+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PGA: Buick Invitational (Feb. 13-16)

PGA: Buick Invitational (Feb. 13-16)

Buick Invitational

Fast Facts

Total Purse: $4,500,000
    Winning Share: $648,000
    Defending Champ: Jose Maria Olazabal (D)

Course Profile

Torrey Pines Municipal Golf Course - South
    La Jolla, CA
    Public, $150/18

This is one of the top-rated golf facilities in the San Diego area. It offers two regulation eighteen hole courses. The designs of these courses are similar to Pebble Beach. The South Course is longer and more difficult, while the North Course is more scenic.

Scorecard Snapshot

Tee Box Slope Rating Yardage
    Gold 122 72.5 5572
    Regular 130 72.6 6705
    Championship 136 74.6 7055
    Red 139 77.3 6457

TV Schedule*

Date Time Channel Program Notes
    Thu 02/13/03 3:00 - 6:00 p.m. USA -
    Fri 02/14/03 3:00 - 6:00 p.m. USA -
    Sat 02/15/03 3:00 - 6:30 p.m. CBS -
    Sun 02/16/03 3:00 - 6:00 p.m. CBS -
    *All times EST and are subject to change. Check local listings.

Els, Duval, Garcia, and Love are all not playing in this tournament.

Tiger is a shoe-in to win then if they aren't playing. Right now I think Els is the only one that can REALLY put the competitive pressure on Tiger. Duval is still just a bit on-off with his game.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

As long as Tiger's not in too much pain, I think he's a lock. I know he hasn't been hitting as many golf balls as he'd like though. That might hurt him.

Leaderboard after Day 1 (weather delay):

1 Aaron Oberholser -6 16
    2 Skip Kendall -5 16
    3 Briny Baird -4 13
    3 Cameron Beckman -4 13
    3 Darren Clarke -4 13
    3 Marco Dawson -4 9
    3 Jonathan Kaye -4 17
    3 Larry Mize -4 10
    3 Dennis Paulson -4 16
    3 Patrick Sheehan -4 12
    38 Tiger Woods -1 9

Tiger's a little rusty.

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- A soupy fog made Tiger Woods wait four hours before he could tee off Thursday in the Buick Invitational.

Then, a mixture of sun, clouds, drizzle and rain caused him to change clothes seven times over nine holes. Worse, he hit only two fairways and muffed two chips by the time the first round was suspended.

This isn't how he envisioned his return to the PGA Tour.

Out of competition for two months because of knee surgery, Woods showed a little rust and a lot of frustration in the two hours he spent on soggy Torrey Pines. He was at 1 under par and will return Friday to play a shot from under a tree in the rough.
    Vijay Singh, who spent more than four hours hitting balls on the range Tuesday, withdrew because of a rib injury.

Mark O'Meara took a 9 on the par-4 fifth hole, was 7 over par through nine holes and withdrew. His father is having surgery Monday in Orlando, Fla.

I've been watching this in the background most of the afternoon. Tiger is getting better as he goes, but having some trouble hitting fairways.

He is -4 for the second round on 15, and now a few shots out of the lead.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

That's much better. I've missed it so far, but will watch some this weekend.

Leaderboard after 2 rounds (yesterday, they finished the first round, and then played an entire second round):

1 Marco Dawson -10 F
    1 Brad Faxon -10 F
    3 Briny Baird -9 F
    3 Fred Funk -9 F
    3 Jonathan Kaye -9 F
    3 Arron Oberholser -9 F
    3 Dennis Paulson -9 F
    8 Steven Alker -8 F
    8 Neal Lancaster -8 F
    8 Bob Tway -8 F
    8 Tiger Woods -8 F

about Tiger:
    Friday turned out to be a great test of his knee, walking 27 holes over the soggy turf of Torrey Pines. Woods felt so good that he decided to play next week at Riviera in the Nissan Open.

When he returned to the course at 7:30 a.m., he told caddie Steve Williams that he would need to get to 6 or 7 under par.

``I happened to do even better, which is a bonus,'' he said. ``I knew if I got to 6- or 7-under I would be right back in the ball game. As you can tell, I'm rusty off the tee. If I can get the ball in play, I feel pretty good about my chances.''
    Meanwhile, Annika Sorenstam has finally decided which tournament she'll join the Men's PGA tournament in. She's decided on the Colonial, in May. She will be the first woman to compete on the PGA tour in 58 years. She chose the Colonial because the course is short, and rewards accuracy over distance. Since she only averages 265 yards off the tee, she would rank 200-something against PGA players in driving distance.

Phil Mickelson said:

``I'm as curious as anybody to see how the best LPGA player of today, and possibly all time, will play against the men,'' Phil Mickelson said.

Mickelson, a past champion at Colonial, predicted Sorenstam would ``definitely'' make the cut and probably finish 20th.

Asked how he would do, Mickelson said, ``I hope 19th or better.''

I hope that Annika plays well, because she is one of the more dominant golfers in her tour's history. She has had seasons that are proportionally even better than what Tiger has accomplished.

However, she averages about 264yrds off the tee (using the new golf balls), and the Colonial course, while not as long as many tour stops, will be the longest course she has faced in a tournament setting. Plus, the PGA green speeds are remarkably high most weeks compared to the LPGA. She will need to be on her game and play almost mistake free to make the cut.

I think Tiger's comments said it best. He hopes she does well, and knows she is a very tough competitor, but if she doesn't then it will not help ladies golf.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Leaderboard after 3 rounds:

1 Tiger Woods -12 F
    2 Brad Faxon -11 F
    3 Phil Mickelson -10 F
    3 Steven Alker -10 F
    5 Fred Couples -9 F
    5 Jonathan Kaye -9 F
    5 Arron Oberholser -9 F
    5 Carl Pettersson -9 F
    5 Briny Baird -9 F
    10 Dennis Paulson -8 F

Tiger and Phil Mickelson will be paired up in today's final round.

Woods is 26-2 on the PGA Tour when he has at least a share of the 54-hole lead. The last player to beat him from behind was -- guess who? -- Mickelson, in the 2000 Tour Championship at East Lake.

Wait -- it gets better.

Only last week, Mickelson stirred up their rivalry even more by saying in a magazine interview that Woods plays ``inferior'' clubs, and that he is the only players good enough to overcome ``the equipment he's stuck with.''

They cleared the air and saw each other briefly on Wednesday. Their next meeting comes Sunday morning on the first tee at Torrey Pines.

``I guess it is ironic,'' Woods said.

Still, both of them have played well at Torrey Pines. Mickelson won in 2000 and 2001; Woods won in 1999 and has never finished worse than fifth.

``If you were to pick two guys to play well on this course, you'd probably pick us,'' Woods said. ``It's going to be exciting.''

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast