+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The French Open

Quote Originally Posted by AIWANNABE
    Basically I didn't like the aura she gave off in general, but now I am kind of on the fence with her.

ETA: Another reason I don't like her is because she would clutch her first or squeel in happiness when her opponent made the error, which is bad tennis etiquit. Doing that if you hit a winner is fine, but not when your opponent hits it out or in the net.
    for God's sake she was 16 at Winbledon and 17 now! I didn't like her at the beginning because of her grunts but then I realized, this girl is young, of course she behaves imaturely.

Quote Originally Posted by anniechen
    for God's sake she was 16 at Winbledon and 17 now! I didn't like her at the beginning because of her grunts but then I realized, this girl is young, of course she behaves imaturely.
    She isn't the only 16 year old on the tour. There are players who are 15, and act more maturely than her. I could understand if she was 12, but give me a break by using age as an excuse for her actions.

I've only see her play once last Wimbledon, but she seems like she has a lot of talent -- more so than a certain hot Russian tennis player we all know. She's terribly attractive though. I'm sure all the sponsors are praying that she'll be number be #1 soon. Hopefully she won't let it go to her head, and she'll actually concentrate on tennis rather than getting caught up in the party scene.

Sharapova is just the next Anna Kournikova, imho. Anna was a complete joke among true tennis fans. I don't get what all the fuss is about Maria. She's okay looking and plays well (as do many other young Russian players) but from what I've seen, she's already let her sucess go to her head. Plus, none of these skinny little girls can hold a candle to Gabriella Sabatini in her day. Now she was hawt! k Maria's got a long way to go before she really makes a lasting mark on tennis. At this point, she could just turn into a foot note.

As for Marat, yes, he is a hothead, but he's also very talented and the talent on the men's tour is much deeper than on the women's tour. Plus, when he lost the match to Robredo the other day, he was very nice about it in the press room. He basically said, "I just couldn't get it together. I don't want to take anything away from Robredo because he played very well. I was just off my game today." Unlike certain other players we know who (*couchVenuscough*) choose to slam their opponent when they lose.

I have less of an issue with players who get mad about calls and slam their rackets around a bit or just yell (not at anyone in particular), than I do with players who knock into their opponents on the change over and get nasty with the line judges for the rest of the match. The exception to that would be McEnroe because, well.... he's McEnroe
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    Sharapova is just the next Anna Kournikova, imho. Anna was a complete joke among true tennis fans. I don't get what all the fuss is about Maria. She's okay looking and plays well (as do many other young Russian players) but from what I've seen, she's already let her sucess go to her head. Plus, none of these skinny little girls can hold a candle to Gabriella Sabatini in her day. Now she was hawt! k Maria's got a long way to go before she really makes a lasting mark on tennis. At this point, she could just turn into a foot note.
    Though I dislike Maria, I think she is nothing like Anna. Anna was just famous as a junior player, not a player on the WTA. She never won a grand slam nor was she ever highly ranked. Maria is #2 for a reason and won Wimbledon for a reason. It is not because she is just a pretty face, but because she has talent. She is young so I think she will only get better and learn from her mistakes.

I do agree though, I think Maria lookwise is way overrated.

FORT Fogey
    i agree. i don't maria is really beautiful. but she should not be compared with anna. maria accomplished at lot i have to give her that,i am not a fan of hers but she is doing her stuff. Anna, i just don't want to go there.

Though I dislike Maria, I think she is nothing like Anna. Anna was just famous as a junior player, not a player on the WTA. She never won a grand slam nor was she ever highly ranked. Maria is #2 for a reason and won Wimbledon for a reason. It is not because she is just a pretty face, but because she has talent. She is young so I think she will only get better and learn from her mistakes.

I do agree though, I think Maria lookwise is way overrated.
    I meant that she's the new golden girl that "they" (tennis, the media, etc.) are using the pull in new fans. It really doesn't matter whether she can play or not - it certainly didn't with Anna. Yes, she's won a Grand Slam. When she's shown that she has staying power, then I'll change my opinion. I guess I have a problem with the arrogance I've seen in a lot of the young players, not just Maria. They could ALL learn some lessons in humility. Seems like they don't understand the difference between confidence and arrogance.
    Maybe she will learn from her mistakes and maybe not. If we're still talking about her in 10 years, then we'll know!

My feeling is that there are a lot of talented young players on the circuit right now. She's not getting the attention because of Wimbledon, but because of her looks. If you disagree, think about this: If Kuznetsova had won last year instead of Sharapova (and she was playing quite well for a while there, so it could have happened)), would we be seeing her on the pages of every fashion mag? I don't think so.

So, I guess my point was that, while Sharapova is talented, that's not really the reason she's the new hot thing.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I was surprised to look at the WTA rankings and see that Maria is just a few points away from #1. All it would take is for Lindsay to have a few bad tournaments and Maria to have a few good ones and it could happen.

I kind of wonder too if she will have as lasting an impression as some other tennis #1's though. It seems that other women that have made it that far have been much more dominant in their time, and at an earlier age. When Navratilova, Steffi, the Williams, or Hingis in their primes walked into center court, you knew the other person was toast. This doesn't seem to be the case for Sharapova.

I think part of the reason for this is that the talent pool is much better in the women's tour than it has been in the past. Either that or we're in a time of transition. There are probably 10 women that you wouldn't be too surprised to see win a given tournament. I kind of like it that way. It seemed like tennis got really boring when the Williams really hit their stride.

So it's Mary Pierce v. Justine Henin-Hardenne in the women's final. I just saw an interview of Justine where I thought she was very gracious. I'm rooting for Pierce only because she's getting to the end of her career and a French Open victory would be a great thing for her.

So, so, so, so, so happy to see Mary Pierce in the finals. It will be hard to take down Justine as she has been on a 22(?) game winning streak. Like Mariner, I hope she can pull it out as she is late in her career and it would be nice to see her get one last attempt.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast