+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast

Thread: Hockey Returns: 2005

They had a little thing on the Detroit news last night...the sportcaster was p'od that Detroit wasn't playing Toronto, Montreal or Boston at all....I didn't even realize that when I looked at the Habs schedule.
    They must have changed that too....did they change the divisions or something...like when the playoffs come doesn't that just mean that it could be Detroit vs Boston for the cup, rather than knock each other off before they get there??
    ---------------------
    opps....

wwhippetcrazy, go here.
    October 5th will be a busy opening night when for the first time in NHL history, all 30 teams will be in action to start the season.

The NHL released the 2005-06 schedule on Wednesday, and the new rivalry-based schedule will see division rivals play eight times this season.

Divisional play represents 32 of each club's 82 games this season. Each club also will play four games against each of the 10 non-division clubs in its conference (40 games), plus 10 inter-conference games -- five at home against all the clubs in a designated division and five on the road against all the clubs in a different designated division.

For inter-conference play in 2005-06, Northeast Division clubs will host the Pacific Division and visit the Northwest; Atlantic Division clubs will host the Northwest and visit the Central, and Southeast Division clubs will host the Central and visit the Pacific.

Divisional assignments will rotate annually.

Thanks Pineapple!!

I just got a survey from the NHL...wanting to know fans opinions. They bascially just asked about the different changes and what you thought of them. As well as if you planned on watching live and televised games more or less, if you lost interest, that kind of thing. It only took about 15 minutes to do. Guess they are really wanting to feel out how the stoppage effected the minds and habits of fans.

On another note....Bob Goodenow has stepped down....here's a link Goodenow
    ---------------------
    opps....

need a lipgloss boost.. beezwax177's Avatar
    Hey guys...I just thought I would share this. I opened up the Free Press this morning and this was in it: http://www.freep.com/sports/redwings...e_20050728.htm

Very classy, I thought.
    I see the dream and I see the nightmare, and I believe you can't have the dream without the nightmare. - Tori Amos

Quote Originally Posted by lasvegasfan
    I think we can safely do without all the teams in the south. It might not be a bad idea to move teams around. Why Carolina and Nashville have teams is odd.
    It's not so much where the teams are, as how well they do. Not so much if they win all the time, but if the games are competitive to the point where you know they have a legitimate chance of beating any team in the league.

If the teams in Carolina and Nashville compete a play entertaining hockey, they will fill their arenas guaranteed. It's the same in any city. Look at Tampa Bay during their Stanley Cup run. It's not like Montreal and those guys who come out for hockey no matter how well or poorly their teams do. With the price of tickets these days, people want entertainment bang for their buck. Not necessarily always a win, but always entertaining hockey.

If this salary cap helps all team compete on an even playing field, and hockey returns to more of a skill game than a brute force game, it'll be great, and I'll be forking over some cash for a few live games...as much as I can afford

Quote Originally Posted by JR.
    Nose bleed seats are awful, I wouldn't take them for free. The whole point of going to a game is to feel like you're part of it, with those seats, you might as well be in a different city.
    They should lower all seats, and not just a few dollars either, if they really want to do something for the fans.
    Actually, there is an advantage to the nosebleeds other than cheap tickets. You really do get more of a feel for the strategy of the game than you do close up. That said, I'll take the close up any day, if I could afford it. I used to be able to get really good seats in the lower bowl for reasonable when they had the promotions like buy one get half price or whatever it was from Subway. Now it's pay through the nose or sit in the nosebleeds. \

They're not lowering prices either despite the salary cap. Five dollars less? Forget it.

The Draft

So are they not televising the draft? I'm really bummed, I was looking forward to watching it, but I can't find it listed anywhere.

Some big signings and a big trade so far...

Chris Pronger was traded to the Oilers for Eric Brewer, Doug Lynch, and Jeff Woywitka (sp?). I think Oilers GM Kevin Lowe did a good job with this trade.

Columbus has signed veteran defenseman Adam Foote, which will greatly improve Columbus' defense.

Philadelphia has been the most busy team, signing Derian Hatcher, Mike Rathje, Chris Therian, and fellow Nova Scotian, Jon Sim. Having 8 quality defensemen, the Flyers quickly traded Daniil Markov to Nashville for a 3rd round draft pick. It was a fair deal, IMO, since the 2006 draft is deep and Nashville needs a defensive defenseman to help out Kimmo Timonen.

The Rangers signed Martin Straka, and surely there's no doubt Straka will be paired with Jaromir Jagr. The Rangers also re-signed Kevin Weekes, who will likely return as the # 1 goalie. A much-needed addition to the blueline is Marek Malik.

The Panthers have been busy, as well, signing veterans Gary Roberts and Joe Niewendyk. The Panthers needed these guys, seeing as the Panthers are terrible at face-offs at Niewendyk is top of the NHL at draws, and Gary Roberts adds some toughness to a kinda soft Panthers line-up. The Panthers also signed Martin Gelinas.

The LA Kings signed Pavol Demitra. This could pay off big for the Kings if Demitra scores 40 goals like he is expected to every year. Another signing by the Kings is goalie Jason Labarbera.

Boston has added some depth with Brad Isbister and Dave Scatchard and Shawn McEachern, and the Bruins managed to re-sign Glen Murray, which might help the Bruins chances with Joe Thornton.

Atlanta Thrashers signed Bobby Holik, which might allow Atlanta to create two top lines with Ilya Kovalchuk and Bobby Holik and Dany Heatley and Marc Savard.

The Wings have re-signed Yzerman to a one-year deal, which likely means after this season, Yzerman will retire.

The 'Hawks have a lot of rebuilding to do, and started off by signing Adrian Aucoin and he'll see a lot of ice time in Chicago this season.

The 'Canes are in trouble in terms of scoring, and hope Cory Stillman can help out. My guess is...he won't. No way is Stillman getting 80 points again away from Tampa.

The Isles helped fill in Adrian Aucoin's and Roman Hamrlik's spot by signing Alexei Zhitnik.

The last big signing that I know of is Tony Amonte and Darren McCarty by the Calgary Flames. I have a feeling Amonte will disappoint again. McCarty fits in with the Flames and their chippy style of play.

There are reports that Mike Modano will re-sign with Dallas and Markus Naslund will re-sign with Vancouver.

All other signings are pretty minor, and this post is long enough...I think...

Finally, Montreal getting into the free agent market (besides the re-signing of Francis Boullion). Alex Kovalev has been re-signed.

The Penguins just seem to be getting better with the signing of "offenceman" Sergei Gonchar. Gonchar's not a bad signing at all, it's just Pittsburgh needs defensive defencemen, IMO.

It's official, Naslund is back with the Canucks. I'm guessing Forsberg will not be going wherever Naslund goes...

I haven't heard about Modano yet, but Dallas did sign Czech defenseman Martin Skoula.

The Flames re-signed Jarome Iginla. I thought he already had a contract.
    Anyway, he's getting 7 million per year for 3 years. Probably one of few 7 million players in the new NHL.

More signings and news...

Mike Modano has rejected an offer from the Stars. It was a 5-year deal that would earn him 17.5 million.

Brian Leetch signed with Boston, taking over as the # 1 defenseman.

Montreal made a minor addition to their defense/wing depth by signing Mathieu Dandenault.

Columbus added more to their defense by signing Bryan Berard, last season's Bill Masterton Trophy winner (uh...I think).

Another Flame who I thought had a contract, Jordan Leopold has re-signed with the Flames.

Vancouver traded Brent Sopel to the Islanders for a conditional draft pick next year.

The Czech Republic rejected the IIHF-NHL transfer agreement, along with Russia.

+ Reply to Thread