+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 74748495051525354555657

Thread: Hockey Returns: 2005

Geez, Chicago certainly did well yesterday in a 3-way trade between Chicago, Ottawa, and San Jose.

Ottawa to Chicago: Martin Havlat, Bryan Smolinski
    Chicago to San Jose: Mark Bell
    To Ottawa from San Jose and Chicago: Tom Preissing, Josh Hennessy, and Michal Barinka with a 2nd rounder in 2008.

I suppose Ottawa could be trying to sign a natural left winger like Sergei Samsonov...Shanahan isn't on the market anymore, he signed with the Rangers.

I was shocked that the Sens got rid of Havs, but I guess it wa sstill to be expected seeing he's worth big bucks. I hope the trade works out for all of them, seems as though the Sens got some good stuff, I just don't really know them well enough to judge yet.

VERY VERY VERY VERY Happy about today! The habs finally got into the mix, and they made quite a splash!

First by trading Richard Zednik to the Caps for a nice 3rd rounder next year, then acquiring Mike Johnson from Phoenix for a 4th rounder.

Johnson stands 6-2, 200 pounds but isn't physical, but he's very reliable defensively and quietly put up a nice 54 points in Phoenix, so there's no drop-off in offence.

Zednik had requested a trade, anyway.

The Habs also signed Sergei Samsonov. Good news for Koivu's production.

Only questionable thing was signing David Aebischer for 1 year worth 1.9 million...backups don't usually get that kind of money, do they?

At first I was shocked that Sutter was stepping down as head coach of the Flames, but then, after thinking about it, I think it's really not for the worst. He will still be GM and the assistant coach will become head coach. And if Tim really does a bad job, i'm sure Sutter would be there to help out.

Was kind of hoping it would have been Brent Sutter becoming the new head coach, but that can still happen in a few years!

I know I'm late, but we're not happy losing George Laraques. He was the soul man of the team. His community work and gracious demeanor to any and all fans, anywhere, anytime is unsurpassed. He signed autographs, took photos, for more than 10 hours at his farewell. A lot of the Oilers won't even stop to sign a child's piece of paper. Laraques jersey sold more than any other player on the Oiler's team in the last year.

He may not have been the best player on the team, but certainly stood out for what had been a gold standard of likeability and approachability.

We will miss his face around town.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

More on the Rich Tocchet Hockey Scandal

Former Trooper Pleads Guilty in Gambling Case With Links to NHL
    --------------------------------------------

MOUNT HOLLY, N.J. (AP) - A former New Jersey state trooper pleaded guilty Thursday to helping run a gambling ring and promised to help authorities with their case against former hockey star Rick Tocchet and others.

A former New Jersey state trooper pleaded guilty to helping run a gambling ring and promised to help authorities with their case against former hockey star Rick Tocchet and others.

In a negotiated deal, 40-year-old James Harney pleaded guilty to conspiracy, promoting gambling and official misconduct. He faces up to seven years in prison at his sentencing Oct. 27.

He had initially faced more than 25 years in prison.

The plea comes nearly six months after New Jersey authorities charged him, Tocchet and a third man, James Ulmer, with running a ring whose alleged bettors included a handful of current NHL players and actress Janet Jones, the wife of hockey great Wayne Gretzky.

Authorities have said they did not expect to charge any of the bettors with crimes, and NHL officials, who have launched their own probe, say there were no bets on hockey games.

Still, the connection to the professional hockey league made the gambling bust a major sports story earlier this year.

After Tocchet was charged, he took an indefinite leave of absence from his job as the top assistant coach of the Phoenix Coyotes, who are led by Gretzky.

Kevin Marino, a lawyer for Tocchet, said there are reasons to not believe Harney's claims.

"He is not a concerned citizen acting out of a sense of civic duty. Rather, the former trooper is an interested party who has implicated Rick Tocchet as part of a bargain with the prosecution," Marino said in a statement.

Edwin Jacobs, a lawyer for Ulmer, did not immediately return a call Thursday seeking comment.

Gretzky has denied any wrongdoing. His lawyer, Ron Fujikawa, said after the story came to light that he had received assurances from New Jersey authorities that the hockey great was not in any way a central figure in the criminal investigation.

No grand jury has been convened to consider the cases of the other defendants.

Harney and Tocchet became friendly in the 1990s when Tocchet played for the Philadelphia Flyers and Harney tended bar near the arena where the team played.

Harney was suspended from the state police after he was charged in February. In a letter Wednesday, he resigned, apologizing for "the disgrace which I have placed upon the Division, myself and my family."

State officials said that as part of the agreement Harney forfeited his right to work in a public position.

He also will forfeit some $700,000 US in money and property, including the New Jersey home where he lives and his equity in the home where his ex-wife and children live.

Police have said they took 32 watches and nine televisions from his home.

After the hearing, Harney did not comment. But his lawyer said he had been truthful and he hoped the other defendants would be too.

"My client is humbled," lawyer Craig Mitnick said.

http://channels.aol.ca/sports/articl...04085909990001
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread