+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The French Open

Oh god AIWANNABE. Those pictures suck.

Mariner

I'm sure they're used to having bad pics of themselves out there in the world. I can't imagine what I would look like if I were running all over the place, sweating up a storm without any makeup on.... maybe getting some of that clay on me. I'm glad I don't have to find out

Lindsay! Who knows if she can get past Pierce, but I'm happy to see her playing well. With all of the 15 year-olds in tennis, it's nice to see two "old ladies" duking it out!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Phew! I was on the edge of my seat for the Justine vs. Svetlana match. I think Justine saved 2 match points, then proceeded to break Svetlana twice in the end to win the match. It wasn't the most exciting match and both players didn't play their best but I'm relieved that Justine won. Bring on Maria!!!
    Last edited by K-Len; 05-30-2005 at 10:46 AM.

to all those Tennis fans out there. Another exciting day at Roland Garros.

2003 winner and 10th seed Justine Henin-Hardenne beat 6th seed and 2004 US Open winner Svetlana Kuznetsova 7-6, 4-6, 7-5 even know Kuznetsova won more points overall. The match lasted over 3 hours, a rarity for women's matches. 17 year old Ana Ivanovic (29) beat Francesca Schiavone (22) in three sets. And after a rain delay Maria Sharapova (2) beat Nuria Llagostera Vives 6-2, 6-3.

Over on the men's side Rafael Nadal (4) beat Sebastien Grosjean (23) in four sets after having the crowd againest him heavily yesturday. Last years finalist Guillermo Coria (8) lost to Nikolay Davydenko (12) in four sets. Nicolas Kiefer (28) withdrew from his match after some injuries allowing Guillermo Canas (9) to advance. And finally, David Ferrer (20) upset last year's winner Gaston Gaudio (5) in 5 sets.

If both Nadal and Federer win their matches, which they are expected to go, they will be facing each other. On the women's side the draw is absolutly amazing. Two veterans Pierce and Davenport will face off. 15-year-old Sesil Karatantcheva will take on Elena Likhovtseva (16). Up and coming star Ana Ivanovic will take on Nadia Petrova (7). And Justine Henin-Hardenne (10) will take on Maria Sharapova (2).

Safin is losing it at the moment on my television. He smashed his racket into the ground twice and just used it to take out the Perrier logo on a chair. The umpire showed great restraint and just warned him when he did actual damage. This could get fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner
    Safin is losing it at the moment on my television. He smashed his racket into the ground twice and just used it to take out the Perrier logo on a chair. The umpire showed great restraint and just warned him when he did actual damage. This could get fun.
    That was quite the display of anger. They are in the 5th set tied at 2-2.

6 all in the fifth set. This is a great match. Good thing Marat decided to get a grip and play instead of pouting.

ETA: Previous childish behavior aside, Safin just showed what a class act he can be. Down a break point in the last set, he called out the chair umpire to show him that he'd made a bad call on a serve. Robredo wins the game and match afterwards.
    Last edited by Mariner; 05-30-2005 at 03:56 PM.

Great day in tennis today. Both Federer & Nadal won their matches in straight sets and will be facing each other tomorrow.

On the women's side the two younger players, Ana Ivanovic & Sesil Karatantcheva, were eliminated by vererans Nadia Petrova & Elena Likhovtseva respectivly. The number one and two seeds Lindsay Davenport & Maria Sharapova were eliminated by Mary Pierce & Justine Henin-Hardenne respectivly. I am quite happy about both as I really dislike Maria and really like Mary. I think we will be seeing Henin-Hardenne and Pierce in the finals.

Aiwannabe, I was curious why you dislike Sharapova so much. Is she not very nice?

Quote Originally Posted by howie
    Aiwannabe, I was curious why you dislike Sharapova so much. Is she not very nice?
    It is funny you should say this because I was watching highlights during her match with Henin-Hardenne, and wondering who do I hate Sharapova? She reminds me of how I play with the clutch fists and the grunts (definitely not as many or as loud as her). In addition, she does hit some amazing shots. I think it all started during Wimbledon when she beat Serena who I am a big fan of. After the match many FORTers including myself thought she came off cocky and arrogant. Basically I didn't like the aura she gave off in general, but now I am kind of on the fence with her.

ETA: Another reason I don't like her is because she would clutch her first or squeel in happiness when her opponent made the error, which is bad tennis etiquit. Doing that if you hit a winner is fine, but not when your opponent hits it out or in the net.
    Last edited by AIWANNABE; 05-31-2005 at 11:34 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast