he has any explaining to do. Why is it that folks are sick of hearing too much from some, and not enough from others. Watching a short bio on NBC prior to his race, his mom did almost all the talking. So it should not be a surprise that even after the race he doesn't have much to say.
    Leave the guy alone - and let him do what he set out to do.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone View Post
    I saw that too, and I agree Shani Davis acted like an ass. I don't know if they whole story behind the tension between the US speed skaters has been told, but you could cut it with a knife last night after he won.

As far as him being the first African American to win at the Winter Olympics, he's not the first to medal. I'm surprised they didn't mention Debi Thomas' bronze medal in '88. Granted, it wasn't gold so it makes Davis' medal a bigger deal, but she was the first African American to medal in the winter games.

They just specified that particular statment that they made last night. Davis is the first African American male to win gold in the winter Olympics....sorry for the mix up....
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Anyone watching the ice dancing? The Canadians were having a great performance until the end when either she fell or he dropped her. She tried to walk off but he ended up carrying her. Poor thing! My heart just went out to her. She's really in pain!

ETA: The first Italian pair just had a fall too. Luckily no one is hurt. There may be a chance for the US pair after all.
    Last edited by lildago; 02-19-2006 at 11:12 PM.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by lildago View Post
    Anyone watching the ice dancing? The Canadians were having a great performance until the end when either she fell or he dropped her. She tried to walk off but he ended up carrying her. Poor thing! My heart just went out to her. She's really in pain!

ETA: The first Italian pair just had a fall too. Luckily no one is hurt. There may be a chance for the US pair after all.
    Yes I saw that...and several others after them that fell....I always yell when one of 'em falls and end up scaring whoever is home with me because they think something is wrong with me!!!! I think it was the Italian pair....I believe that is probably the couple belfastgirl was talking about earlier that if looks could kill...I think that Italian woman (the red headed woman) was pissed to high heaven and all she did was just stand there in the middle of the ice and look at her partner like "DAMN!DAMN!DAMN!" after they fell.....
    Last edited by bbnbama; 02-20-2006 at 12:17 AM.
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

What an exiciting pairs ice dancing! THREE couples fall!

Our Canadian pair fell really hard. Apparently, their grip slipped. She was taken to the hospital and x-rayed and she is fine with no broken bones but heavily bruised. They are expected to warm-up tomorrow morning around 9:30am. They hope that they will continue to compete. Whew!

And that Italian couple. Oh my! Was she ever ANGRY at him. His feet got tangled up and he caused her to fall. She was just spitting and couldn't even say anything. She just GLARED. Ooooo.

I have to say I really enjoyed the American couple! Of course, 1/2 of that is our Canadian girl who managed to get her citizenship 2 weeks ago! They looked like they had control, had fun, and did well under the pressure. It will be exciting to see what happens tomorrow! I hope they do well.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama View Post
    They just specified that particular statment that they made last night. Davis is the first African American male to win gold in the winter Olympics....sorry for the mix up....
    Ahh.. I missed that part. Thanks for setting me straight.

FORT Fogey
    Davis is the first african american to win an individual gold - male or female. There was a woman four years ago who was the first african american to win a gold but that was in the two-woman bobsled i think.

Hey everyone! Do you feel bad that your favorite athlete or team didn't win? Then check out this site. It will make you feel so much better. It celebrates last-place finishes at the Olympics.

Because they're there, and you're not.

http://www.mcwetboy.net/dfl
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Here's a link to explain the "death stare" Barbara Fuser-Poli gave to her partner.
    http://www.eurosport.com/figureskati...to837170.shtml

The commentators I was listening to seem to think that the pressures of the Olympics and the much more technical content of the programme certainly contributed to all the mishaps on Sunday.

Really looking forward to Monday's free dance. Hopefully the Canadians will be fit to skate
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

+ Reply to Thread