+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 57 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Hockey Returns: 2005

Hello all hockey fans! It's great to be back!

I'm also iffy on the new rules but do like the shootouts! I was at the Lightning game last night and must admit, except for the losing part, it was very exciting! Go Bolts!

I'm no so keen on all the penalties, it's great that more are being called but bad because there isn't much hitting going on. I think they went too extreme with that but well see how it plays out during the season.

I have to say I like the rule changes. The game has opened up so much and it is so much more exciting. I used to switch back and forth on commercials just to check the score but now I find myself not wanting to miss a play. I think the changes make for a more skilled game, as others have mentioned theres no more shuffling the puck between your feet against the boards for what seems like eons, there's more chances of comebacks and if you lose position on a player and pull him down you're in the box. That's the way it should be. I like the trapezoid thingy behind the net, the delay of game penalty for deliberately putting the puck in the stands and the icing rule change. All in all a very good move by the NHL to get back disgruntled fans like me and make the best game on earth even better

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    I have the NHL package and have probably seen 20 games already this season- imo- the refs are calling the penalties a bit too tight.

as obvious from the flyers blowing a 5-1 lead tonight- no lead is safe with the rule changes... it creates more flow- but at the expense that every game now feels like an all-star type game- absolutely no defense! Any type of aggresive defense is going to put your team at risk of a penalty. Which doesnt bode well for the Flyers and their 6'5" Defensemen...

Livvy-
    "I was at the Lightning game last night and must admit, except for the losing part, it was very exciting! Go Bolts!"

Wait until mid season when the Lightning take their rightful place in the basement of the worst division in Hockey- we'll see how exciting the Ice Palace is when all the fair weather fans are over at Ybors getting liquored up.

Anyone catch the Leafs game. wow! what a physically brutal game. no wonder the leafs spent most of the third with a man advantage

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel
    Anyone catch the Leafs game. wow! what a physically brutal game. no wonder the leafs spent most of the third with a man advantage
    I watched the highlights...

As much as I hate Darcy Tucker, I gotta say that Sutton was terrible. He threw Tucker's head into the boards. Ouch.

And Eric Boulton tackling the ref...not a good way to represent your hometown!

And you know it's a physical game when Jason Allison gets in a fight.

By the way...anyone have an opinion on Sean Avery? Georges Laraque said that he was called "a monkey" (a racial slur, or so Laraque says) by Avery. Seeing as it's Avery, I wouldn't be surprised...

I was pretty happy when I saw Kirk Maltby nail Avery in the face in the Kings vs. Detroit game.

Just a little update: Andy Sutton has been suspended for 4 games.

**Opening a Can of Worms**

Can't remember who it was but an Oiler got a puck in face near the end of the 3rd. Blood everywhere, Im sure it will take a few stitches to close him up, with that as well as Sundin's injury just wondering what you all think about the use of visors...... I know the Kings had a unanimous vote saying they shouldn't be mandatory but IMO I dont see the big deal especially with the kids coming up from the CHL etc where they are mandatory. I do think it should a choice made by the player however I guess I dont understand why so many lose the visor when they sign their NHL contract.

Quote Originally Posted by imajunkie2
    **Opening a Can of Worms**

Can't remember who it was but an Oiler got a puck in face near the end of the 3rd. Blood everywhere, Im sure it will take a few stitches to close him up, with that as well as Sundin's injury just wondering what you all think about the use of visors...... I know the Kings had a unanimous vote saying they shouldn't be mandatory but IMO I dont see the big deal especially with the kids coming up from the CHL etc where they are mandatory. I do think it should a choice made by the player however I guess I dont understand why so many lose the visor when they sign their NHL contract.
    That was Raffi Torres.

I think players should get the choice, but I don't know why they'd drop them coming out of junior or Europe. Visibility is a factor, but it can't be that bad, can it?

Can't believe I forgot to add this earlier!

Brett Hull has retired! It was surprising, but he said that his 41 year old body just wasn't up to it.

Hull had only 1 assist in 5 games this season.
    Last edited by Rusicade; 10-16-2005 at 07:31 AM.

Never been a fan of Hull's, so although I should say something nice about the guy, I won't. I'm glad he's gone, I dislike him that much.

I respect that there are many players that are very against a mandatory visor rule being implemented, but I have no idea why you'd risk an eye like that. Since it is mandatory in junior, I hope that more players in the future keep wearing them. Eye injuries are scary, scary stuff. After what happened to Bryan Berard a few years ago, I was surprised Sundin isn't wearing one. I know he tried for a bit, but still.

And Rusi, I love Corner Gas too.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

+ Reply to Thread