+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: NASCAR News 2006

NASCAR fans, have you heard about this?

Ok, I went to my first race over Memorial Day and i think its a fun sport to watch. As i am learning about everything i learned that CINTAS is fighting NASCAR right now. They want their race track included in the circuit, but NASCAR passed them over. Their response? They’re trying to get the courts to change the way tracks are selected. This could mean people's favorite tracks (Poconos, Talladega, Richmond, etc) left off in favor of shiny new tracks. Now being a new fan and all that just doenst seem right. Seems like NASCAR needs to stand up to this and fight. Any avid NASCAR fans have any sort of opinion on this? Has anyone seen petitions at the races?

http://action.unitehere.org/campaign/thetracksuit

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

signed the petion. I cant believe that NASCAR is still dealing with Cintas with this crap going on!!!!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikai View Post
    signed the petion. I cant believe that NASCAR is still dealing with Cintas with this crap going on!!!!
    which race did you sign the petition? And you say "still"? How long has this suit been going on? I just learned about it recently. So you dont think Cintas should have a track?

Benjamin Franklin.

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    signed it too ....on the website link supplied by Toby

Oh Cool Joe Guy, thanks. I may be new to this sport but glad i can help out the NASCAR fans and preserve its traditional ways and values. If any other NASCAR fans feel the same way about the new track, sign the petition. Thanks Guys

http://action.unitehere.org/campaign/thetracksuit

Benjamin Franklin.

This isn't exactly NASCAR news but it sounds cool as hell. Joe are you with me on this?

Rusty joins Reality Racing: Reality Racing, Inc. has announced that Rusty Wallace has joined its group of racing legends who will be participating in the Reality Racing, The Rookie Challenge television series. Wallace will serve as a consultant to the Reality Racing project. Racing legends Bobby and Donnie Allison, Cale Yarborough, NedJarrett, Buddy Baker, Junior Johnson and Geoff Bodine were recently announced as judges for the Series that will give everyday people who love stock car racing the opportunity to become a stock car driver. Information on Reality Racing: The Rookie Challenge can be obtained by visiting the Reality Racing web site at www.realityracingtv.com.(PR)(7-7-2006)
    http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm

Ups Moving To Michael Waltrip Racing

Famed Partnership With Dale Jarrett Stays Intact When Toyota Camry Hits Track in 2007

UPS MOVING TO MICHAEL WALTRIP RACING
    JOLIET, Ill., July 7, 2006 -- UPS (NYSE: UPS) today announced a two-year agreement with Michael Waltrip Racing to sponsor driver Dale Jarrett in a Toyota Camry for the 2007 and 2008 seasons of the NASCAR Nextel Cup Series.

The announcement here at the Chicagoland Speedway comes after Jarrett agreed earlier this year to move to the Waltrip organization and race a Camry starting with the 2007 Daytona 500.

UPS has supported Jarrett since 2001 when it first became a NASCAR team sponsor, in the process launching its highly popular "Race the Truck" advertising campaign. That campaign has made Jarrett's name synonymous with UPS and its "big brown truck" and maintaining that brand connection was a factor in the company's decision.

"Dale Jarrett has been an outstanding ambassador for the UPS brand both on and off the track and we expect more great things to come as we join him at Michael Waltrip Racing as the sponsor of his Toyota Camry," said Patrick Guilbert, vice president of sponsorships for UPS. "Since our relationship with Dale began in 2001, his contributions have helped UPS build a powerful sponsorship program that resonates with our employees, customers and NASCAR fans alike."

"My association with UPS over the past six years has been both rewarding and fun, so I'm thrilled to be able to continue this relationship," Jarrett said. "UPS has set new standards in the way sponsors can work with drivers and the teams to develop creative and effective marketing programs."

The decision to join Michael Waltrip Racing places UPS among the first sponsors to adorn a Toyota Camry in 2007, which is the manufacturer's inaugural season in the NASCAR Nextel Cup Series.

"The UPS name also is synonymous with speed and that's what Michael Waltrip Racing intends to deliver to UPS and Dale with the new UPS Toyota Camry," said owner Michael Waltrip. "From a business perspective, the addition of UPS expands our resources, which enables us to build the best teams and in turn grow our organization at a pace that will enhance our ability to win races."

"We are ecstatic for Michael to have UPS join his already impressive lineup of sponsors," said Jim Aust, vice president of Motorsports, Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. "Michael and his team have done a phenomenal job in partnering with some of America's most recognizable brands, and UPS is a tremendously successful company that is recognized by households as a global business leader. We are in full support of Michael Waltrip Racing fielding three NASCAR Nextel Cup teams in 2007 and feel Michael has formed the foundation of a formidable racing organization that we are proud to have carry the Toyota nameplate."

UPS will continue its sponsorship of Dale Jarrett and Robert Yates Racing through the 2006 NASCAR Nextel Cup Series season.

"Robert Yates Racing has been an important part of the UPS Racing Program for the last six years," Guilbert added. "We're proud to have been associated with the Yates family and we appreciate their support of our corporate sponsorship goals over the years."

Headquartered in Atlanta, Ga., UPS is the world's largest package delivery company and a global leader in supply chain services. Each day, the UPS pit crew of more than 407,000 dedicated employees delivers to more than 200 countries and territories worldwide.

UPS is currently in its sixth year as primary sponsor of the #88 Ford driven by Dale Jarrett for Robert Yates Racing and its seventh year as the official delivery company of NASCAR. Building on the sport's popularity and fan loyalty, UPS provides updated information about UPS Racing, Dale Jarrett and the #88 team as well as access to licensed merchandise at http://www.racing.ups.comhttp://www..../20060707.html
    This comes as no surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott View Post
    This comes as no surprise.
    With all the advertising they have invested in him?!?!? Changing the number in the ads will be simple in this day and age.

Now this was feudiing at its best!!!!!

From the That's Racing site.
    http://www.thatsracin.com/mld/thatsracin/14995547.htm

Posted on Sat, Jul. 08, 2006

In today's squeaky clean NASCAR, neglecting to send a thankyou note can be trumpeted as a 'feud'

By ED HINTON
    The Orlando Sentinel

Seldom if ever has there been so much ado about so much silliness as in the first half of this NASCAR season, which will be mercifully concluded Sunday at Chicagoland Speedway.

Tony Stewart and Matt Kenseth accidentally wrecked each other in NASCAR’s all-star race in May, got out of their cars and jawed about each other into TV microphones. In the aftermath, breathless media shrieked that a “feud” had erupted.

You want a feud? In 1986, Dale Earnhardt stuffed Darrell Waltrip head-on into a guardrail at Richmond, Va., so hard that car owner Junior Johnson fumed that Earnhardt tried to kill his driver. That was the culmination of a feud that had lasted more than five years.

Also in May, Kyle Busch climbed out of his car in a snit during the Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte, N.C., and threw his HANS head-restraint collar at the passing car of the perceived offender, Casey Mears. He missed. Besides, the device, made of composite fiber and some straps, hardly qualifies as a missile. Busch was fined $50,000 by NASCAR – an acronym that nowadays seems to stand for National Association for Squeaky Clean Auto Racing – and headlines screamed that “road rage” had come to the race tracks.

You want rage? In 1966, Curtis Turner and Bobby Allison wrecked each other at Winston-Salem, N.C., and kept beating on each other until they spun off into the infield. There, they continued to collide, like a two-car demolition derby, until “there was nothing left of those two cars but the steam coming out of the radiators,” one witness said.

At Texas Motor Speedway in April, Kurt Busch wrecked Greg Biffle, whose girlfriend then walked the length of the pit road and said something irate to Busch’s girlfriend. That was about it. The ensuing headlines: “Cat Fight!”

Listen: The late behemoth Tiny Lund once single-handedly took on the entire Petty clan in a pit brawl, and was holding his own against the men when he was knocked unconscious by one of the Petty women, with her purse. Lund later reasoned that the handbag must have contained either a bottle of whiskey or a gun, to carry that much force.

(“It had to be a gun,” one witness reckoned, because the lady in question “was a Baptist.”)

After time trials for this season’s opening race, the Daytona 500, Jimmie Johnson’s car was caught with a cheated-up rear window, meant to enhance aerodynamic performance. His crew chief, Chad Knaus, was suspended from the 500 and three subsequent races.

Even after Johnson’s car was corrected to the satisfaction of inspectors, and went on to win the 500 and passed another inspection, Knaus’ infraction was referred to in the media for weeks as the “cheating scandal.”

Cheating never has been scandalous in NASCAR. It’s part of the game. But if you want a “scandal,” try figuring out how many of Richard Petty’s NASCAR-record 200 wins, including a record seven Daytona 500 victories, were in cars prepared by Petty’s own rule of thumb: “I always told my guys, ‘Cheat neat, and you can get by with a bunch of stuff.’”

Or listen to Junior Johnson, now retired to his cattle farm, tell about gimmicks he never got caught with, and figure out how many were applied to his 50 wins as a driver and 140 more as a car owner. In the aftermath of the Knaus “scandal,” Junior opined that the only legal cars in this year’s Daytona 500 were “the ones runnin’ at the back.”

In March at Bristol, Tenn., an angry Jeff Gordon gave a two-handed shove in the chest to Kenseth, who’d just wrecked him near the end of the race. On a teleconference the next week, Gordon was asked whether he’d “snapped.”

Once, a raging A.J. Foyt drove his stock car all along the pit road at Talladega, Ala., sending NASCAR officials diving over the walls to safety. Foyt was so masterful at car control that he never would have actually hit anyone, but, “Man, I was hot!” he later recalled.

There was hoopla in June over the announcement that Mears next year will become a teammate of Kyle Busch at Hendrick Motorsports. Why, those two are feuding – aren’t they?

That’s “very much” overblown, Kyle Busch says. “I don’t have any ill feelings toward him.”

You want ill feelings? From 1967-71, Bobby Allison and Richard Petty knocked each other all over virtually every track in America. At times they focused more on wrecking each other than on winning. All the way through the 1990s, when both were in retirement, you could tell Petty something Allison had said, and he’d contradict it. And vice versa.

Driving a street vehicle in the ’90s, Petty got a ticket for rear-ending a left-laner on Interstate 85 in North Carolina. Next race, Allison – limping, still feeling the effects of his near-fatal 1988 crash – was walking by the Petty transporter in the garage area. He couldn’t resist.

“Hey, Richard!” Allison yelled. “That guy on I-85 must have looked like me.”

“Naw,” Petty retorted. “He was just actin’ like you.”

Not until 2000 did Petty and Allison reconcile completely. That was when Allison came to console the King at the funeral of Petty’s grandson, Adam, who was killed in a race car.

And so, despite all you may have heard and read, NASCAR has not entered into a new era of feuding, scandals and rage in the 2006 season, which reaches halftime with Sunday’s USG Sheetrock 400 at the Joliet track. NASCAR just has become so squeaky clean that the slightest outburst from one of its polished young drivers is deemed an egregious offense.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

Now that's back in the day when the racin' was great. I'm quite surprised they didn't mention the Allison Bros.-Yarborough 1979 Daytona 500 fight though.

+ Reply to Thread