+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Olympics Torino 2006

I am from England originally, so I alway cheer for the Brits and Ireland first.

Then I am normally pulling for Norway.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Well, more controversy in the figure skating apparantly over scoring. Just like the last winter olympics. The Italian ice dancers are first and the BBC commentators can't believe it! Favouritism?
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

Quote Originally Posted by Rusicade View Post
    The US has a curling team? I thought curling only went as far south as Windsor, Ontario.
    Don't forget that Windsor is further south than most of Michigan, and a lot of other states too!!!!

We live close to Bowling Green State University in Ohio and they have a curling club there. In fact, my son and husband are going curling with a group from church tomorrow.

For those of you who want to follow the results online as they happen, the official website is great.

http://www.torino2006.org/ENG/Olympi...ome/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Belfastgirl
    Well, more controversy in the figure skating apparantly over scoring. Just like the last winter olympics. The Italian ice dancers are first and the BBC commentators can't believe it! Favouritism?
    Oh good!! I do like a little scoring controversy with my figure skating. Like fighting and hockey, they go hand in hand. I look forward to seeing it tonight.

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusicade View Post
    Err, sorry. I don't mean I'm anti-American, I just love seeing teams thriumph over the Americans in sports.
    Jeez, thanks. Just for that, I'm no longer going to eat Canadian bacon or drink Molson

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    a semifinal hockey game shouldn't be decided by a shootout... ugh

and another fine showing by an American in Snowboarder X... that is until she wiped out in the gold medal race right in front of the finish line while SHOWBOATING off a jump with a huge lead...

i dont understand- if you spend years and years working towards a goal- why would you showboat and do something stupid when you're about about a nano second away from achieving those goals?

US ice dancers Tanith Belbin & Ben Agosto are so cute together. I really hope they do better on Sunday! Although they're in 6th place, there's not a huge margin between them and the first place Italians.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    I'm cheering for the U.S. forever and for always. Not just because i live in it, i swear.:-D
    Anyhow, i was watching the women snowboarding tonight or whatever it is they call it, I feel horrible for the girl who took the tumble.
    I think Bob Costas said that they wouldn't remember that Tanja(Switzerland) won the gold but they'd remember that the Lindsey (US) lost.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by QuinntheEskimo View Post
    a semifinal hockey game shouldn't be decided by a shootout... ugh

and another fine showing by an American in Snowboarder X... that is until she wiped out in the gold medal race right in front of the finish line while SHOWBOATING off a jump with a huge lead...

i dont understand- if you spend years and years working towards a goal- why would you showboat and do something stupid when you're about about a nano second away from achieving those goals?
    I laughed hysterically. Total case of hubris coming to bite her in the butt. Anyways, she seemed to take it pretty well. And she's only 20 - there will be other Olympics for her to redeem herself at (the winner was 30, if that is any indication).

It's sweet that the female gold medallist for snowboarding cross is the girlfriend of the men's gold medallist. The King & Queen of Snowboarding Cross at the moment, I would say.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    femme - bite your tongue! The Canadians must beat the Finns in the hockey. And then we can beat you Swedes (as the laws of nature require). Even my Swedish-supporting mom wants the Canadians to win in hockey.
    I think it was pretty obvious that Canada would win, and I think they'll win on Monday as well. But nobody, not eve here, was expecting Sweden to beat the US so unlikely things do happen. I don't care too much about hockey but medals are always fun. Right now I'm looking forward to see what Anja Pärson can do in the alpine combination, she's in place four after the slalom.

And CCL, the Swedes are pretty much satisfied with a place 25 as well. Before the Olympics I read an interview with Kim Martin (the goalkeeper of the Swedish female hockey team said that they deserved the bronze because they had trained for it. Who trains for a bronze??? If I ever was to compete in the Olympics (which is very likely NOT to happen) I would train for the gold, even if I knew it was impossible.
    Last edited by femme fatale; 02-18-2006 at 04:08 AM.

The BBC commentator got a bit hysterical as Frieden crossed the line in the snowboarding cross event. He was almost yelling "Frieden" repeatedly so it sounded like Mel Gibson in Braveheart!
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

+ Reply to Thread