+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: US Open 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel
    I realize that most people are not very interested in doubles, but I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Martina Navratilova.
    I love watching doubles, they just hardly ever show it. The only time you see it in the Grand Slams is if there's nothing else going on OR there's a rain delay and nothing else to show (then you get matches from previous days). I was watching Martina this morning - she is awesome! I thought Jummy Connors at the Open at 39 was amazing, but Martina just blows that away. She was still playing singles ten years ago too. I'd love to see her take one more Grand Slam.

Other news today: Mary Pierce beat Amelia Mauresmo and is on to the semis! Statistically, this could be her year: she won the Australian in 1995 and the French in 2000.... time to win another Slam! This also means that we'll get more shots of Mary's brother, David.

The women's semis look like this: Clijsters vs. Sharapova and Pierce vs. either Davenport or Dementieva. I don't know who to root for - I like them all... I do want Lindsay to beat Dementieva, but as far as the semis They're all great players and have class. I'm leaning towards anyone but Sharapova, not because I don't think she's a good player, but because she's young and will have plenty of time. The other ladies (even though Clijsters is, what? 23) have paid their dues more.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel
    I realize that most people are not very interested in doubles, but I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Martina Navratilova.

I also can't wait for the Agassi-Blake match tonight.
    I think it's great that Martina is still a top player. I watched the last set of her match. While it's more fun to play doubles, I don't enjoy watching it as much as singles.

I know it's petty but I was never a fan of Mary Pierce because of the whole American playing for the French scenario. She also seemed so sullen. Today I enjoyed watching her play. She's like a completely different person at 30. The only mean thing I can say about her now is that she has an old face and that's not her fault. If a registered American doesn't win, I hope she does.

I like the new rule that fans can keep the "foul" balls.

Regarding the Agassi/Blake match I am cheering for them both. It's a win/win for me.

I was very happy to see Martina playing doubles and playing well. I don't think it's ever a bad thing to have legends like her on the tour and actually playing their hardest and showing that maybe you aren't dead after the age of 30.
    Wtg Mary Pierce, this girl can beat any other player, it's like that football saying, any given sunday, if this girl "shows up" then she has a chance.

I am torn on the Blake Agassi match, I love them both and hope the match lives up to the expectation.

Quote Originally Posted by dberk
    I know it's petty but I was never a fan of Mary Pierce because of the whole American playing for the French scenario. She also seemed so sullen. Today I enjoyed watching her play. She's like a completely different person at 30. The only mean thing I can say about her now is that she has an old face and that's not her fault. If a registered American doesn't win, I hope she does.
    Part of the reason she started playing for France is that the USTA wasn't giving her much support. Remember all the attention Capriati got back when she and Pierce were young teenagers? Lots of interviews, sponsorships, those Oil of Olay commercials.... it all stemmed from the high profile she was given by the USTA/WTA. Other players, including Mary Pierce, didn't get the same treatment. Tennis careers aren't usually very long, so I can't blame her for going to France, where she would have more opportunities. It's the same thing in show biz too - there are lots of talented young actors, but only a select few get lots of attention - and it rarely has to do with talent. Ginepri is playing a great Open, just like Blake, but who's getting the attention?

With all the crap Mary was going through with her father back then, I was surprised she could even play. All those rumors of him screaming at her and "assaulting" her (more like grabbing her arm roughly - not hitting her, as far as I know) and then getting banned from events... and she had to deal with it all in the public eye. I've got nothing but respect for her and how she's come through all of that.

I guess I'm not as pro-American about the Open as you are, dBerk. I don't care, as long as the person who plays the best match wins. I hate seeing someone just get mauled - I like to see a nice even match and I don't usually care who wins. Tennis is such an international sport - I like that. That being said, I really hope Ginepri beats Coria today. Coria is such a little weasel - anyone who talks smack about Agassi has problems.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Yeah, Coria is like that. I heard he spit on Hewitt during a match as well. And although I am not a Hewitt fan, that sort of etiquette is not right for the sport. I am all for the big personalities, such as Nadal, but not punk or bullies.

Quote Originally Posted by Namaste
    Yeah, Coria is like that. I heard he spit on Hewitt during a match as well. And although I am not a Hewitt fan, that sort of etiquette is not right for the sport. I am all for the big personalities, such as Nadal, but not punk or bullies.
    You know it's bad when Hewitt looks like the better sportsman!

I think there's a difference between being confident and being arrogant. Some players just haven't learned the distinction.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    - I like to see a nice even match and I don't usually care who wins. Tennis is such an international sport - I like that. That being said, I really hope Ginepri beats Coria today. Coria is such a little weasel - anyone who talks smack about Agassi has problems.
    I, like dberk, was never a fan of Mary Pierce. A great deal of it stemmed from her "defecting" (of sorts) to France, but more of it was just due to her standoffish personality. She never seemed to have fun on the court and she was a lackluster player. Not much to become a fan of. But she's gone through a big change, even within this current season. I've managed to watch her last two matches and I'm impressed. Good for her! (And, dberk... I think she looks like Paris Hilton's Tinkerbell. )

Ginepri just won a hell of a match. Damn, when he lost the 4th set I thought he was done... and then when he lost FOUR freaking Match Points I lost any remaining fingernails that I had. I'm glad he has two days to rest... two tough five-set matches in a row has him spent.

I never paid much attention to Coria.. had just always heard that he was a prima donna and the guys didn't like him. Then I watched part of his match with Massu on Monday and learned why no one has any respect for him. Massu was dealing with leg cramping and Coria started making mocking motions at his end of the court. Completely unprofessional.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Dementieva, a finalist last year at the Open, won the first set againest Davenport which is quite the shocker. What's even more shocking is that she hasn't had a double fault yet. Davenport is up 2-0 in the second set.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    I, like dberk, was never a fan of Mary Pierce. A great deal of it stemmed from her "defecting" (of sorts) to France, but more of it was just due to her standoffish personality. She never seemed to have fun on the court and she was a lackluster player. Not much to become a fan of. But she's gone through a big change, even within this current season. I've managed to watch her last two matches and I'm impressed. Good for her! (And, dberk... I think she looks like Paris Hilton's Tinkerbell. )
    I guess I always considered Mary Pierce to be almost a hostage back then. Imagine that your abusive coach is also your father, you're a minor and in the public eye. I'm sure he had a lot to do with her playing for France. If I'm not mistaken she has dual citizenship - I think her mother is French. Anyway, I've always rooted for her because I had so much sympathy for all the crap she had to go through.

Great match between Ginepri and Coria (who behaved himself more today than yesterday!). There were some really great points - I can't believe how fast Coria's little legs can go!

It's not looking so good for Lindsay right now

Dementieva just beat Davenport after Davenport had match point on her serve at 6-5. Dementieva won the next two points for match point on her serve and she won it.

For having such a horrible second serve, she must have some great mental toughness.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast