+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Olympics Torino 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone View Post
    As far as him being the first African American to win at the Winter Olympics, he's not the first to medal. I'm surprised they didn't mention Debi Thomas' bronze medal in '88. Granted, it wasn't gold so it makes Davis' medal a bigger deal, but she was the first African American to medal in the winter games.

True, plus, if I recall correctly, an African American female won gold in tandem bobsled last Olympics in Salt Lake, I think Williams was her last name.
    Adversity reveals genius. -Horace

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by Belfastgirl View Post
    To anyone yet to watch the ice dancing on Sunday............... remember ice is slippy...............and if looks could kill!

Uh oh....wonder what's gonna happen?????????!!!!!!! Nice teaser Belfastgirl!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone View Post
    I saw that too, and I agree Shani Davis acted like an ass. I don't know if they whole story behind the tension between the US speed skaters has been told, but you could cut it with a knife last night after he won.

As far as him being the first African American to win at the Winter Olympics, he's not the first to medal. I'm surprised they didn't mention Debi Thomas' bronze medal in '88. Granted, it wasn't gold so it makes Davis' medal a bigger deal, but she was the first African American to medal in the winter games.
    They said Shani Davis was the first African American athlete to win an individual gold in the winter Olympics. Mention was made of Debi Thomas and the bobsledder. He did come off as rather rude last night in the NBC interview. :/ I was reading an article about him. Apparently there was a Dutch documentary made about him wherein his mother told him that one day someone would realize what a loser he was. So I guess he's facing a lot of pressure from different quarters. He had some very nice comments about Jeremey Wotherspoon though (poor Jeremy) so that was good. And he looked cute holding the bear while he was skating around. He's an enigma.

Speaking of enigmas, I don't know what is up with Bode Miller. He seems like rather a jerk and yet I find him intriguing. Darn the bad boy-ness.

The Canadian men's hockey team is a blowout so far. Hmmm.

Cindy Klassen won a 3rd medal today - way to go!
    Last edited by CCL; 02-19-2006 at 06:36 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Right on CCL!

Long-track speedskater Cindy Klassen has become the first Canadian woman to win three medals at a single Winter Olympics.

- a silver in the women's 1,000 metres
    - a silver in the team pursuit
    - a bronze in the 3,000 metres.

Woo Hoo! What an athlete!

It is so incredibly tough to even MAKE it to the Olympics let win qualifying heats and medal. My gosh! I would never have the dedication to put so many years into something that hinges on 1/100th of a second. We should be proud of every athlete that makes your national team and participates.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

FORT Fogey
    I think Davis on some level has a chip on his shoulder and almost understandably. I dont think he has had a good relationship with the US Skating Fed which probably explains why he wanted to train alone. There is a long history there. In addition, Chad Hendrick has spent a week whining about Davis not competing in the team event, instead focusing on this event. I mean i like Hendrick but enough was enough. I think Davis might feel a sense of vindication. I think he and Hendrick were both thinking of themselves (he wanted to save his legs for the event in which he is the world record holder, and Hendrick at the time still had a chace at five golds).

Quote Originally Posted by singing w/ Clay View Post
    arg..........Team Canada didnt come out the way I thought they would......

Could you pass the crow please?
    Thank you.
    I am so disappointed in the way the Men's hockey team is playing. They are absolutely floundering. It is truly embarassing.

Yes, I'm double-posting because my home-town (Edmonton) boy deserves his own applause:

Canada took SILVER in two man Bobsled Pierre Lueders and Lascelles Brown. The race was held in blowing, wet snow. The pair has only been competing together for a short time and Brown just squeeked in with his Canadian citizenship while he was down there in order to qualify.

Lueders lives for bobsleigh and trains at Canada Olympic Park. I had the honor to ride in HIS bobsled down the Olympic run when I was in Calgary. It was a 4-man sled but Leuders was the driver. I sat directly behind him. When we hit the 360 turn at 8G's my head fell forward and my helmet hit him in the head. He was laughing about it later. An amazing memory with an amazingly committed athlete.

And if you don't believe me, take a look at these stats!

Olympic medals
    2006, Turin, Italy, 2-man, Pierre Lueders - SILVER
    1998, Nagano, Japan, 2-man, Pierre Lueders - GOLD

World Championship Excellence
    2005, Calgary, CAN, 4-man, Pierre Lueders - Bronze
    2005, Calgary, CAN, 2-man, Pierre Lueders - GOLD
    2004, Konigssee, Germany, 2-man, Pierre Lueders - GOLD
    2003, Lake Placid, USA, 2-man, Pierre Lueders - Silver
    1999, Cortina, Italy, 4-man, Pierre Lueders, Bronze
    1996, Calgary, Canada, 2-man, Pierre Lueders, Silver
    1995, Winterberg, Germany, 2-man, Pierre Lueders, Silver

World Cup Excellence
    2006 Nation's Cup 2-man - SILVER
    2006 World Cup - Overall Combined Pierre Leuders -GOLD
    2005 Nationís Cup, 2-man - GOLD
    2005 World Cup - Overall, 2-man, Lueders/Brown - SILVER
    2004 World Cup - Overall, Combined, Pierre Lueders - SILVER
    2003 Nationís Cup- SILVER
    2003 World Cup - Overall, 2-man, Pierre Lueders - GOLD
    2002 World Cup Ė Overall, 2-man, Pierre Lueders - SILVER
    2000,World Cup - Overall, Combined, Pierre Lueders - BRONZE
    2000, World Cup - Overall, 4-man, Pierre Lueders, BRONZE
    1999, World Cup - Overall, Combined, Pierre Lueders - BRONZE
    1999, World Cup - Overall, 2-man Pierre Lueders, BRONZE
    1998, World Cup - Overall, Combined, Pierre Lueders - GOLD
    1998, World Cup - Overall, 2-man, Pierre Lueders - GOLD
    1997, World Cup - Overall, Combined, Pierre Lueders - BRONZE
    1997, World Cup - Overall, 2-man, Pierre Lueders - GOLD
    1996, Nationís Cup - Silver
    1996, World Cup - Overall, 2-man/Combined, Pierre Lueders - SILVER
    1995, World Cup - Overall, Combined,Pierre Lueders - GOLD
    1995, World Cup - Overall, 2-man, Pierre Lueders - GOLD
    1995, World Cup - Overall, 4-man, Pierre Lueders - GOLD
    1994, World Cup - Overall, Combined, Pierre Lueders - GOLD
    1994, World Cup - Overall, 2-man, Pierre Lueders - GOLD
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel View Post
    I am so disappointed in the way the Men's hockey team is playing. They are absolutely floundering. It is truly embarassing.
    The USA Basektball Dream Team mentality has finally spilled over to the world of hockey... how can countries expect to put together quality hockey teams with a total of ONE practice before the real games begin?? The USA team had one practice together... and the results show it!

re: Davis- he's playing the victimized oppressed minority to the hilt... he screwed the pooch on any possibilities of getting a commercial sponsorship out of this gold... i'm particularly looking forward to the 1500 now, and i hope Hedrick absolutely buries him.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by QuinntheEskimo View Post
    re: Davis- he's playing the victimized oppressed minority to the hilt... he screwed the pooch on any possibilities of getting a commercial sponsorship out of this gold... i'm particularly looking forward to the 1500 now, and i hope Hedrick absolutely buries him.
    Oh please. Exactly how is he playing the "victimized oppressed minority"?

He's the one you havent heard from in the media. Its been all Hedrick.

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar

maybe i read too many Olympic articles- there are plenty of websites with Olympic coverage that are chock full of all Davis' trials and tribulations in his skating quest... he's an angry angry man!

+ Reply to Thread