+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2005 NFL Season Predictions

FORT Fogey

2005 NFL Season Predictions

Did these elsewhere and I thought I'd share my thoughts on this season as well. Division records appear in parentheses:

NFC East
    Eagles 12-4 (4-2): Still the class of the NFC, though I don't see them going 13-1 again (remember, the last two games were meaningless last year).
    *Giants 9-7 (4-2): They will give the Eagles fits for a time, and especially since they now have an extra home game against the Saints, that could get them a wild card.
    Cowboys 8-8 (2-4): Parcells will do all he can, but I can't see them better than .500
    Redskins 5-11 (2-4): Gibbs probably doesn't have the team to keep pace.

NFC North
    Lions 7-9 (4-2): They could win an absolutely pathethic division, and be the first team in a non-strike season to make the playoffs with a losing record (the Lions, incidentally are one of only two teams ever to make the playoffs with a losing record, as they were 4-5 in the strike-shortened 1982 season).
    Packers 7-9 (3-3): This team is getting old, and I think they may be still reeling from what happened in January. Also, Favre is probably going to be distracted by rebuilding back home.
    Vikings 6-10 (3-3): This team has tanked late in the season and was very lucky to make the playoffs last year.
    Bears 5-11 (2-4): Grossman's injury and Benson's holdout probably killed their season. Only reason they will be a playoff contender is because this division is an absolute joke.

NFC South
    Falcons 11-5 (5-1): As long as Vick stays healthy, they may be headed for another NFC Title Game at Lincoln Financial Field on January 22. They may get the #2 seed over the Rams.
    *Panthers 10-6 (5-1): They likely will be one of the two wild cards after storming back from a 1-7 start to nearly make the playoffs last year.
    Buccaneers 6-10 (2-4): This team has been overrated since they won it all three years ago. Those draft picks they had to give the Raiders to get Gruden now are coming back to haunt them.
    Saints 0-16 (0-6): Especially if they have to play all 16 games on the road, with all the distractions, I see them having the same problems the Dolphins had last year when they had to deal with four hurricanes in addition to Ricky Williams.

NFC West
    Rams 10-6 (5-1): This figures to be a much better team than a year ago.
    Cardinals 8-8 (4-2): They will be improved over last year and could challenge for a wild card spot. Opener with the Giants could actually be huge as they could be battling each other for the second wild card berth. Big negative is one of their home games is actually in Mexico.
    Seahawks 8-8 (3-3): This might be it for Holmgren in Seattle. I see them slipping a bit.
    49ers 0-16 (0-6): They continue to be a mess, and Mike Nolan won't be able to change things overnight. How the mighty have fallen.

Wild Cards:
    Panthers, Giants

AFC East
    Patriots 13-3 (4-2): Still the class of the AFC and we may see a rematch with the Eagles in Super Bowl XL.
    *Jets 12-4 (4-2): They may be the Pats opponent in a divisional playoff game the weekend of January 14-15 or the AFC Title Game January 22.
    Bills 9-7 (3-3): Biggest problem they have is the Jets and Pats are in the same division.
    Dolphins 4-12 (1-5): They won't be as bad as last year, but they have a long, uphill climb.

AFC North
    Steelers 14-2 (5-1): May be a virtual re-run of a year ago where the Steelers get home field all the way through, but the Jets or Pats come in and knock them out.
    *Ravens 11-5 (4-2): They look like one of the wild cards in the AFC.
    Bengals 9-7 (3-3): They may request a transfer to the NFC after this season, as they have an uphill climb.
    Browns 2-14 (0-6): Another team in turmoil that may be in for a long season.

AFC South
    Colts 10-6 (4-2): This is going to be a much tougher division than last year. Everyone may have a winning record.
    Jaguars 9-7 (3-3): They will give the Colts all they can handle this time.
    Titans 9-7 (3-3): Should be better this year after injuries killed them last year.
    Texans 9-7 (2-4): Also should be improved in what should be a tight race all the way.

AFC West
    Broncos 10-6 (4-2): Another division that could be very tough this year.
    Chargers 9-7 (3-3): They probably aren't as good as their record last year would have indicated, but definitely are nowhere near as bad as two years ago, when many players and coaches were dealing with the aftereffects of wildfires the second half of the year.
    Chiefs 8-8 (3-3): They should be better than last year when they decimated by injuries.
    Raiders 6-10 (2-4): Probably are overrated in my opinion.

Wild Cards:
    Jets, Ravens

NFC Wild Card:
    #5 Panthers 42, #4 Lions 20
    #3 Rams 30, #6 Giants 20

AFC Wild Card:
    #5 Jets 30, #4 Colts 20
    #3 Broncos 28, #6 Ravens 24

NFC Divisional:
    #1 Eagles 30, #5 Panthers 24
    #2 Falcons 35, #3 Rams 28

AFC Divisional:
    #5 Jets 31, #1 Steelers 28
    #2 Patriots 40, #3 Broncos 20

NFC Championship:
    #1 Eagles 37, #2 Falcons 24

AFC Championship:
    #1 Patriots 31, #5 Jets 28

Super Bowl XL:
    Patriots 41, Eagles 38

Just my thoughts on the upcoming season.

Wow - you put a lot of work into this

Anyhow - here's my two cents:
    Eagles 12-4 (4-2): Still the class of the NFC, though I don't see them going 13-1 again (remember, the last two games were meaningless last year).
    Giants 9-7 (4-2): They will give the Eagles fits for a time, and especially since they now have an extra home game against the Saints, that could get them a wild card.
    Cowboys 8-8 (2-4): Parcells will do all he can, but I can't see them better than .500
    Redskins 5-11 (2-4): Gibbs probably doesn't have the team to keep pace.
    I agree with you on the Eagles taking this division. I am not confident though that the Giants will end up 9-7. Eli Manning as a starting QB looks good in print but I'm thinking that his elbow injury may come back to haunt him this year. I'd put the Cowboys at 10-6 instead - for some reason "America's Team" is destined for a comeback and this may be their year (Sorry, I just can't stand the Cowboys)

NFC North
    Lions 7-9 (4-2): They could win an absolutely pathethic division, and be the first team in a non-strike season to make the playoffs with a losing record (the Lions, incidentally are one of only two teams ever to make the playoffs with a losing record, as they were 4-5 in the strike-shortened 1982 season).
    Packers 7-9 (3-3): This team is getting old, and I think they may be still reeling from what happened in January. Also, Favre is probably going to be distracted by rebuilding back home.
    Vikings 6-10 (3-3): This team has tanked late in the season and was very lucky to make the playoffs last year.
    Bears 5-11 (2-4): Grossman's injury and Benson's holdout probably killed their season. Only reason they will be a playoff contender is because this division is an absolute joke.
    You weren't kidding when you called this a pathetic division. And as much as I love my Lions, I am hesitant to predict them winning the division. Green Bay is not what it used to be however being as this may be Brett Favre's last year - I sense that may be a motivator in getting them to the top. (Sidenote: I'm attending the season opener at Ford Field and can't wait to see Favre in action ) The Vikings can crash and burn this year for all I care and I am hoping they end up dead last.

NFC South
    Falcons 11-5 (5-1): As long as Vick stays healthy, they may be headed for another NFC Title Game at Lincoln Financial Field on January 22. They may get the #2 seed over the Rams.
    *Panthers 10-6 (5-1): They likely will be one of the two wild cards after storming back from a 1-7 start to nearly make the playoffs last year.
    Buccaneers 6-10 (2-4): This team has been overrated since they won it all three years ago. Those draft picks they had to give the Raiders to get Gruden now are coming back to haunt them.
    Saints 0-16 (0-6): Especially if they have to play all 16 games on the road, with all the distractions, I see them having the same problems the Dolphins had last year when they had to deal with four hurricanes in addition to Ricky Williams.
    The Falcons (and Ron Mexico) will absolutely take this division this year - provided Mr. Vick can make up his mind whether or not he's a QB or WR And while my heart goes out to the Saints, I too think they are going to have a tough year though I wouldn't put them at 0-16. I think they'll end up around 5-11. The Bucs just plain suck lately...I have no idea what the hell has happened to Gruden and his team.

NFC West
    Rams 10-6 (5-1): This figures to be a much better team than a year ago.
    Cardinals 8-8 (4-2): They will be improved over last year and could challenge for a wild card spot. Opener with the Giants could actually be huge as they could be battling each other for the second wild card berth. Big negative is one of their home games is actually in Mexico.
    Seahawks 8-8 (3-3): This might be it for Holmgren in Seattle. I see them slipping a bit.
    49ers 0-16 (0-6): They continue to be a mess, and Mike Nolan won't be able to change things overnight. How the mighty have fallen.
    The Rams DO have a better team this year (and that would be the team that gave my boys an ass whuppin' on MNF) Let's just hope that Martz doesn't make any of his wacky calls or blow his timeouts in crucial games (deja vu anyone?) Holmgren is not the coach he used to be - the Seahawks are not making the playoffs this year. As for the 49ers - there's nothing to say except "Bring back Jerry Rice"

I'm going to end it here - I'm more of an NFC gal Great analysis though...

You all seem to have your NFL teams straight!
    Black Friday!

+ Reply to Thread