+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: US Open 2005

It's not looking good for Andre right now. Blake took the first set 6-3 and now he's up 4-1 in the second. If Andre was ahead, I'd probably be bummed for Blake instead!

So sad to see that match slip away from Lindsay the way it did. She just was not playing like herself tonight. Now that Davenport is out, I'm hoping we get a Clijsters-Pierce final.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

For the Blake and Agassi match, there is always a tendercy to root for the one that is losing...So I'm definitely pulling for Agassi now because out of all the quarter-finalists left, I see him as the only one who even stand a chance against Federer...

Bummed out that Davenport got eliminated....Real shocker though, since I have never held Dementieva in high regard....My ideal final would be Sharapova VS Dementieva though....Don't really enjoy watching Pierce play...Its like she is never putting her all into these games but maybe its just me
    Well, I was thinking when he said, "king of the jungle," I was, like, "Well, during the first challenge you would still be lost in the jungle if Jim and I hadn't, like, led you out. - Brooke Struck on Judd

Love is like the wind...You can't see it, but you can feel it

Agassi won! Agassi won!
    That was an INCREDIBLE match! When he was down two sets and not looking so great in the third, I thought sure the match was over.
    Yay for the old guys!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

That was the match of the tournament. Whatever comes next, I doubt anything will come near to it.

For me, there was no loser tonight.

I just had to post this because it makes me smile:

ITA Florimel - I don't see how any of the matches to follow could top this one

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki_Brandon
    For the Blake and Agassi match, there is always a tendercy to root for the one that is losing...So I'm definitely pulling for Agassi now because out of all the quarter-finalists left, I see him as the only one who even stand a chance against Federer...
    I went into the match wanting Agassi to win for that very reason: I didn't think Blake would have a chance against Federer. But as the match went on, my heart just went out to Blake and at the end I felt kind of heartbroken at Agassi's win. It was just a weird feeling.. I was thrilled that he won, but not thrilled. Just... odd.

That was not only the best match of the tournament, but the best solid match I've seen in a long, long time. Just incredible. (And now I feel like sleeping here at work. I was too wound up to get to bed until around 2, and I had to get up at 4:30. Heh)
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Impressive performance by both players. It was the rare match that lived up to it's billing.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

FORT Fogey
    It doesnt matter because if Federer gets by Nalbandian, he'll win this tournament easily. I love Andre but I was really pulling for Blake. But that was a helluva match.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    I went into the match wanting Agassi to win for that very reason: I didn't think Blake would have a chance against Federer. But as the match went on, my heart just went out to Blake and at the end I felt kind of heartbroken at Agassi's win. It was just a weird feeling.. I was thrilled that he won, but not thrilled. Just... odd.
    I was unexpectantly torn as well. When Blake blew Agassi away in the first 2 sets, I started to think that maybe Agassi didn't have the "gas" to make it through the final. Andre seemed so frustrated and out of answers. During the 3rd set Blake clearly started feeling the pressure of the moment and tightened up. By the end Andre showed how important experience and the mental game are here. What a show!

I couldn't watch the Davenport match. It was too painful. I could certainly understand if Lynsay wanted to retire. Being physically able to play at the highest levels isn't enough, if your heart isn't in it.

Federer got through his match with Nalbandian like a hot knife through butter - 6-2, 6-4, 6-1 (ouch!).

Andre just has to beat Ginepri - another young American - to get to Federer. I think Federer is clearly the better player overall, but that might not matter if Andre is "on."

I was less sad for Blake (than I would have been for Agassi) because for him, this is the best he's ever done. He's young and on the way up. Agassi has won this tournament and he's going to be on his way down sooner rather than later. Who knows how many more slams he'll play. Maybe I'm also rooting for Andre because he's old like me!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast