+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: US Open 2005

US Open 2005

It's that time of the year tennis fans. The last tennis major of the year is going to be starting in just 5 days. The draws have been announced and they are quite interesting.

Defending US Open champion and world No. 1 Roger Federer of Switzerland and world No. 1 Maria Sharapova of Russia will be seeded No. 1 at the 2005 US Open in men's and women's singles, respectively.

Going into the Open Clijsters and Roddick Won US Open Series. Through this weekend, Roddick, Andre Agassi, and Rafael Nadal hold the top three spots in the US Open Series Bonus Challenge standings; Clijsters, Mary Pierce and Ai Sugiyama lead the women. Roddick and Clijsters will play for double the prize money at the US Open. Should either win the US Open singles title, they would earn $2.2 million (double the $1.1 million US Open winner's purse).

Prize money for the 2005 US Open purse will top $17.7 million, and will potentially exceed $20.6 million -- representing the highest annual purse in sports -- as the top three men's and women's finishers in the US Open Series may earn up to an additional $2.8 million in bonus prize money at the US Open. Both the men's and women's US Open singles champions will earn $1.1 million with the ability to earn up to $2.2 million based on their performances in the US Open Series.

I'm excited for this. I always love watching the majors. I'd love to see Agassi win it as he's about to retire.

I hope this years competition is exciting, it seems there are so many injuries this season, especially on the women's side of the tournament. Can anyone rival Federer, hmmm, not sure. And the possibility of the Williams sisters meeting in the round of 16 again...tha't's nuts. LOL Can't wait.

My darkhorses are Nadal and Pierce.

The time from Wimbledon through the US Open is probably my favorite time of year!

I'm rooting for Andre too Mariner! I love to see the "old" guys kick butt! I'm also really happy that Serena and Venus will potentially meet earlier in this tournament. Those two know each other so well, that there are rarely surprises when they play.

I don't know if anyone can beat Federer at this point. He's like a robot.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Anybody watch today? I guess the big news of the day is that last year's winner, Svetlana Kuznetsova, was eliminated. Venus, Serena, Maria, Kim, Ai, and Daniela all advanced.

On the men's side Gaston Gaudio(9) lost in straight sets. Winners on the men's side included Nadal, Haas, Coria, and Puerta. The young New Yorker, Scoville Jenkins, who lost badly to Andy Roddick last year, one his first major match tonight in a 5 set tie-breaker.

Andre Agassi kicked ass in one hour nine minutes.

Rafael Nadal cracks me up. He looks like he's in the Mr. Universe Pagent:

He was also wearing his trademark capri pants but in black this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner
    I'm excited for this. I always love watching the majors. I'd love to see Agassi win it as he's about to retire.
    On the highlights last night Agassi said he had no definite plans to retire. Because of his age there will continue to be speculation in the press and among his fans until it's official. I think he will hold off until he either feels he can't compete at the highest levels or gets injured and the doctor says "You're done.". I was unaware that he had a second child until last night's interview. Can anyone tell me if it's a girl or another boy and how old they are?

I hope Andre or Andy Roddick wins. I didn't see Davenport mentioned here. Isn't she competing? Especially in the US Open I hope for an American to win. Venus and Serena have impressive records, but I don't enjoy watching there style of play and some of their outfits make me cringe. Where are the fashion police when you really need them?

Nadal rules tennis fashion LOL. Who ever thought capri pants could look so good on a tennis court? haha
    "How do you feel about marriage and commitment?" - Britney Spears
    "I feel that...I feel that love is love...love has...I don't believe in marriage. I believe you can get married." - Kevin Federline

Huh? I think I just got stupider...
    Please do your part to help the victims of Hurricane Katrina: DONATE!

Roddick is out!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast