+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PGA: AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am (Feb. 6-9)

PGA: AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am (Feb. 6-9)

AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am

Fast Facts

Total Purse: $5,000,000
    Winning Share: $720,000
    Defending Champ: Matt Gogel (D)

Course Profile

Pebble Beach Golf Links
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Resort, $350/18

Pebble Beach Golf Links is the best-known course on the West Coast and perhaps in the U.S. A GOLF MAGAZINE "Gold Medal Resort," it boasts small greens and narrow fairways bordered by deep rough.

Scorecard Snapshot

Tee Box Slope Rating Yardage
    Forward 130 71.9 5197
    Red 130 71.9 5198
    White 134 72.1 6116
    Gold 137 72.3 6348
    Middle 139 72.7 6357
    Blue 142 73.8 6719
    Back 144 75 6799

TV Schedule*

Date Time Channel Program Notes
    Thu 02/06/03 3:00 - 6:00 p.m. USA -
    Fri 02/07/03 3:00 - 6:00 p.m. USA -
    Sat 02/08/03 3:00 - 6:00 p.m. CBS -
    Sun 02/09/03 3:00 - 6:00 p.m. CBS -
    *Times subject to change. Check local listings.

This should be an interesting tournament. Els and Woods will both be out of it, making it anyone's game. Els is taking the week off in Bali, to return next week in the Johnnie Walker Classic, in Perth AUS.

This is always a fun tournament, at least when Bill Murray is on the course.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

I always like Ray Romano. That one day he was on the beach a couple years ago, and the wave came up and moved his ball about 20 feet was hilarious.

Last year, Kevin James was also very funny.

Is this the one where they pair up with a celebrity? Cause Mike Weir is pairing up with Wayne Gretzky.

Yep, a pro and an amateur (not necessarily a celebrity, but usually) paired up.

Have you seen the new Gretzky golf commercial?

"I'd love to be a professional golfer. If it weren't for my shoulder. And my knees. And my wrists. And my ankles."

(I'm paraphrasing, but he goes down through a long list of injuries)

I love this article about Gretzksy & Weir:

Gretzky still remembers prank he played on Mike Weir during charity event

PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. (AP) - Wayne Gretzky is playing with Mike Weir in the Pebble Beach National Pro-Am this week, and the Great One might need reminding that they're on the same team.
    In other words, no pranks like the one he pulled two years ago on Weir, who won the Bob Hope Classic over the weekend. Gretzky, Brett Hull and Joe Sakic played their best ball against Weir at an annual charity event two years ago in Baddeck, N.S. Weir was tired from his flight, and went to bed early the night before the tournament.

"I called the front desk and told them I was Mike Weir's doctor," Gretzky said. "I said Mike had hit his head and suffered a concussion, and that we're worried about him falling into a deep sleep. I asked if they could they ring his room every hour."

He said Weir showed up the next morning groggy and irritated.

Gretzky & Co. cruised to a six-stroke victory.

And the celebrity field, (Clint) Eastwood's absence notwithstanding, is as strong as ever. Bill Murray and country musician Clay Walker won the Celebrity Challenge mini-tournament on Wednesday, beating actor James Woods and Glen Campbell.

"I know the press sometimes gets enamored with one player, and certainly Tiger Woods deserves that kind of adulation," Eastwood said. "But by the same token, there are an awful lot of tremendous players here. You're not going to see any better golf anywhere."

The field also includes 2002 champion Matt Gogel and runner-up Pat Perez, who cemented his reputation as one of the tour's most emotional young players with his club-pounding temper tantrum in last year's final round.

All of the pros in the field embrace the rare chance to play with amateurs. Mike Weir of Bright's Grove, Ont., fresh off his victory in the Bob Hope Classic last weekend, teamed with fellow-Canadian and good friend Wayne Gretzky - who limped around the course despite an injured ankle.

I got to play Pebble Beach in 2000 after they held the Open there. It was an amazing experience.

(oh, and it was an amazingly expensive experience)
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.

Round 1 Leaderboard:

1 Kevin Sutherland -6 F
    2 Robert Gamez -5 F
    2 Mike Weir -5 F
    4 Tommy Armour III -4 F
    4 Jason Caron -4 F
    4 Marco Dawson -4 F
    4 Ken Green -4 F
    4 Donnie Hammond -4 F
    4 Greg Kraft -4 F
    4 Tom Lehman -4 F

Bill Murray leads the celebrity golfers.

And in bigger news, Tiger Woods announces he'll return to play next week at the Buick Invitational.

wow... I guess he felt pretty darn good after the rehab.

I think Tiger is a little PO'd at Phil Mickelson right now, I expect to see him go with the driver on many holes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast