+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Olympics Torino 2006

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    I don't know if anyone was watching the speedskating last night where USA's Shani Davis won the gold in the men's competition but I'm sorry...he was so rude to the reporter. I mean for goodness sakes he had just won gold and all he was giving was one word answers and without a smile on his face the whole time! The reporter finally asked him if he was angry and he said no, he was at a loss for words but it wasn't the "I'm at a loss for words because I'm so completely overjoyed" it was "I'm at a loss for words because I've decided I'd like to be a ass" words.

I know he's an outsider with his teammates and he separates himself from the rest of the US speedskaters (other than Apollo) but they weren't anywhere around him and he should have been a little excited, wouldn't you think?....he had made history in the fact he was the 1st African American to win in the Winter Olympics.......I don't know for some reason that really griped my butt last night......
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi View Post
    Seriously? Wow, that's pretty harsh.

First off all, there aren't exactly a LOT of tax dollars going to these athletes and most of them have to depend on any sort of sponsorship or sponsorship programs like Visa & RBC to help them out. For the most part, most of the money goes to the athletes that have a good chance at medaling, not the developing athletes.

Making the top 10 is a HUGE accomplishment. It means that in the world, they are considered one of the ten best in their field. Some of these athletes are very young and have at least 2 Olympiscs ahead of themselves. There is enough pressure on them, most of them KIDS, that they don't need to feel like a failure or a disappointment to their entire country if they don't medal. They should be proud. We should be proud.
    I agree with everything you said
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder View Post
    What's-her-name wanted to make her mark by showboating. I'd say she definitely achieved her goal, although it wasn't in the way she had in mind. She is a foolish child.
    It might not be a total loss, maybe she can get an endorsement from Oscar Meyer and help them sell hot dogs.

The British skeleton bob silver medallist had to rely on her local pub to raise the 3000 she needed to pay for her sled, which the media keep calling a "teatray" Some of these athletes are hanging on to their dream by living on air!
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

This hockey game between USA and Sweden is quite a nailbiter.
    It looks like the Swedes will come out on top. If my Team USA had to lose, I am happy to be rooting for the Swedes to medal in hockey. There are 4 Redwings on team Sweden.

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder View Post
    As for Costas' assessment, be honest--who really remembers who wins Olympic events, especially when the winner is from another country?
    I do. If it's an event I like -- and I like most of them -- and the perforance was memorable, I don't care what country the medalist is from either.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

You can all guess that I'm very pleased with my hockey team. I was really nervous for the last five minutes, so worried that the US would get a goal. And I must say that I was surprised at how good Sweden played when they/we were 3 vs. 5. But I guess both of the teams will go on to the quarter finals.

arg..........Team Canada didnt come out the way I thought they would......

Could you pass the crow please?
    Thank you.

Premium Member
    I saw that too, and I agree Shani Davis acted like an ass. I don't know if they whole story behind the tension between the US speed skaters has been told, but you could cut it with a knife last night after he won.

As far as him being the first African American to win at the Winter Olympics, he's not the first to medal. I'm surprised they didn't mention Debi Thomas' bronze medal in '88. Granted, it wasn't gold so it makes Davis' medal a bigger deal, but she was the first African American to medal in the winter games.

To anyone yet to watch the ice dancing on Sunday............... remember ice is slippy...............and if looks could kill!
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

+ Reply to Thread