+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: US Open 2005

Oh gosh darn it. Federer won. I was hoping that Agassi would end with a bang! But it didn't happen.

Federer's unbeatable now, isn't he?

I'm sorry Andre lost, but it was great up until the last set. Some of the comments I especially enjoyed were...

Agassi said about Sampras (during his heyday) "I knew that I could go out and play my best tennis and he could still beat me."

Mary about Agassi and Federer (before the match) "Agassi and about $23,000 fans are about to take on the #1 seed, Federer."

I bowed to the needs of my grandkids and missed the women's final, but Kim did just fine without me. In the end my petty self couldn't cheer for Mary after all.

The Agassi vs. Federer was really a spectacle to watch. Midway through I really wished Agassi could pull of the win, but Federer won and I'm still ecstatic!

As for Sharapova, thank goodness! I'm sorry and I know I'm in the minority here but I despise her; My friend in down in New York is a highschool senior tennis player and he works as a trainer for some childrens' camps and he's had the "displeasure" meeting Sharapova two times. Supposedly she's a complete arse, and I wouldn't be surprised. I just see diva/b*tch written all over her.
    "How do you feel about marriage and commitment?" - Britney Spears
    "I feel that...I feel that love is love...love has...I don't believe in marriage. I believe you can get married." - Kevin Federline

Huh? I think I just got stupider...
    Please do your part to help the victims of Hurricane Katrina: DONATE!

Well poo! I was so hoping for a miracle for Agassi! I didn't even get to watch - I was studying at the library and trying to monitor the score on my phone. Whoever posts the scores for Yahoo! Sports needs some help because the last time I checked, the score posted was Federer 6-2, 7-6, 6-3, 0-6... like Federer had won, but then they said "What the heck, let's play a fourth set!"

I'm glad that Andre was able to take a set from him but I wish he'd been able to take three!

I'm so glad Lisa Raymond (and Sam Stosur) took the women's doubles championship. Raymond has really paid her dues in the game. Plus, I just like it when the "old" folks win!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by dberk
    Mary about Agassi and Federer (before the match) "Agassi and about $23,000 fans are about to take on the #1 seed, Federer."
    Heh... that's cute, dberk. The comment was definitely appropriate as well. Those fans really threw Federer off of his game.

roguish... I've always gotten that feeling from Sharapova, too. I've seen her in interviews and she just has this "holier than thou" attitude that is just so unattractive.

Critical... I'm sorry you missed the match. This is definitely a case where seeing the scoreboard really doesn't tell the story. This match was all Agassi, even in the first set where the chips just kind of fell Federer's way despite him (Federer) not playing "his" game. And that third set was all Andre until the tiebreaker. Andre had such a tough time with his service game that the tiebreaker was a 7-1 blowout and Andre seemed to just concede defeat in the 4th set. He really had nothing left when it was over. It was sad.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I was looking at the WTA & ATP website, and it is amazing how much the majors can help or hinder your rankings. On the men's side Robby Ginepri jumped 25 spots from 46 to 21. James Blake jumped 15 spots from 49 to 34. Tim Henman dropped back 16 spots from 12 to 28. On the women's side Mary Pierce jumped from 12 to 6 while Svetlana Kuznetsova fell from 5 to 12.

I liked the comments about players wanting to hate Federer, but they can't because he's too nice.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678