+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 57 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Hockey Returns: 2005

The Preds lost their fairst game last night. I t was excitng too because they had tied the game with 19 seconds left but them lost in OT. Wow....

I live in Columbus and my nephew from Nashville called me trash talking before the game. He didn't call back after the game. I wonder why?

i'm not a huge hockey fan myself (more of a baseball girl) but one of my friends is obsessed and said that dish just dropped oln, which i think it the only channel showing nhl. anyone know more about that?

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

Man..the Canadiens lost a good game yesterday. Theo played so well, he deserved a win. The Sens have a great team this year.

All these penalty calls are driving me nuts. It has an even advamtage I guess. The soprt is no longer if the best team wins, but the luckiest. It's starnge, I'm not used to this yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby
    i'm not a huge hockey fan myself (more of a baseball girl) but one of my friends is obsessed and said that dish just dropped oln, which i think it the only channel showing nhl. anyone know more about that?
    i'm not sure if this is the same "dish company", but i guess apparantly OLN wasn't living up to the requirements for airing NHL games

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2199274

Updated: Oct. 20, 2005, 11:55 PM ET
    EchoStar pulls OLN after failing to show NHL gamesAssociated Press

DENVER -- The owner of The Dish Network said Thursday it pulled the Outdoor Life Network from its system after the cable channel failed to provide NHL games to the nation's second-largest satellite television provider.

EchoStar Communications Corp. spokesman Marc Lumpkin said the network did not show games on Oct. 10-11 and on Monday and Tuesday as advertised. "We were not given advance notice that they would not show the programming," he said.

Although best known for broadcasting the Tour de France and cyclist Lance Armstrong, OLN this fall took over broadcasting National Hockey League games on cable from ESPN.

The contract dispute between EchoStar and OLN revolves around OLN's placement in a higher-priced channel package by Dish Network, which is distributed to fewer viewers.

OLN, owned by cable giant Comcast Corp., set a requirement that the channel must be seen by 40 percent of a cable or satellite TV system's viewers in order for it to broadcast the NHL games. It said the Dish Network has failed to meet that requirement.

"Hockey is a major sport that deserves to be seen as other major sports are on a broadly distributed tier," OLN spokeswoman Amy Phillips said.

Lumpkin declined to comment on the specifics of the dispute.

EchoStar would have to move the channel from its top package to a lower-cost package that may have fewer channels but more viewers.

That would raise the fees Dish Network viewers pay.

"We work hard to provide choice for customers and to keep prices low," Eric Sahl, an EchoStar senior vice president, said in a statement. "Most of our customers have made the decision they do not want to pay the additional cost of watching the channel."

EchoStar hasn't been afraid to take on networks before. In March 2004, it pulled Viacom Inc. programming -- including MTV, the Comedy Channel and Nickelodeon -- from the Dish Network for two days until an agreement was struck on a long-term contract.

Based in suburban Englewood, Colo., EchoStar's Dish Network has about 11.4 million customers.

yeah, that's the whole thing i was talking about. i'm not sure who's at fault but i hope they figure something out soon. do you think people with Dish Network will switch to something else? It'll be intresting to see if this affects anything.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    I cant take these 8-6, 7-6 games anymore... every time there is some semblance of defense being played- there is a penalty call shortly thereafter. i've watched 3 Flyer's games this week, and they have given up at least 10 power play opportunities in each of those games. It seems that 2/3 of the game are being played with a man advantage. Hopefully, the refs ease up a little bit.

Will we see a return of Scott Stevens? The Devils haven't named a captain, and Stevens' retirement papers aren't in.

Personally I'd rather see penalties and goals as opposed to the old clutching and grabbing game of the past. I like that my team can come back at any given time and that with 2 refs almost nothing goes unnoticed. I'm not arguing the fact that there are some pretty questionable calls being made because I will admit there are. I think the refs have no choice but to crack the whip so that the players realize they may as well start adhering to the rules now because it very well may cost them a game. Also keep in mind that there were goalie equipment changes and that the whole reason for many of the rule changes was to increase scoring and make it a more exciting game for the fans.

Out of curiosity I went to NHL.com and took a look at the stats for the Flyer's (I do have an interest I as have Desjardins on my fantasy team ) so here are some of the stats.

Totals for the year:

They are 5 - 3 - 1 (2nd in Atlantic Division)
    39 GF & 34 GA
    9 games and 142 PIM = 16.2 min/game (11th best in league)
    PP - 18.3% (14th) 71 PP & 13 goals
    PK - 74.6% (29th) 63 Penalties, 16 GA & 4 SH goals

Basically they are nowhere near the penalties Atlanta has taken lol but when they do go in the box they're special teams can't seem to get the puck out of their end.

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    the Flyers are built for the playoffs- a big tough team that likes to circulate the puck... these rules changes do them absolutely no favors. however- i'm pretty confident over the long haul of the post season that the refs cant keep this pace up. who cares what happens in the regular season- just get in the top 8 and then lets rumble.

i will note the ONLY thing i like about the rule changes is that NO lead is safe- i dont think i've ever seen so many 2 goal leads squandered so quickly. in the past if you were down by 2 going into the 3rd you might as well quit watching.

and- i know i am slightly biased and it is early in the season- but Simon Gagne looks unstoppable this year (MVP?)... it seems that he gets quality scoring chances on every shift!

+ Reply to Thread