+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lakers Bring Back Phil Jackson

Lakers Bring Back Phil Jackson

LOS ANGELES - Phil Jackson is returning to the Los Angeles Lakers following a reconciliation with the team that cut him loose last year after three NBA championships in five seasons. Spokesman John Black said Tuesday the team has rehired Jackson, who was let go by owner Jerry Buss last June 18.

A news conference was set for 5 p.m. EDT at Staples Center.

Jackson, who turns 60 in September, has had health issues in the past and underwent an angioplasty two years ago. He told ABC-TV before the opening game of the NBA Finals that he underwent a series of tests to make sure he was healthy.

Jackson agreed to a three-year contract. Terms were not announced, but itís believed heíll be earning between $7 million and $10 million per year, which would make him the highest-paid NBA coach ever.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8160992/

I'm not surprised by this. If Phil has any interest in Jeannie Buss, he takes this job, marries her and ends up eventually owning the Lakers (along with Jeannie). He could do a lot worse.

And yes, the team is not very good, but Kobe is still one of the best in the league. There are always rumors that the Lakers are going to try to get Yao Ming away from Houston. If they can do that, then they're a contender again.

It will be interesting to see how he coaches a team that isn't loaded.

I am not sure what they could deal to Houston to get Yao.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    It will be interesting to see how he coaches a team that isn't loaded.

I am not sure what they could deal to Houston to get Yao.
    I'm too lazy to look this up, but I think Yao is a free agent after next season.

Yeah, but the way the NBA works, he would get quite a bit more money staying in Houston than he would signing anywhere else.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.

Quote Originally Posted by Chach
    There are always rumors that the Lakers are going to try to get Yao Ming away from Houston. If they can do that, then they're a contender again.
    That would be great but I think that's wishful thinking. Yao has little to gain by joining the Lakers.

I agree with Bill, it'll be interesting to see how Phil Jackson goes about coaching a team with so little.

Quote Originally Posted by Chach
    I'm too lazy to look this up, but I think Yao is a free agent after next season.
    He will be restricted FA in 2006, which means he's stuck in Houston because they're going to match whatever offers he receives. Landing Yao would be difficult simply because LA has nothing that Houston badly enough for them forfeit a big man especially since they have Tmac.

Yao most likely won't choose to relocate either.

Phil will help the team slightly. I don't expect him to resurrect the Lakers with the current roster, but Kupchak needs to make some moves this offseason. I mean Mihm as your center in the west? And hopefully Lamar comes back healthy, but he is great trade bait.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Cwebb
    He will be restricted FA in 2006, which means he's stuck in Houston because they're going to match whatever offers he receives. Landing Yao would be difficult simply because LA has nothing that Houston badly enough for them forfeit a big man especially since they have Tmac.

Yao most likely won't choose to relocate either.

Phil will help the team slightly. I don't expect him to resurrect the Lakers with the current roster, but Kupchak needs to make some moves this offseason. I mean Mihm as your center in the west? And hopefully Lamar comes back healthy, but he is great trade bait.
    If that's the case, then it isn't going to happen. I was hearing those rumors so much that I thought it must mean Yao's going to be an unrestricted FA sometime soon. Yeah, the Lakers don't have much to trade except Kobe and Odom, and I doubt they'd trade Kobe, so that leaves Lamar. Butler is good, but I don't see teams giving up much to get him. I had Clippers season tickets for a couple years when I lived in LA (Lakers tix were too hard to get and too expensive) and watched Odom a lot. He's one of my favorite players - a very talented guy - but I just don't see it working with him and Kobe playing together. He's at his best as a point-forward, and Kobe is basically a point-shooting guard. So I guess my point is that I think they will trade Odom and everyone will benefit from it. Not sure that will help them get a decent big man, though.

As you note, Kobe for Yao does nothing to help, but I would think Odom is potentially valuable trade commodity. Not for Yao, but for something. However, the reports I have read say that Jackson likes Odom, so we shall see.

I think the Lakers are in the same boat as the Yankees. The day of reckoning has arrived, and it is best not to dig the hole further through trades chasing past prime big contracts.

don't think anyone in Houston cares for Kobe

also don't think Houston would trade Yao, and even more trade to competitor in the same conference

Kobe is an LA boy anyways he would probably go to the clippers before moving outa Los Angeles

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast