+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: US Open 2005

Quote Originally Posted by AIWANNABE
    Is anybody watch the Pierce v. Henin match? I really hope Pierce can pull this one out.

And a big to James Blake for winning!
    I'm watching, AI. I am SO not a Pierce fan, but I have to admit she is kicking butt tonight. Henin-Hardenne hasn't been in this match at all.

What a fun day of tennis. Critical, did you catch Blake's match today???
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by AIWANNABE
    Is anybody watch the Pierce v. Henin match? I really hope Pierce can pull this one out.
    I'm watching! Mary took the first set and is up 4-2 in the second. It looks like she just might do it! *quickly knocks wood*
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Pierce plays such a strong game. She hits right through the ball and hits it hard each time. It just seems like everything on for her right now. She has had zero double faults compared to Justine's 9.

ETA: Make that 10 doubles for Henin, and double match point for Mary!

ETA2: Mary won!
    Last edited by AIWANNABE; 09-05-2005 at 09:19 PM.

I'm posting this before something happens and this match goes south:

Clijsters is up on Venus - they split the first two sets and now Kim is up a break at 2-1 in the third. I'd love to see Clijsters finally break through and win a major!

ETA: Now it's 3-1 Clijsters in the third. Go Kim!!!

ETA2: Clijsters won! Sad for Venus, because she just seemed to collapse in that last set.
    Last edited by Critical; 09-07-2005 at 12:34 AM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    Venus is on to the next round. The first set was pretty good but the second was fairly one-sided. Is it just me or does anyone else wonder if the winner of their matches is predetermined? I hate to be all paranoid, but after that one interview with their dad a few years back (where he alluded to the fact that maybe one of the girls won because it was her turn), I do think about it.
    Venus never seems to go "all out" when she plays Serena. I think she has a misguided need to protect her little sister from life's disappointments. This year, even though it WAS Venus' "turn to win" she clearly took it easy on her, since Serena wasn't even close to top form. The Fashion Police need to have an Internal Investigation for falling down on the job. Venus' hideous fairy princess dress should have been savaged by this authority. Serena looked great except the short top revealed how out of shape she is.

I am big on an American winning the US Open (so sue me) and Blake's success as well as Agassi's is terrific. I was disappointed about Andy dropping out early, but his car and American Express (Mojo) commercials are hysterically funny.

Of the non-Americans I enjoy watching Hewitt play the most.

Venus Williams after losing to Clijsters:
    "I was playing decent and she started playing really bad and it totally threw me off," Williams said. "She was playing weird. Next thing I knew I was playing as bad as she was. She started hitting these weird shots, short balls. ... I guess maybe it was a good strategy. It just threw me off."
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050907/...su/ten_us_open

Maybe her father should have taught her how to lose with some class. Does she ever admit that the other player just plain played great and beat her fair and square? I love the rationale that she lost because her opponent was playing really bad.

ITA about the wardrobe choices, dberk. Maybe they should pay more attention to their game and less to what they're wearing.

Love Andy's Mojo commercials: "Retribution does not hit the snooze button!"

Maybe her father should have taught her how to lose with some class. Does she ever admit that the other player just plain played great and beat her fair and square? I love the rationale that she lost because her opponent was playing really bad.

ITA about the wardrobe choices, dberk. Maybe they should pay more attention to their game and less to what they're wearing.

Love Andy's Mojo commercials: "Retribution does not hit the snooze button!"
    I don't think many people associate the word class with the Williams family. Her poor loser comments are typical. The sisters seem more interested in being famous than earning fame. I always wanted to play the piano well, but hated to practice and take lessons. Needless to say I suck at it. Even without the injury excuses they always seemed to view tennis as a hobby rather than a career.

"Retribution does not hit the snooze bar!" would make a good sig line here. I wonder if anyone is using it.

Quote Originally Posted by dberk
    I don't think many people associate the word class with the Williams family. Her poor loser comments are typical. The sisters seem more interested in being famous than earning fame. I always wanted to play the piano well, but hated to practice and take lessons. Needless to say I suck at it. Even without the injury excuses they always seemed to view tennis as a hobby rather than a career.

"Retribution does not hit the snooze bar!" would make a good sig line here. I wonder if anyone is using it.
    Yeah, I'm so over all the discussion of what the sisters are wearing. Who cares? How are they playing? As if their wardrobe will overshadow the fact that they aren't working hard enough.

It would make a good sig line... Now that I read it though, I think it's redemption, not retribution. My bad.

Agassi vs. Blake is going to be great tonight! I can't decide who I want to win that one. I'd love to see an "old guy" make one more run at the title but it'd be fun to see Blake win and sort of have the mantle passed to him from Agassi. Either way, I think it'll be a great match.

I realize that most people are not very interested in doubles, but I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Martina Navratilova.

She just made it into the women's doubles semi-finals. She lost in the mixed doubles quarter-finals, but that was due to her partner's double fault. It is her 27th U.S. Open and she'll be 49 next month. I think she's amazing.

I also can't wait for the Agassi-Blake match tonight. I wish only that it were happening later than the quarters. I don't really know whom to root for. Agassi has the heart and dedication of a champion and Blake has earned his way there after overcoming unbelievable adversity.

Finally, I agree with the above comments about the Williams sisters. I haven't really ever liked them, especially their refusal to acknowledge the good play of those who beat them.

Does she ever admit that the other player just plain played great and beat her fair and square?
    The funny thing is, I have been noticing this with a lot of the players. Each time a player wins or loses it is because they were playing bad or good. The act like the way their opponent was playing had no effect on them.

I am so happy Mary won, and am quite surprised!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast