+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NFL committee to ask Lions about coaching search

NFL committee to ask Lions about coaching search

NFL committee to ask Lions about coaching search

February 14, 2003

NEW YORK (AP) -- The NFL's diversity committee plans to ask the Detroit Lions about their hiring of coach Steve Mariucci and whether they adequately considered minority candidates.

After the Lions hired Mariucci this month, committee chairman and Pittsburgh Steelers president Dan Rooney said the club's process ``fell short'' of committee guidelines.

Gene Upshaw, executive director of the NFL Players Association, the Rev. Jesse Jackson and attorneys Cyrus Mehri and Johnnie Cochran Jr. criticized the Lions for not seriously interviewing at least one minority candidate.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Friday that the diversity committee will meet the first week of March in Palm Beach, Fla., as part of a series of scheduled league committee meetings. He declined to comment further.

Lions spokesman Craig Vandermuse confirmed Friday that the NFL is investigating whether Detroit complied with its guidelines on interviewing minority group members. Lions president Matt Millen plans to meet with NFL officials to discuss the hiring, Vandermuse said.

Vandermuse said five minority candidates turned down interview requests from the Lions because it appeared inevitable that Mariucci would be hired. He said the team had no further comment on the matter at this time.

The league's committee on workplace diversity drafted the hiring policy in December. The league hasn't said what the punishment might be for a team that fails to adhere to the new guidelines.

Mooch is a minority...he is a Yooper. (and what a downtrodden group we are)
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

I don't blame the Lions, if you send out invites and they ignore you, you at least tried. Now did they send out to three hispanics, two blacks, and an Asian? Thats approximatley the makeup of the US now and thats what they are striving for isn't it? HMNMMMMM?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

My understanding of the process is that they have to make a good faith effort to include minorities in the process.

If they sent out invitiations, but the invitations said "you can call if you want, but we're really 99% sure we're going to hire Mooch" then that's not a good faith effort. That's just window-dressing.

I just think its defication that they have to go by racial guidelines in order to hire a decent person.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

+ Reply to Thread