+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: NFL 2005

FORT Fogey

Could the Saints wind up moving for good?

To all:

With all the unfortunate happenings of Hurricane Katrina (which I've done a few posts on in the thread for Hurricane Katrina in Current Events), which now includes the Superdome's roof deteriorating, I'm wondering if this is the last straw for the Saints, and they may have played their last game in New Orleans.

There had been talk earlier this year of the Saints moving possibly to Los Angeles, and I'm wondering if the Superdome is unusable this year, would the Saints just move to LA immediately on a permanent basis? The NFL can't stop such a move, and it would not be unprecedented (in baseball, the Boston Braves moved to Milwaukee for the 1953 season on extremely short notice and the Seattle Pilots moved to Milwaukee and became the Brewers I believe right before the 1970 season started).

It would be sad if that turned out to be true.

FORT Fogey
    Well:

Now it's looking like the Saints are going to have to at least play their opener in San Antonio or Houston, and given the condition of the Superdome and other problems in New Orleans, they may have to find alternate sites for the entire season.

What happens this year and beyond is a real mystery right now.

FORT Fogey

Superdome will have to be torn down

The Saints have probably played their last game in New Orleans, at least for a long time:

It's been reported that the Superdome in New Orleans will have to be torn down. While it survived the storm, the flooding and everything else apparently make it structurally unsound to continue using it, even if attempts were made to repair the building.

As for this season, you know by now their "home" opener will be at Giants Stadium on September 19, and at the most they will be able to play 3-4 games at Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge. They want to play the others in San Antonio, but the NFL doesn't want to do that fearing poor attendance.

I'm suspecting the Saints will move after this season to either San Antonio (since Saints owner Tom Benson has many business ties to San Antonio as it is) or Los Angeles, where it had been rumored they might be heading earlier this year when negotiations broke down on a new lease at the Superdome (and something the networks would love to see because an LA team would allow the networks to charge advertisers more for ads on game telecasts).

If they do remain in Louisiana, they likely will have to share Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge with LSU for at least 3-4 seasons and maybe more, as it would take at least that long to tear down the Superdome and build its replacement on that site. Obviously, that is trivial right now compared to everything else going on down there, but it still nonetheless is a major issue if New Orleans is going to recover because the Superdome is extremely important to the economy of New Orleans.

NFL 2005

Other than the prediction thread, I didn't see an NFL thread for this year. I just got home a little while ago from the Seahawks game. They played a kick ass second half against the Cardinals. I did see some funny things. I have nothing against grown men and women wearing jerseys to the games. For instance, I laughed at the two guys sitting in front of us wearing jerseys with duct tape across the names of the former Seahawks whose names were on the back. Hell, I proudly wear my Mariners' jersey to baseball games. However, I thought the guy wearing not only a Hasselbeck jersey but also a football helmet with the chinstrap done up and sipping a beer with a straw through the face mask was a bit much. No one over the age of ten who isn't playing should be allowed to wear a helmet.

FORT Fogey
    Three weeks after this thread was started I'm finally responding to it!!!

I slept most of today and only moments ago discovered that my New England Patriots got spanked by my Denver Bronos!!!

It was a win-win situation for me, 'cause I root for both teams.

So in honor of the Broncos and to celebrate their victory today, here's a photo of the neon sign that hangs in my house:

Last edited by Pomeraniac; 10-17-2005 at 01:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner
    However, I thought the guy wearing not only a Hasselbeck jersey but also a football helmet with the chinstrap done up and sipping a beer with a straw through the face mask was a bit much.No one over the age of ten who isn't playing should be allowed to wear a helmet.
    If you have the right kind of helmet setup, it leaves your hands free for the all important high-five of everybody sitting around you.
    FYI, that is not me!

FORT Fogey

Saints to play in San Antonio in 2006, possibly LA after that

Time to update this again:

An ESPN.com article noted that the Saints are likely to play the 2006 season at the Alamodome in San Antonio, and it's very possible that will become their permanent home, or they will move to Los Angeles for the 2007 season. You can see the article by clicking this link.

I'm not surprised at all this is happening, as the Superdome is likely going to need 2-3 years to repair if it's usable again, and if its torn down and replaced, that will likely take 4-5 years minimum.

I'm suspecting the NFL as much as they don't want to do it with New Orleans may be forced to let the current Saints team move to San Antonio or LA, but change the team name (with if in San Antonio my choice being their using the name of the old USFL team there, the Gunslingers), with New Orleans awarded a new team that would take on the Saints name when either the Superdome can be re-opened or when a new facility can be built.

I, for one, would be sad to see them leave New Orleans! I grew up in Louisiana and am a long-time Saints fan! It just seems like they belong there!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Poor me has loved the Bills for as long as I can remember. It is a heartbreaking way to be. My husband, however is from Colorado and loves his dear Broncos. We have been having fun cheering for each others team so far this season (with the more successful cheering obviously going to the Broncos) but the teams will meet in the coming weeks for a game. While I hope the Bills win, I am sure they will not. At least I can be happy for my hubby and support a team that might actually win for once.

FORT Fogey
    Here we go tonight, kids: New England Patriots versus Jacksonville Jaguars.

The Pats are favored, but anything can happen, and I sure hope to heck that the Pats win tonight.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast