+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Olympics Torino 2006

Quote Originally Posted by pineapple View Post
    Jeffrey Buttle wins a bronze medal!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plushenko was just amazing!
    If you don't mind filling me in, what happened to Johnny Weir?

Quote Originally Posted by kimrs View Post
    If you don't mind filling me in, what happened to Johnny Weir?
    He ended up 5th. I didn't see his entire free skate, but he had some errors and CBC commentators were saying (I think they were talking about Johnny) that what he was skating and what they had on paper were quite different. (I guess he was changing things and trying to get more jumps in)
    Last edited by pineapple; 02-16-2006 at 06:02 PM.

There was a lot of change in the placings. The guy who was 4th was 10th after the short programme. Can't remember his name though?
    Only Plushenko really showed his class in the final group
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

Quote Originally Posted by Belfastgirl View Post
    There was a lot of change in the placings. The guy who was 4th was 10th after the short programme. Can't remember his name though?
    Only Plushenko really showed his class in the final group
    Yeah, that was Evan Lysacek from the US. Full results are here

Thanks Pineapple, the way the scores are shown in your link shoe how much change there was between short and long programmes.

Canada rocked today! 4 medals! speedskating (2), men's figures, and hockey! Woo Hoo! And I think we got one late in women's skeleton luge too! Now THAT is a crazy sport! I guess there's a debate on the speedskating; we could be upgraded to a silver from a bronze because the silver winner didn't have both skates touching the ice as he crossed the line!

And we would have had another if that "guy from the coast" didn't defect to Australia! He's a sports traiter. Trained, practised and was supported here until the big games and then he leaves to represent Australia (nothing personal here) without so much as attempting to try out for the Canadian team. Apparently, he's a millionaire teen who owns a spamming computer business. And has a lot of attitude. May deserve his sports win, but as a person, I'd like some better qualities.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Plushenko was just amazing!

I concur and just watched it. WOW. I love him.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Thanks Belfastgirl! I never got a chance to watch last night, my class wasn't over until 8:15pm just in time to catch the end of Survivor, then I flicked back and forth between the Oympics/CSI/Beauty and the Geek. Two many shows, so little TV's!

Weir's diva attitude ruins chance for medal

Self-absorption caught up with skater when he forgot to check bus schedule

As much as Johnny Weir was talking all week, he didn’t have time to listen, Tim Dahlberg writes.

Updated: 10:11 a.m. ET Feb. 17, 2006
    TURIN, Italy - Johnny Weir was busy as he prepared for the biggest night of his life. Getting ready in the athletes’ village, his schedule went something like this:

Make sure swan costume from short program securely put away. Check.

Clean dorm room floor one more time. Check.

Glue missing sequins back on outfit. Check

Catch bus to arena.

Oops.

Weir’s worst Olympic moment didn’t come on the ice Thursday night, where he blew a chance to win a figure skating medal. It came when he was wandering around in the cold wondering if he would ever get to the arena.

Bus schedules? Those are for the concierge to read.

Besides, as much as Weir was talking all week, he didn’t have time to listen.

America’s only hope in the men’s figure skating arrived late and never recovered, skating a tentative one-bear program and dropping from second place to fifth in his first Olympics.

That’s one bear, as in only one fan threw a bear on the ice after he was done. Evgeni Plushenko got dozens, and a gold medal to wrap around them.

It was that bad, and Weir knew it.

“I just couldn’t get comfortable in this building tonight,” he said. “I need to train better. I need to train for every circumstance.”

Such as?

“Being late to the arena.”

If there wasn’t so much at stake, this could have seemed like a bad “I Love Lucy” rerun with Lucy running around the parking lot frantically trying to hail a cab.

But there was nothing funny about Weir walking out from the village to the bus he expected to be waiting with less than two hours before his skate. It wasn’t there because the Italian organizers had changed the schedule and the buses that used to run every 10 minutes were now running every half-hour.

It doesn’t take much to shake up the average figure skater. Takes even less to rattle a self-described “princessy” one who complained the minute he came to the village that there was no room service, the bed was hard and there was dust on the floor of his room.

He wanted a hotel and limo service. He got a twin bed and a bus schedule.

If he hadn’t found a volunteer with a car after about 20 minutes of walking around, he might have had to walk to the arena.

“It was never brought to my attention it would be changed,” Weir said. “I guess it’s my fault because I didn’t bother to ask.”

Maybe Weir could have squeezed the question in between interviews. With Michelle Kwan out and Weir sitting in second place after the short program, he was on NBC more this week than Jay Leno

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11397282/

Think diva attitude is right according to this article. Haven't seen this guy interviewed. Is this article fair comment? Does he really think he "deserves" such special treatment?

Sweden's in the finals in the women hockey tournament! We beat USA in the semifinals, which I don't think many people predicted, so now we have one more gold or silver. Probably silver so Misskitty will be happy!

+ Reply to Thread