+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: US Open 2005

I can't believe Blake did it! I only got to see the first set and had to leave when it was @ 4/4 in the second set. I was thinking I'd come home and find that Blake had choked. This is so cool! Now if Andre can win his match I'll be doubly happy!

I was just reading the article about his win on Yahoo! and I guess I hadn't realized what a difficult time he's had this year: his father died, he fractured his neck, and he had such a severe case of shingles that he actually had some paralysis in his face as well as vision and hearing problems. It's nice to see something good happen to him after all that bad stuff. For the full article: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050903/...su/ten_us_open
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    Now if Andre can win his match I'll be doubly happy!
    If Andre wins tonight, and both Blake and Andre win their matches after that, they will play each other in the quarters. That will be a great match. However Agassi lost the first set, but is up 3-0 in the second set. Other great matches this round are:

Maria Sharapova v. Sania Mirza

Though this match should go to Sharapova, Mirza has been fighting hard. She has made it the farthest in the US Open for someone from India. She is huge over in India where she needs body guards wherever she goes.

Venus Williams v. Serena Williams

Need I say more? It is the first time they have met since I believe 2003 where Serena won. I would love to see Venus take this.

Justine Henin-Hardenne v. (Either Jelena Jankovic or Mary Pierce)

I would love to see Justine againest Mary. It will be a rematch from the French Open finals. I would hope Mary could win this one and Justine hasn't been looking too strong.

Elena Dementieva v. Patty Schnyder

Both strong players. It should be a great match.

Lleyton Hewitt v. Taylor Dent

Dent is a strong player but is never really able to progress that far in the majors.

Tommy Haas v. Robby Ginepri

Both aren't the best of players but both are very strong. Should be a strong match.

Andre did win. Now, he just finished giving an incredibly classy and gracious interview about James Blake. It's so cool to see what a great adult the former teen tennis star has become.

Here are some other results from tonight:

Elena Likhovtseva (19) beat Anastasia Myskina (13) after dropping the first set 0-6. Likhovtseva won it in a third set tiebreaker.

Patty Schnyder (11) beat Shinobu Asagoe (24)

Mary Pierce (12) beat Jelena Jankovic (17) after Jankovic retired in the second set.

Nathalie Dechy (15) beat Tatiana Golovin (23) in three sets.

Tommy Robredo (19) beat Sebastien Grosjean in four sets.

Davenport and Coria also advanced.

Currently Haas and Ginepri are playing. They split sets and now are at 4-4 in the third. It looked like somebody in the audience got punched, did anybody catch it?

Starting tomorrow at 11:30 AM EST:

1. Men's Singles - 3rd Rnd.
    Lleyton Hewitt (AUS)[3]
    vs. Taylor Dent (USA)[25]

Not Before 2:00 PM
    2. Women's Singles - 4th Rnd.
    Maria Sharapova (RUS)[1]
    vs. Sania Mirza (IND)

Not Before 3:45 PM
    3. Women's Singles - 4th Rnd.
    Venus Williams (USA)[10]
    vs. Serena Williams (USA)[8]

Darn it, Nadal lost. It's all good, Blake kicks butt too hehe. Now the Williams sisters match will be a great one to watch; Venus better take it this time!
    "How do you feel about marriage and commitment?" - Britney Spears
    "I feel that...I feel that love is love...love has...I don't believe in marriage. I believe you can get married." - Kevin Federline

Huh? I think I just got stupider...
    Please do your part to help the victims of Hurricane Katrina: DONATE!

The Williams sisters match just started. Serena is playing better from the start. Hopefully it won't be one sided like alot of their matches tend to be.

Venus is on to the next round. The first set was pretty good but the second was fairly one-sided. Is it just me or does anyone else wonder if the winner of their matches is predetermined? I hate to be all paranoid, but after that one interview with their dad a few years back (where he alluded to the fact that maybe one of the girls won because it was her turn), I do think about it.

Taylor Dent lost in five to Hewitt I like Hewitt, but I was hoping this would be the year that Dent would finally make a breakthrough.

Tonight is Federer vs. the latest victim. I don't see how anyone can beat him now. He is just SO much better than everyone else on the tour.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Federer wants this bad, and I want it bad for him too LOL He deserves a triple slam! He rocks my socks haha

Here's a quote from an article I was reading earlier today...

Quote Originally Posted by Yahoo Sports News
    ``You just have to sit back and say `too good' sometimes -- hope he gets bored or something,'' Roddick said. ``I have loads of a respect for him, as a person as well. I've told him before, `I'd love to hate you, but you're really nice.'''
    Darn right Roddick; He's too good, period.
    "How do you feel about marriage and commitment?" - Britney Spears
    "I feel that...I feel that love is love...love has...I don't believe in marriage. I believe you can get married." - Kevin Federline

Huh? I think I just got stupider...
    Please do your part to help the victims of Hurricane Katrina: DONATE!

I liked the quote from Roddick that I read somewhere about how good Federer is: he's so good that Andy played the match of his life against Federer.... and lost in 3 sets!

I think he's probably too good too r0guish That being said, who wouldv'e thought Nadal would get knocked out so early? True, he's not in the same league with Federer, but still.

Andre is still in it. Yay for the old guys!

Is anybody watch the Pierce v. Henin match? I really hope Pierce can pull this one out.

And a big to James Blake for winning!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast