+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: London to host 2012 Olympics

Leo
    Premium Member

London to host 2012 Olympics

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/front_page/4655555.stm

London beats Paris to 2012 Games

The 2012 Olympic Games will be held in London, the International Olympic Committee has announced.

London won a two-way fight with Paris by 54 votes to 50 at the IOC meeting in Singapore, after bids from Moscow, New York and Madrid were eliminated.

Paris had been favourites throughout the campaign but London's hopes were raised after an impressive presentation by Lord Coe, the bid chairman.

Prime Minister Tony Blair called the win "a momentous day" for Britain.

IOC president Jacques Rogge made the dramatic announcement at 1249 BST.

It will be the first time the Olympics has been held in Britain since 1948.

Coe said: "This is just the most fantastic opportunity to do everything we ever dreamed of in British sport."

After the announcement, it emerged London were ahead in every round of voting except the second round when Madrid polled the most votes.

News of London's victory delighted flag-waving supporters who had gathered in Trafalgar Square.

But raindrops began falling on disappointed Parisians outside the Hotel de Ville in the French capital shortly after the result.

Mr Blair had helped London's late momentum with a whistlestop 48-hour visit to Singapore, before flying back for the G8 summit in Scotland.

Breaking off from the meeting of world leaders, he said of London: "Many reckon it is the greatest capital city in the world and the Olympics will help keep it that way."

Rogge had correctly forecast a cliffhanger vote, and offered his congratulations to the winners.

"We knew the two bids were very, very close. Well done, London. It will be a superb Games and will strengthen the Olympics," he said.

An hour after the decision, London's bid leaders were greeted by warm applause as they signed the official contract to stage the Games.

This is how the decision was made by the IOC in Singapore on Wednesday:

* All five bidding cities gave final 45-minute presentations to the IOC members before the vote began.

* The electronic ballot started at 1126 BST. Moscow, New York and Madrid were eliminated from the race in the first, second and third rounds of voting.

* The final round of voting finished at about 1145 BST, with the committee reconvening at 1230 BST for the official announcement.

* IOC president Jacques Rogge revealed the winner after a nerve-wracking wait at 1249 BST.

Wednesday's decision brings to an end the 18-month race to win the host contract for the 2012 Games.

And it was the most keenly-fought bidding contest in recent years.

Paris was considered the front-runner for much of the campaign, and was highly rated in the initial evaluation and also by the inspectors after their visits earlier in the year.

But it was widely recognised that bid leader Lord Coe, a high-profile personality within the IOC and other governing bodies, hauled London closer to the French capital as the vote approached.

Madrid was seen as a consistent but not outstanding candidate, while New York's bid was dogged by problems over their proposed stadium, and Moscow was always seen as the rank outsider.

Once attention moved to Singapore, the bidding cities called on political and sporting heavyweights to champion their causes.

And the spotlight inevitably focused on Paris and London in the days leading up to the vote.

The two cities had President Chirac and Prime Minister Blair respectively in their corners.

Mr Chirac actually took part in the French capital's final presentation on Wednesday, while Mr Blair opted to lobby alongside the London bid team in Singapore before flying back to Britain to host the G8 summit.

London also called on England captain David Beckham and a galaxy of Olympic and Paralympic medallists as ambassadors, while footballers Laurent Blanc and Zinedine Zidane were among those backing the Paris bid.

Great news! I can't believe they haven't hosted the Olympics in over 50 years!
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

From what I've read on different websites, this is a rather stinging defeat for the Paris contingent. They were seen as the front-runners all along, especially after having lost the two previous times they bid (1992 and 2008). Then, to lose a third time...and to London on top of that...The IOC has already indicated that if any of the losing cities were to bid again for the 2016 Games, they would be given "strong consideration", so it will be interesting to see if Paris decides to bid again right away or takes some time to recuperate before trying again...
    Last edited by lobeck; 07-06-2005 at 09:54 AM.

From the CNN website:

Voting results for the 2012 Olympics

Bid with fewest votes in each round was eliminated

Round 1:
    London 22
    Paris 21
    Madrid 20
    New York 19
    Moscow 15

Round 2:
    London 27
    Paris 25
    Madrid 32
    New York 16

Round 3:
    London 39
    Paris 33
    Madrid 31

Round 4:
    London 54
    Paris 50
    It's interesting to me to note that Paris, the supposed front-runner, never led in any round of voting. I mean, hell, even Madrid led in Round 2 but didn't have enough votes to be declared the winner...
    Last edited by lobeck; 07-06-2005 at 10:01 AM.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    I saw a report on CNN that Olympic host cities often end up in debt. I wonder if the temporary world exposure is worth it? Do Olympic cities remain tourist attractions, years later? Obviously the top five cities this year all have other tourist attractions going for them, but will the stadiums and facilities be used again.

I sometimes think it would be better for the IOC to hold the Olympics near their headquarters every two years (winter and summer games). That way cities don't have to spend so much money campaigning and undertaking new construction. It could also avoid boycotts from countries not wanting to send athletes to certain areas. JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by lobeck

It's interesting to me to note that Paris, the supposed front-runner, never led in any round of voting. I mean, hell, even Madrid led in Round 2 but didn't have enough votes to be declared the winner...
    It does make you wonder who decided they were the front runner

Gratz to London!
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

I'm thrilled

Quote Originally Posted by rt1ky
    I saw a report on CNN that Olympic host cities often end up in debt. I wonder if the temporary world exposure is worth it? Do Olympic cities remain tourist attractions, years later? Obviously the top five cities this year all have other tourist attractions going for them, but will the stadiums and facilities be used again.
    Some cities have gone far overboard with their spending on Olympic venues. Others adapted the Peter Ueberroth model of refurbishing existing facilites and gaining corporate sponsorship (resulted in the LA Olympics making a $200 Million profit, not even counting the tourist dollars). Atlanta reportedly did well too.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

CCL
    Montreal had the Olympics in 1976 and they are still in debt over them!

* Note to self *: Avoid London in summer, 2012. Man, London is usually crammed in summer anyways, with all the tourists in the city. Add on the Olympics...it'll be crazy!

By the way, I like the ads generating support for London's Olymic bid:

There are a few more pics you can see by clicking the link
    Last edited by CCL; 07-06-2005 at 01:54 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I wanted NYC to win it, maybe in 2018 we will get it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast