+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 57 FirstFirst ... 363738394041424344454647484950515253545556 ... LastLast

Thread: Hockey Returns: 2005

EDMONTON OILERS - WESTERN CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS !!!

Woo Hoo!! Another incredible game! The third period alone was exhausting. With a 2-1 lead the Oil had to run out several penalties, including a six-on-three! Incredible defence playing. Phenomenal GOALTENDING!! They take the series in 5 games.

Now our players finally get a week to rest up from the flu and jet lag. And we can stock up on beer! Head coach Craig MacTavish had gotten our 8-place team into the finals; the first time in 16 years for the Oilers and the first time for a Canadian Team in more than 10! (since Montreal)

And another American mayor will be wearing orange and blue and raising our flag high at Anaheim's City Hall .

And the fans do not disappoint here at home.... thousands flooding the "Blue Mile" to celebrate. The riot police on standby, but no major problems yet tonight (thank goodness!) Our police force (many who have volunteered after regular shifts for these late game celebrations) is doing a fabulous job! We've also had officers in from surrounding cities to help alleviate the fatigue from demand. As there's no extra budget money for patrolling large sport after-parties like this.

THE PARTY CONTINUES..... SEE YOU AT THE STANLEY CUP FINALS !
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    ..... into the finals; the first time in 16 years for the Oilers and the first time for a Canadian Team in more than 10! (since Montreal) .....
    Into the finals or won the finals?
    Vancouver was in the finals in '94 and I'm sure you haven't forgotten Calgary in the finals in 2004.

Go Edmonton! Bring the Cup back to Canada!

I am sure she means an 8th place Canadian team

I saw pictures of Whyte Ave last night and boy it would have been wild to be there!!! (as long as they got re-stocked on beer of course )

We are coming down next weekend, let me know if I should bring my own

WTG Oil!!

I think she means won the cup.
    Neither the Canadiens of '93 nor the Oilers of '90 were 8th place teams in their conference.
    One more series to go.

Well it took me a bit but I figured out that she means (I think ) since a Canadian team WON the cup.

I'm thinkin' I should be leaving the at home

Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Speak View Post
    ...I'm sure you haven't forgotten Calgary in the finals in 2004.
    The Calgary who? The Flames that flickered right out Here's a photo of the Red Mile lately.
    Attachment 17414
    We've converted a Duck into an Oiler Fan, and
    Attachment 17415
    Our pooches love them too!
    Attachment 17416

And I think I meant since a Canadian Team won the CUP. It was late. I was . I was tired. Sorry folks.
    Today we're all recovering and I did what everyone else in the City did: mow the lawn! Yup! Between the playoffs, series finalies, and the cold and rainy weather, it's started to grow a foot high and seeding. Today, all you could hear was the continual roar of lawn mowers. All day long.

Time for another snooze.
    Last edited by misskitty; 06-20-2006 at 06:33 AM.

I have to post that I am totally embarrassed by the lack of responsibility of some Oiler fans after having seen the coverage of the celebrations on our Blue Mile (Whyte Ave). Those fans are a total disgrace to the real hockey fans of our City. It only take a few rotten apples to turn a fun celebration into what could have been a tragic event. What with kids hanging from transit wires over the roads, knocking down architectural lampposts, breaking windows and bottles and setting fires

The riot police were there and didn't intervene after a point. They did contain the violence though. Apparently, there they have had a psychologist with them after every game and it was decided that any further strong action that evening would have caused harm and possible injury to innocent bystanders and violence would have escalated further. Now that we have a week to prepare, win or lose, it will be a different scene there altogether. They were prepared for 20,000 fans. Just not those who quickly escalated the fun into a nightmare.

The RCMP have offered some assistance if required, and police presence will be increased with possible water cannons, etc. if required. The Oiler hockey team has expressed publicly that responsible fans are what is wanted and appreciated. Nothing less than that. However, I do feel that these "types" of fans do not understand what responsible behavior actually is.

There has been suggestions that they close the Avenue down altogether, but that is not the solution, as the crowd will disperse from bars and assemble somewhere else like downtown's Jasper Avenue. Where, years ago, a fan suffered permanent brain injury when hit by a rubber bullet by the riot squad.

We want to remember these playoffs with happy memories and not be reminded of the violent and outrageous fans who mar it with their stupidity.

FORT Fan
    LET'S GO HURRICANE'S, LET'S GOOOOO!

3rd period... 1-0 Carolina is losing. *holding breath*

For All You Oiler Fans......

Let us pray.
    In the name of the Pronger, the Pisani, the Horcoff and Smyth.
    Our Oilers, Who art in Edmonton,
    Hallowed be thy Team,
    Thy Ducks they did come,
    Thy deed be done,
    In Anaheim as twas in Detroit.
    Give us this win,
    Shutout by Roloson,
    And forgive us our neutral ice turnovers,
    As we punish those who turnover against us,
    And lead us not unto the links,
    As we've led those who played before us.
    MacTavish (Amen)

Quote Originally Posted by QuinntheEskimo View Post
    if a tree fell in a forest, but no one was around to hear it- did it actually make a sound??

yeah- same thing with hockey playoffs this year- gotta believe with the 4 sub markets remaining this has to be the lowest rated post season ever- not good at all for hockey following a strike season!!
    If people aren't watching because there aren't any "big market" teams left, they're missing some of the best hockey I've seen in ages!

How can you not love an 8th seed not only knocking off the giants, but going all the way to the cup finals?

And two teams in the East who weren't given a snowball's chance of even making the playoffs putting on an incredible show, with the series not decided until the final buzzer of the 7th game?

I'm loving the new NHL after the lock-out. My biggest hope is that all the also-rans will take notice and we'll see less trap and crap and more skill and skating next season.

+ Reply to Thread