+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: English Premier League Football 2005/2006 season

English Premier League Football 2005/2006 season

Thought I'd start a thread on the best football league in the world! ( My other half calls it that anyway ) Sorry to all you N.Americans but it's FOOTBALL not SOCCER!

Chelsea are favourites to win again. Abramovich has certainly bought his way to success with the club. At the annual Charity Shield match last week they had 90 million worth of players on the subs bench!
    To be honest I'm not the greatest fan in the world, but it's mighty hard to escape the sport!
    BUT good looking men in shorts!
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

Ugh!!! As much as I hate Chelsea and their millions, I can't help but accept the fact that they're the favorites this season

Arsenal are my favorites to win and despite their lost to Chelsea earlier this week, they still do stand a good chance
    Well, I was thinking when he said, "king of the jungle," I was, like, "Well, during the first challenge you would still be lost in the jungle if Jim and I hadn't, like, led you out. - Brooke Struck on Judd

Love is like the wind...You can't see it, but you can feel it

FORT Fan
    Even SOME of us Americans KNOW and refer to "soccer" as football.

My first love a great pair of legs... em.. I mean... football and then hockey. And I'm beyond excited that The English Premier League has started. We don't get those games here UNLESS we pay extra to our cable company... which I most certainly do and its money well spent.

Chelsea and Manchaster United are my absolute favorite with Liverpool coming in third place.

Heres hoping for another winning season for Chelsea and maybe shorter shorts... !!

Liverpool third, sweetdreams?
    Actually after all the lean years us Scousers have had with our team we'd probably settle for third in the premier at the end of the seaosn
    Doesn't sound so bad.

It is the best league in the world, BFG, no question

I hate to think of Chelsea buying their way to the title, but anything is better than boring boring Arsenal winning imo.

FORT Fan
    Third isn't so bad..... they say its a charm...

I agree about Arsenal... I'll see your boring boring... and raise you 2 borings and a super duper YAWN!

Last year Arsenal and Manchaster came here. It was sold out before the game was announced. I was so pissed I couldn't go.

*struts around in her Chelsea jersey*

Arsenal are by far the most entertaining team in England because of their fluent passing game and creative play. All Chelsea does is send long balls up to their strikers which hasnt really worked for them this season...only narrowing beating Wigan, a promoted club 1-0 in injury time. Even that win against Arsenal was marred with controversy...Argh...But even so, Arsenal's time could well be up
    Well, I was thinking when he said, "king of the jungle," I was, like, "Well, during the first challenge you would still be lost in the jungle if Jim and I hadn't, like, led you out. - Brooke Struck on Judd

Love is like the wind...You can't see it, but you can feel it

In our house the UNBELIEVABLE has happened. It's called cricket and England seem to have a decent team for the first time in living memory! Their even in with a chance of winning the Ashes back from Australia! Cricket is the game of the moment here, even my other half forgot about the football scores as he was so involved in the latest match against the Aussies.

Anyway, looks like Michael Owen is on his way back to England but for which team, nobody knows!

Gosh I love Micheal Owen

Of course being British.....I must way in that my favourite team EVER and that will never change is Man United.

One of my brothers is a Newcastle Fan and one is a Liverpool fan

So we don't often watch games together.

I wish I could see more football games on TV over here, but I will have to start rooting around the Spanish channels.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

The English Premier League may be the best in the world but not their team. Northern Ireland beat them 1-0 in Belfast last night!

Northern Ireland have last laugh

By Lyle Jackson

At Windsor Park

Over an hour after the final whistle, there were still some Northern Ireland fans at Windsor Park, understandably unwilling to let go of the moment.

Northern Ireland fans will rejoice long and hard after a stunning win

The moment their boys in green stunned one of world football's superpowers with one of the most amazing results ever achieved in World Cup qualifiers.

Just two years ago the province were the laughing stock of European football, going 13 games without a goal.

But on Wednesday night players from Peterborough, Plymouth, Motherwell and Southampton reserves pulled off the result of their lives.

Lawrie Sanchez, the man whose reputation has been built on upsets, had done it again.

It was going to be a fantastic occasion, no matter the result.

Seeing the English team in Belfast for the first time since 1987 sparked an almighty clamour for precious tickets to a venue which holds just 14,000.

This will do wonders for football in the province and the much-criticised Irish FA

But the Northern Ireland fans played a blinder, a fact sportingly acknowledged by David Beckham.

The fear for the locals was that their boys would take a right tanking.

But, as the game wore on, and the English goals did not come, the belief grew that Northern Ireland could get away with an unlikely draw.

"Are you Scotland in disguise?" went the scoffing song as England struggled.

Then David Healy blasted that 74th-minute goal past Paul Robinson and the ground simply erupted. Windsor Park had not seen the like of this for decades.

Now the seemingly impossible was there before our eyes.

Could this really be happening? Could a team, deprived of key players like George McCartney, Jeff Whitley and Phil Mulryne, be capable of this?

Could the province, 116th in the Fifa rankings, humble the mighty England?

Sanchez masterminded yet another shock victory

Howls went up when four minutes of stoppage-time was signalled, but the final whistle eventually sounded and the impossible dream was realised.

Drizzle was now falling on the old-fashioned south Belfast ground but nothing was going to dampen the unbridled joy which had erupted among the Northern Ireland fans.

They are born optimists, despite disappointment after disappointment.

The players who beat hosts Spain in the 1982 World Cup are legends. Now Sanchez's men can enjoy similar status.

This will do wonders for football in Northern Ireland and the much-criticised Irish FA.

They will seek to capitalise on this, and rightly so, in an effort to get more people to come to matches regularly, not just when England are in town.

And what must Aaron Hughes be thinking? He went 17 games as skipper without tasting a single victory - then two come along at once.

No matter what he or any of his team-mates do, nothing will beat this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ls/4224742.stm

Well, not exactly the best start to the league for anyone other than a Chelsea fan! One of the online bookies is already paying out on Chelsea winning the league and the last match isn't until April/May!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast